Big Visits This Weekend!

Yes. I believe they can be removed at any time for "violation of team rules".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scholarships are year to year. They can choose not to renew for any or no reason. That rarely happens to recruited scholarship players because it sends a bad message ("Come to the U of M! We might revoke your scholarship after two years after using your redshirt year which would mean you'd have to drop to D-II or lose a season of eligibility if you want to be a scholarship player elsewhere..."). You do see it with walk-ons that get a scholarship, especially those that won't start their 5th year.

For example, I couldn't believe Coach Kill gave Moses Alipate a fifth year under scholarship (recruited player). He had ignored JK about his weight and had zero chance of seeing the field. But JK honored it even though he didn't have to under any rule. The other example is Rhoda who had been a walk-on and wasn't going to get a scholarship for his fifth year. I believe that's changed now.

That said, with an incident like this I have to think the main four have zero chance of retaining their scholarships. The other 5 it really depends on what the findings are. If it's just that they deleted some texts but weren't there and weren't involved, I could see them keeping scholarships. If it's anything more serious then probably not.

Scholarships are year to year. They can choose not to renew for any or no reason. That rarely happens to recruited scholarship players because it sends a bad message ("Come to the U of M! We might revoke your scholarship after two years after using your redshirt year which would mean you'd have to drop to D-II or lose a season of eligibility if you want to be a scholarship player elsewhere..."). You do see it with walk-ons that get a scholarship, especially those that won't start their 5th year.

For example, I couldn't believe Coach Kill gave Moses Alipate a fifth year under scholarship (recruited player). He had ignored JK about his weight and had zero chance of seeing the field. But JK honored it even though he didn't have to under any rule. The other example is Rhoda who had been a walk-on and wasn't going to get a scholarship for his fifth year. I believe that's changed now.

That said, with an incident like this I have to think the main four have zero chance of retaining their scholarships. The other 5 it really depends on what the findings are. If it's just that they deleted some texts but weren't there and weren't involved, I could see them keeping scholarships. If it's anything more serious then probably not.

Not entirely true. The Big Ten conference changed the scholarships rules two years ago where scholarships are guaranteed for the duration of a student athletes enrollment as long as they remain in good standing with the school, athletic department, and community. You can no longer kick a kid of scholarship for no reason.

They'd better be very careful going that route though. Let's say they win their appeal and then still get their scholarships revoked, it will look, on the outside, as if they were still being punished for this event. They have a right to an appeal and if they won their appeal and their scholarship is still revoked. . .it's a bad situation.

If they win their appeal, the U will not remove their scholarships.

That usually involves the head coach.

I think the strategy going in (and the right one) has been from the start to keep PJ as far as way as possible from the old mess.

Pulling out the team rules thing may mean involving PJ, not gud. We don't need news stories with PJ and the assault thing.

Full visit list for this weekend from each recruiting site...

247 Vist List
3 star - 0.8707 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St)
3 star - 0.8641 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville)
3 star - 0.8499 - Chris Autman-Bell, WR (Gopher commit)
3 star - 0.8333 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers)
3 star - 0.8247 - Boye Mafe, DE (uncommitted, Offers: Rutgers, Wyoming)

Rivals Vist List
3 star - 5.6 - Jalen Holston, RB (Va Tech commit, Offers: Va Tech, Florida, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ga Tech, Michigan St)
3 star - 5.6 - Samuel Barnes, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Baylor)
3 star - 5.6 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville)
3 star - 5.6 - Chris Autman-Bell, WR (Gopher commit)
3 star - 5.6 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St)
3 star - 5.5 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers)
2 star - 5.4 - Reyondous Estes, ATH (Gopher commit)
2 star - 5.4 - Boye Mafe, DE (uncommitted, Offers: Rutgers, Wyoming)

Scout Vist List
3 star - Boye Mafe, DE (uncommitted, Offers: Rutgers, Wyoming)
3 star - Chris Autman-Bell, WR (Gopher commit)
2 star - Jeffrey Lubin, S (uncommitted, Offers: Pitt, Iowa St, Rutgers)
2 star - Justus Harris, CB (Cincy commit, Offers: Cincinnati, Ga Tech, Vanderbilt, Rutgers)

247 Vist List
3 star - 0.8707 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St)
3 star - 0.8641 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville)
3 star - 0.8333 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers)

Rivals Vist List
3 star - 5.6 - Jalen Holston, RB (Va Tech commit, Offers: Va Tech, Florida, West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ga Tech, Michigan St)
3 star - 5.6 - Samuel Barnes, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Baylor)
3 star - 5.6 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville)
3 star - 5.6 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St)
3 star - 5.5 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers)

Scout Vist List
2 star - Justus Harris, CB (Cincy commit, Offers: Cincinnati, Ga Tech, Vanderbilt, Rutgers)

Is Corey Bolds the #1 target?

Not entirely true. The Big Ten conference changed the scholarships rules two years ago where scholarships are guaranteed for the duration of a student athletes enrollment as long as they remain in good standing with the school, athletic department, and community. You can no longer kick a kid of scholarship for no reason.

Think that's football and bball specific isn't it?

247 Vist List

Rivals Vist List
3 star - 5.6 - Corey Bolds,DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville)

Scout Vist List

Thanks for the list!

They'd better be very careful going that route though. Let's say they win their appeal and then still get their scholarships revoked, it will look, on the outside, as if they were still being punished for this event. They have a right to an appeal and if they won their appeal and their scholarship is still revoked. . .it's a bad situation.

