Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Thankfully we kept Ben around so he could put together the worst non-conference schedule in the history of Gopher basketball.

Ben continues to set new lows for Gopher basketball in every possible way.
I normally enjoy your posts and agree with the majority of them.

But this was a stupid, trolly, pat yourself on the back post.

Do better bro

I'm not as down on CBJ as the rest of this board. Barring injuries, I think the team can win at least eight games in the B1G this year. The back court will be almost infinitely better and the team will have a lot more depth.

On the negative side, Williams will be a morgue unless the team really surprises. (There will be no fan buildup or momentum from the preseason.) Secondly, NIL and transfers will likely throw a wrench into whatever CBJ is able to accomplish this year.

Unless Coyle can raise a few million bucks in NIL money, the program will languish. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's halfway out of the door.

so hoping we can change the name of this thread to ben johnson was a disaster and we go from good guys playing bad basketball to good guys playing good basketball

...and the vikings win the super bowl, and my brother in law moves out. if you're old and your teeth fall out, do you still get money from the tooth fairy?

I'm not as down on CBJ as the rest of this board. Barring injuries, I think the team can win at least eight games in the B1G this year. The back court will be almost infinitely better and the team will have a lot more depth.

On the negative side, Williams will be a morgue unless the team really surprises. (There will be no fan buildup or momentum from the preseason.) Secondly, NIL and transfers will likely throw a wrench into whatever CBJ is able to accomplish this year.

Unless Coyle can raise a few million bucks in NIL money, the program will languish. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's halfway out of the door.
NIL is neither here nor there right now. Zero to do with the state of the program or atmosphere in the Barn.

The current lack of enthusiasm in the program is 100% related to the back to back historically bad, last place B1G seasons we are coming off.

I'm more optimistic than most about the upcoming season. I'll be at damn near all of these cupcake non conference games, just like every year, and the atmosphere is going to be depressing.

Only thing that will fix that is WINNING. Time will tell.

This team will be lucky to get to 4 wins in the B1G. And it has nothing to do with NIL. Most other B1G teams are in the exact same situation with NIL, or even worse than the Gophers. Yet their programs are far and away better. Ben is the reason for the state of the program, no one else.

I normally enjoy your posts and agree with the majority of them.

But this was a stupid, trolly, pat yourself on the back post.

Do better bro

In fairness to GWG, he put his criticism in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster" thread. So far we have 120 pages and counting of debate on this topic. He didn't sabotage another thread not dedicated to views on Ben Johnson. You chose to click on this thread.

Secondly, he isn't wrong. This schedule is beyond embarrassing.

I can't blame the fan base for being down on Gopher hoops. And the schedule certainly won't help. I will be watching as I have in the past and hope to get to a game or two.

However, IMO the Gophers have the best depth in Ben's short tenure. The question of course is are they BIG quality players other than Garcia and Payne? The NC games won't help us much but should at least give us a shot at the NIT, IF we can muster at least 7-8 BIG wins. Like the Little Train book reads: "I think I can, I think I can"!

In fairness to GWG, he put his criticism in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster" thread. So far we have 120 pages and counting of debate on this topic. He didn't sabotage another thread not dedicated to views on Ben Johnson. You chose to click on this thread.

Secondly, he isn't wrong. This schedule is beyond embarrassing.

I'll give you the first point. As to the 120 pages of this thread, well, I've read some of your posts and you seem like a gentleman, so I'll ask you - How many times does one have to kick a wounded horse? I'm not a fan of mob behavior even if it is only online.

Yes, the schedule is exceptionally weak. Everyone knows that and that fact has been repeated and jeered endlessly. Apparently, many on here have no concept of when "enough is enough." I will say that if all those easy games in the early part of the season result in more playing time throughout the roster in those games, then this schedule might demonstrate value as time goes by.

I can't blame the fan base for being down on Gopher hoops. And the schedule certainly won't help. I will be watching as I have in the past and hope to get to a game or two.

