Ben Johnson is a Disaster

It's funny that the posters who complain about other posters complaining about historically bad basketball are the ones bumping this thread.

It's good to see the Gophers doing what they should be doing and blowing out cupcakes. I guess some forgot that this is supposed to be the expectation every year. Being a complete disaster for 2 years will do that.

I'm excited to see if this team can compete with teams that have a pulse.

It's funny that the posters who complain about other posters complaining about historically bad basketball are the ones bumping this thread.

It's good to see the Gophers doing what they should be doing and blowing out cupcakes. I guess some forgot that this is supposed to be the expectation every year. Being a complete disaster for 2 years will do that.

I'm excited to see if this team can compete with teams that have a pulse.
If you are blowing out the cupcakes it generally means you have a shot at having a good conference season. If you cannot blow out the cupcakes- you have problems. Nothing is assured here after two easy games but they have talent and there is upside.... and so far we have gotten very little from Payne who is going to be a really good player. If you have good inside play and guys on the perimeter that can shoot- you have a chance.

I am glad you are seeing the potential.

If you are blowing out the cupcakes it generally means you have a shot at having a good conference season. If you cannot blow out the cupcakes- you have problems. Nothing is assured here after two easy games but they have talent and there is upside.... and so far we have gotten very little from Payne who is going to be a really good player. If you have good inside play and guys on the perimeter that can shoot- you have a chance.

I am glad you are seeing the potential.
Everyone gets all of this. The fact that a CBJ apologist is so excited that we beat a cupcake that they would bump this thread is something worse than pathetic.

Beating two mid major teams by 20+ points doesn’t mean they have turned the corner. They did what they we hoped they would do, but let’s see how the Missouri game goes next week. The critics will always be unhappy when they beat mid majors by large margins. But if they don’t blow them out the critics are still snarky. You can’t win with some of these people.

Everyone gets all of this. The fact that a CBJ apologist is so excited that we beat a cupcake that they would bump this thread is something worse than pathetic.
LOL! I'm glad Moniker bumped it. If we had looked bad and won by 5 this thread would have appeared. We both know this. I have complained plenty about Ben but intend to be positive about him and the team every time they give me reason to do so. Some of the negativity has been a little over the top and deserves a comeback.

LOL! I'm glad Moniker bumped it. If we had looked bad and won by 5 this thread would have appeared. We both know this. I have complained plenty about Ben but intend to be positive about him and the team every time they give me reason to do so. Some of the negativity has been a little over the top and deserves a comeback.
Of course they would have because losing to UTSA is evidence that Ben Johnson is a disaster. Unfortunately for your point, beating UTSA does not disprove your point. In fact, the celebration over this win kind of shows just how pathetically low the bar is now.

This is really simple logic - if someone was to bump this thread after a 4 point loss to Ohio State - they'd look idiotic. That's an insane standard. But it's just as idiotic as bumping it after beating UTSA.

Of course they would have because losing to UTSA is evidence that Ben Johnson is a disaster. Unfortunately for your point, beating UTSA does not disprove your point. In fact, the celebration over this win kind of shows just how pathetically low the bar is now.

This is really simple logic - if someone was to bump this thread after a 4 point loss to Ohio State - they'd look idiotic. That's an insane standard. But it's just as idiotic as bumping it after beating UTSA.
Nailed it. The bar is so low right now.

And apparently we have fans blowing their loads after beating two schools whose names I have already forgotten.

Last edited:

it's a moot point.

the people who want Johnson gone will come up with a reason to criticize anything the team does. obviously, the last two years the team made that easy. maybe this year, it won't be as easy. but rest assured, the critics will still be critics.

I don't think any results would be enough to get some of the critics to change their minds. Maybe if the Gophers finished in the top half of the conference - or made a big run in the conference tournament - or won a couple of games in the NCAA tournament.

but as long as Ben Johnson is the coach of the team, the critics will criticize.

it's a moot point.

the people who want Johnson gone will come up with a reason to criticize anything the team does. obviously, the last two years the team made that easy. maybe this year, it won't be as easy. but rest assured, the critics will still be critics.

I don't think any results would be enough to get some of the critics to change their minds. Maybe if the Gophers finished in the top half of the conference - or made a big run in the conference tournament - or won a couple of games in the NCAA tournament.

but as long as Ben Johnson is the coach of the team, the critics will criticize.
PJ Fleck is doing his best to take some heat off Johnson.

it's a moot point.

CBJ has made us sit through two abysmal seasons. A couple of wins against no-name schools doesn’t get us back to even. You either need to do something very noteworthy this year or build a couple of fun, exciting years in the next couple years to just get us back to even. It doesn’t help that last year not only did they lose, they played a slow, plodding, boring brand of basketball. Sometimes you can lose, but at least it’s entertaining. Last year (and largely year one as well) didn’t even have that. I’m looking forward to brighter days, and hope that’s starting now. But CBJ has dug himself a grave he’s going to have to claw himself out of before he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Coach Johnson needs this W in a big way. It will help get the "monkey off his back" and give the squad confidence going forward. Not saying that Missouri is a great team but there is a certain amount of prestige and hope going forward getting a W against a SEC team.

Thus far this has been a fun team to watch. I hope I can say the same thing after tomorrow night.

Top Bottom