Black Iowa players critical of strength coach

This thing is going to boil over. Here is a list of former Iowa players speaking out:

James Daniels
Rafael Eubanks
Mike Daniels
Adam Gettis
Sean Draper
Amani Hooker
Tevaun Smith
Laron Taylor
Marcel Joly
Aaron Mends
Toren Young
Faith Ekakitie
Jaleel Johnson
Greg Mabin
Darian Cooper
Reggie Spearman
DJ Johnson
Jordan Lomax
Cedric Boswell
Manny Rugamba
Anthony Gair
Maurice Fleming

Stating the obvious, that list is concerning.

Agreed coaches cannot talk to players like this in 2020. I’d wager some players are in many cases far more verbally vicious to each other but there is obviously a lesser power difference. It sounds like Doyle and B. Ferentz both use locker room humor at other’s expense, I’d guess partly because it’s part of their personality and partly to be “one of the guys” , Jr High or middle school antics and mindset not befitting adult multimillionaires and mature leaders. Poor performers and lackadaisicals will have to be motivated by other kinder methods or cast off w/o derogatory explanation going forward. Respect should be primary.

Agree. It appears that lack of respect (real or perceived) is a major part of this.

Not a good look:
Iowa sophomore linebacker Dillon Doyle, son of the Hawkeyes strength coach placed on leave, enters transfer portal

It will be a crying shame if Kirk Ferentz has to retire. But, this may be what has to happen. All these things happened under his watch whether he is in the know or not.

When you have these many players speaking out over the span of his career, there is a loud alarm bell. I'd like to hear from the white players to see if there is a difference in observations.opinions.

Unintentional form of racism or not, it isn't right.

Is this the beginning of cultural changes that will sweep all of college football?

It will be a crying shame if Kirk Ferentz has to retire. But, this may be what has to happen. All these things happened under his watch whether he is in the know or not.

When you have these many players speaking out over the span of his career, there is a loud alarm bell. I'd like to hear from the white players to see if there is a difference in observations.opinions.

Unintentional form of racism or not, it isn't right.

Is this the beginning of cultural changes that will sweep all of college football?

The fact that there will be players there makes me think he is not stepping down. Will probably announce some new internal task force or something like that. If he was stepping down it would probably just be KF and the AD.

The fact that there will be players there makes me think he is not stepping down. Will probably announce some new internal task force or something like that. If he was stepping down it would probably just be KF and the AD.

Yep, he'll have a couple black players agreeing everything is hunky dory and they will sing Kum ba yah. Chances of him stepping down <1%

Would players take part in the press conference if Doyle was still part of the program though? I think there is a good chance they announce that Doyle is officially gone.

If Doyle is gone today, then this week was simply about buying time to finalize a buyout number along with a non-disclosure agreement.

If Doyle is gone today, then this week was simply about buying time to finalize a buyout number along with a non-disclosure agreement.

Maybe, but generally with CFB firings it's just "honor the contract" and everyone moves on.

Very rarely does anyone fire for cause / choose not to abide by the terms of the contract.

And as far as the athletic department you probably should do some due diligence to see what is actually going on... that takes time.

Maybe, but generally with CFB firings it's just "honor the contract" and everyone moves on.

Very rarely does anyone fire for cause / choose not to abide by the terms of the contract.

And as far as the athletic department you probably should do some due diligence to see what is actually going on... that takes time.
The difference here is that Brian Ferentz is on staff and has been embroiled in this mess (though not to the degree that Doyle has been). If Doyle is let go but Brian isn't, that could get messy. That's why I think there has been furious negotiating in dark rooms this week to send Doyle on his way with a muzzle on.

Or the three players could get up there and say, "I don't know what all the fuss is about. Everything's great." In which case the next question by the local reporters will be, "Sounds good to us. How does the team look this year?"

Where did I see that they've hired an outside independent group to do the investigation? Iowa needs Iowa football. We need Iowa football to be at their best when the Gophers beat them.

Would players take part in the press conference if Doyle was still part of the program though? I think there is a good chance they announce that Doyle is officially gone.

Sounds like no comment one way or the other on Doyle but not shockingly they now have an internal advisory committee within the team to address issues. Didn't watch it but doesn't sound like anything ground breaking just more CYA put out the fires BS.

Based on early summaries I've seen, the press conference today basically announced....nothing.

I guess the players expanded a bit on the atmosphere around the program and that there is indeed a problem with Doyle amongst team members.

Other than that, basically nothing else happened.

So, I guess I'm a little confused about why there was a presser at all.

Maybe somebody can explain it to me because I'll be honest, I don't understand it.

Based on early summaries I've seen, the press conference today basically announced....nothing.

I guess the players expanded a bit on the atmosphere around the program and that there is indeed a problem with Doyle amongst team members.

Other than that, basically nothing else happened.

So, I guess I'm a little confused about why there was a presser at all.

Maybe somebody can explain it to me because I'll be honest, I don't understand it.

A kumbaya moment for Kirk Ferentz.

He gone.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — Iowa cut ties with strength coach Chris Doyle on Monday, announcing a separation agreement that will pay him more than $1.1 million after former Hawkeyes accused him of mistreating and belittling African American players.

The school announced the move before a news conference by athletic director Gary Barta, who released a statement wishing Doyle well. The university also said a Missouri law firm, Husch Blackwell, will conduct an independent review of allegations relating to racial disparities within the football program.

“I have worked diligently to make a positive impact on the lives of student-athletes, support them as they speak out, and look forward to continued growth,” Doyle said in a prepared statement. "I am confident that my record and character will be confirmed in the course of the independent review. The university and I have reached an agreement and it is time to move on from Iowa football. My family and I are looking forward to the next chapter.”

Assuming I get my tickets, I will be leading my section in booing if any of our beloved gophers kneel before the National Anthem.

Assuming I get my tickets, I will be leading my section in booing if any of our beloved gophers kneel before the National Anthem.
If you paid any attention to pregame since PJ took over you'd know the team isn't on the field during the national anthem. This has been 3 years now.

Here we ago. An idiot making a post that has nothing to do with the thread.

The fact he puts that post on this thread should tell you everything you need to know about the person who posted. Some people hate it when people share their pain and struggle because they can't empathize. Taking a knee does not disrespect the flag it honors the fact we have yet to live into the dream it stands for.

Top Bottom