However, IMO the Gophers have the best depth in Ben's short tenure. The question of course is are they BIG quality players other than Garcia and Payne? The NC games won't help us much but should at least give us a shot at the NIT, IF we can muster at least 7-8 BIG wins. Like the Little Train book reads: "I think I can, I think I can"!

Good post. One bright side of a schedule like this is that fans should be able to see most of the roster play something more than a couple of garbage minutes at the end of a game or two. If we can't empty the bench against Bethune Cookman, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and IUPUI, we'll know we have some competitiveness issues.

The schedule is a problem for their NIT hopes as well. They will also need quality wins outside of the conference and the schedule gives them very little hope of that.

Because of that they will likely have to win at least 10 in the B1G. Nebraska and Wisconsin both won 9 in the B1G last season, and both played significantly harder non conference schedules than the Gophers will this season. But Nebraska still didn’t make the NIT because they lost to the other P6 teams they played, and Wisconsin won a few and made it.

I'll give you the first point. As to the 120 pages of this thread, well, I've read some of your posts and you seem like a gentleman, so I'll ask you - How many times does one have to kick a wounded horse? I'm not a fan of mob behavior even if it is only online.

Yes, the schedule is exceptionally weak. Everyone knows that and that fact has been repeated and jeered endlessly. Apparently, many on here have no concept of when "enough is enough." I will say that if all those easy games in the early part of the season result in more playing time throughout the roster in those games, then this schedule might demonstrate value as time goes by.
Every team is dealing with the transfer portal. We're not the only program in the nation with new faces coming in and many unanswered questions about who the core nucleus will be.

God forbid we test line-up combinations against good competition. Or even against mediocre programs.

The fact that we dropped out of a competitive tournament to play more 300+ NET teams infuriates me. And then CBJ goes on a podcast and talks about the schedule like it's some kind of juggernaut because we're playing San Francisco, Missouri, and Ball State while raving about how his team is "hungry to compete."

Give me a break. I've been patient and bought into Ben's vision of "building the right way." We have solid pieces in place now with depth. Demonstrate an iota of confidence in your team, coach!

Our pre-season scheduling condemns us to the NIT at best, even if we exceed all expectations and finish around .500 in the Big Ten.

In the era of advanced analytics, it's known that hard-fought losses against good teams are better than wins against terrible teams. Playing the bottom of MEAC and the SWAC only offers downside.

Do you want to create a "buzz" around the program? Play good basketball against respectable teams. This schedule offers a 0% chance of garnering positive attention toward the program even if we're stacking "Ws."

Every team is dealing with the transfer portal. We're not the only program in the nation with new faces coming in and many unanswered questions about who the core nucleus will be.

God forbid we test line-up combinations against good competition. Or even against mediocre programs.

The fact that we dropped out of a competitive tournament to play more 300+ NET teams infuriates me. And then CBJ goes on a podcast and talks about the schedule like it's some kind of juggernaut because we're playing San Francisco, Missouri, and Ball State while raving about how his team is "hungry to compete."

Give me a break. I've been patient and bought into Ben's vision of "building the right way." We have solid pieces in place now with depth. Demonstrate an iota of confidence in your team, coach!

Our pre-season scheduling condemns us to the NIT at best, even if we exceed all expectations and finish around .500 in the Big Ten.

In the era of advanced analytics, it's known that hard-fought losses against good teams are better than wins against terrible teams. Playing the bottom of MEAC and the SWAC only offers downside.

Do you want to create a "buzz" around the program? Play good basketball against respectable teams. This schedule offers a 0% chance of garnering positive attention toward the program even if we're stacking "Ws."
And now Ben is claiming that he dropped out of the Vegas event because he intended to schedule two more Power 5 games but they "fell through". Such BS. Do both then. That would still have left you at least 6 cupcakes.

Or the schedule may prove dismal if the team ends up on the bubble. No thanks to the nit.