That usually involves the head coach.

I think the strategy going in (and the right one) has been from the start to keep PJ as far as way as possible from the old mess.

Pulling out the team rules thing may mean involving PJ, not gud. We don't need news stories with PJ and the assault thing.

Agree with you both. The question was if they win their appeal, is there any way they could still lose their scholarship. I believe the answer is yes with the "violation of team rules" approach. I think that would be a terrible thing to do to anyone who won their appeal here, but it is also a fair question with our scholly count looking potentially over 85 at this point.

Frenetic seven days before NSD!

Let's hope the fortune cookies that we'd pop open bring good fortunes.

go4rube, thanks for linking to the player's 247 page. Very helpful, much appreciated!!

Masillon OH - a new pipeline developing? I sure hope so.

We'd like to have Thayer Munford while we are at it. He and Blaise Andries can rock star OT bookends.

Masillon OH - a new pipeline developing? I sure hope so.

I'm hoping that Warriner has enough clout built up from his tOSU days to get some top recruits out of Ohio. He seems to be aiming high with his targets so far. I'm liking that trend.

They are both gone now. This last week will be a real grind.

RIP, yeah it will be. Maybe that's why they offered Malcom Robinson. Interesting though that Bolds would keep the tweet saying that he's visiting pinned to his profile.

Updated as of 1:00 pm Thursday...

247 Vist List
3 star - 0.8707 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St) - REMOVED
3 star - 0.8641 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville) - REMOVED

3 star - 0.8406 - Malcolm Robinson, OG/DT (uncommitted, Offers: Virginia, Maryland, Boston College) - ADDED
3 star - 0.8133 - Justus Harris, CB (Cincy commit, Offers: Cincinnati, Ga Tech, Vanderbilt, Rutgers) - ADDED
2 star - 0.7958 - Jeffrey Lubin, CB/S (uncommitted, Offers: Pitt, Iowa St, Rutgers) - ADDED

Not ranked - Royal Silver, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Syracuse, Florida Atlantic, Memphis) - ADDED

Rivals Vist List

Scout Vist List
3 star - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers) - ADDED
3 star - Malcolm Robinson, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Virginia, Maryland, Boston College) - ADDED

2 star - Jeffrey Lubin, CB/S (uncommitted, Offers: Pitt, Iowa St, Rutgers)
not ranked - Royal Silver, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Syracuse, Florida Atlantic, Memphis) - ADDED

Updated as of 1:00 pm Thursday...

247 Vist List
3 star - 0.8707 - Michael Warren, RB (uncommitted, Offers: Cincinnati, Kentucky, Rutgers, Boston College, Iowa St) - REMOVED
3 star - 0.8641 - Corey Bolds, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Penn St, Cal, Louisville) - REMOVED

3 star - 0.8406 - Malcolm Robinson, OG/DT (uncommitted, Offers: Virginia, Maryland, Boston College) - ADDED
3 star - 0.8133 - Justus Harris, CB (Cincy commit, Offers: Cincinnati, Ga Tech, Vanderbilt, Rutgers) - ADDED
2 star - 0.7958 - Jeffrey Lubin, CB/S (uncommitted, Offers: Pitt, Iowa St, Rutgers) - ADDED

Not ranked - Royal Silver, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Syracuse, Florida Atlantic, Memphis) - ADDED

Rivals Vist List

Scout Vist List
3 star - Ihmir Smith-Marsette, CB (uncommitted, Offers: Iowa, Boston College, Rutgers) - ADDED
3 star - Malcolm Robinson, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Virginia, Maryland, Boston College) - ADDED

2 star - Jeffrey Lubin, CB/S (uncommitted, Offers: Pitt, Iowa St, Rutgers)
not ranked - Royal Silver, DT (uncommitted, Offers: Syracuse, Florida Atlantic, Memphis) - ADDED

Thanks for keeping us in the game!

I didn't see that before, thanks. I did notice there is a key component:

Scholarships will be "neither reduced nor cancelled" as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ntees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes Other sites have a similar statement...

Obviously as of now the argument can be made that they are not in good standing in the community and possibly not within the athletic department (whatever that means).

For the main four (and Djam though he's not relevant to the scholarship talk), what does "winning" mean? I could be wrong, but I just don't see them getting out of there with zero punishment. Even if they're just given probation (which would be a win vs. expulsion) that's still a statement that they did something wrong and removing the scholarship could just be an extension of that.

I don't know how likely the above scenario would be. Certainly if they are suspended I'd be really surprised if they kept their scholarship when/if they came back. I do agree that any of the players that are not punished at all should not have scholarships revoked.

I do wonder if the board itself has the authority to revoke their athletic scholarships? Or if that's outside their scope.

Do you think Corey Bolds and Michael Warren have a sixth sense that all ten players will get lighter judgements meaning the expulsions turn into a year's probation and for the others either complete exoneration of probation?

Then what happens to the scholarship limit? It is still smells like a f#rt no matter which way the wind blows.

Do you think Corey Bolds and Michael Warren have a sixth sense that all ten players will get lighter judgements meaning the expulsions turn into a year's probation and for the others either complete exoneration of probation?

Then what happens to the scholarship limit? It is still smells like a f#rt no matter which way the wind blows.

Warren has a kid in Ohio and Bonds has academic issues.

Top Bottom