And now Ben is claiming that he dropped out of the Vegas event because he intended to schedule two more Power 5 games but they "fell through". Such BS. Do both then. That would still have left you at least 6 cupcakes.
I wasn't aware of this.

Even if we got spanked, I would have loved a shot at Dutcher's SDSU as a measuring stick against the CBB elite. I would have definitely traveled to this one.

Oh, gee, thanks for the lesson. I didn't know about them thar analytics thingies.

Look, the schedule is what it is and one of those things is "FINALIZED!" I could drone on and on about why this is a substandard schedule but I prefer to look at other possible aspects instead of following the moaning pack.

I wasn't aware of this.

Even if we got spanked, I would have loved a shot at Dutcher's SDSU as a measuring stick against the CBB elite. I would have definitely traveled to this one.
Poor Ben. His job is hard.

The U's non-league portion includes just one road game Nov. 26 against San Francisco at the Golden State Warriors' arena.

Ten of the 11 nonconference games are at Williams Arena this season, most notably the first of a home-and-home against Missouri on Nov. 16.

The Big Ten-ACC Challenge ended after 24 seasons due to TV rights issues. And the Gavitt Games vs. Big East opponents didn't include the Gophers this year. Johnson decided not to play in the Main Event in Las Vegas to possibly host two high-major opponents, but those teams ended up backing out. That created a different type of early schedule.

"Scheduling is hard," Johnson said. "It's like recruiting. Nobody tells you the truth. There were a couple things that we had that fell through that were Power Five type games other than Missouri. But the good thing when you see our schedule, it's a different variety of teams with style of play. You want your team to build confidence and momentum. And you also want to have home games. That was my biggest thing."

Poor Ben. His job is hard.

The U's non-league portion includes just one road game Nov. 26 against San Francisco at the Golden State Warriors' arena.

Ten of the 11 nonconference games are at Williams Arena this season, most notably the first of a home-and-home against Missouri on Nov. 16.

The Big Ten-ACC Challenge ended after 24 seasons due to TV rights issues. And the Gavitt Games vs. Big East opponents didn't include the Gophers this year. Johnson decided not to play in the Main Event in Las Vegas to possibly host two high-major opponents, but those teams ended up backing out. That created a different type of early schedule.

"Scheduling is hard," Johnson said. "It's like recruiting. Nobody tells you the truth. There were a couple things that we had that fell through that were Power Five type games other than Missouri. But the good thing when you see our schedule, it's a different variety of teams with style of play. You want your team to build confidence and momentum. And you also want to have home games. That was my biggest thing."

All this guy does is play the victim card. He's a proven loser, time and again. It's why there is zero hope for this program until he is gone.

So your only comeback is to call me names. That’s what a loser does. No wonder you defend Ben.

There’s a huge difference between how Ben speaks and how winning coaches speak.

It’s too bad reality offends you so much.
How would you describe someone who feels the need to go online everyday and rip a hometown guy, Gopher alumi, who did nothing more than apply for his dream job and is doing his very best to elevate the program? Sounds like a loser, imo. I have no doubt CBJ will be fired, but I support my team and look forward to every season.

This team will be lucky to get to 4 wins in the B1G. And it has nothing to do with NIL. Most other B1G teams are in the exact same situation with NIL, or even worse than the Gophers. Yet their programs are far and away better. Ben is the reason for the state of the program, no one else.
The state of the men's and woman's BB programs is in large part due to Coyle and his choice of coaches.

How would you describe someone who feels the need to go online everyday and rip a hometown guy, Gopher alumi, who did nothing more than apply for his dream job and is doing his very best to elevate the program? Sounds like a loser, imo. I have no doubt CBJ will be fired, but I support my team and look forward to every season.
Ben seems like a nice guy and I'm sure he wants to succeed. Calling him a loser is a bit harsh. But saying "I have no doubt he'll be fired" isn't that different then what @GopherWeatherGuy is saying at the end of the day. We'll all be thrilled if he pulls off a miracle this year. That doesn't require us to delude ourselves into believing it's likely to happen.

Top Bottom