Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Gopher Hole Current Arguments (sarcasm alert)

Argument 1: PikIell at Rutgers should have been fired after year 3.

Argument 2: PikIell at Rutgers should have been fired after year 2!

Argument 3: PikIell at Rutgers should have been fired after year 1!!

Argument 4: PikIell at Rutgers should never been hired. He should never have been hired!!!

Argument 5: Fire the AD! Clean house!

Argument 6: Guys, he and Rutgers are 16-7, 8-4 in the Big Ten. Good that you boneheads didn 't get him fired at year 2!!

I was challenged to come up with new material -- that my old material was used up.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

He filled them with Ramburg and Betts. Samuels was brought on earlier but your point still stands. I think it was mostly #2. Correct it’s been a failure so far. He can’t afford to wiff again.
It goes further back to when he signed Cooper as his PG. That was the slot that needed to be filled with a speedy point. Once you claim you have your man, the chances you are getting another one get slimmer. Cooper is a good sixth man 2G on a solid team.... probably our 3rd best player. Nice player but not the PG we needed. He had something to sell once he got Garcia....

It goes further back to when he signed Cooper as his PG. That was the slot that needed to be filled with a speedy point. Once you claim you have your man, the chances you are getting another one get slimmer. Cooper is a good sixth man 2G on a solid team.... probably our 3rd best player. Nice player but not the PG we needed. He had something to sell once he got Garcia....
Yeah the wiff I mentioned was Cooper at PG. I don’t know whom was better that visited or all of the other options that were realistic to us, but once Cooper came our bed was made with the PGs and it’s obviously hampered us.

The chorus is growing louder and louder. "Pikiell should have been fired after season two! He stunk."

Yes he did. But by year 4 he was good and then after that very good.

Fire after year 2?????

View attachment 23705
You really have a hard on for this Pikiell comparison, don’t you? It’s really simple. Pickiell proved he can be a competent head coach at a previous stop. CBJ has not. The fact that you can’t see the difference is flabbergasting. CBJ learned under two underperforming coaches that got fired while Pikiell learned on the job at Stony Brook. If CBJ was a successful head coach at the SW Institute for the Blind, I’d cut him some more slack, as we would have some data to go on other than his horrendous 5-26 conference record. But right now, all we have is blind faith.

I watched this press conference. I don't think Coach Johnson is a disaster at all. I think he's very grounded and honest.

I watched this press conference. I don't think Coach Johnson is a disaster at all. I think he's very grounded and honest.

Yikes.

He basically said they’re relying on young guys and he feels bad for his young guys because other teams are able to hide their young guys and hence other teams’ guys don’t need to be relied upon to get their teams wins. But for the Gophers since there are injuries and young guys they ARE being relied upon.

Yikes.

Yikes.

He basically said they’re relying on young guys and he feels bad for his young guys because other teams are able to hide their young guys and hence other teams’ guys don’t need to be relied upon to get their teams wins. But for the Gophers since there are injuries and young guys they ARE being relied upon.

Yikes.

What's "yikes" about it? Most freshman outside of the top players coming out of high school are asked to do little more than be role players. The young guys on our team have potential....but are not seasoned enough to do what is being asked of them. Big Ten is a tough conference and a lot of teams have guys that are three, four, five years older than these guys.

As a person? He's a really good man, solid.

Coaching for Indiana looked dynamite.

Not sure why they were lame the next two games.

The Ohio State game was excellent.

Michigan good.

Comparing Johnson to Pikiell, they both looked bad first two years. Pikiell had more Coaching experience. Johnson appears better at recruiting and has flashed good coaching.

We do not know all the whys some things didn't look good in games. They were not able to do what the coaches said sometimes. The coaching decisions appeared questionable sometimes.

Johnson with these new players and young players may reinvent this team a year sooner than Pikiell.

Yikes.

Yikes.

We start 4 guys with 3+ years of experience. Ben loves making excuses.

This has been beaten to death.

Star Tribune earlier: Gophers play the most freshman minutes. Yes, they are the youngest. Well until Carrington got hurt.

Come on man, telling us that.

We all know about Payne and JOJ.

Star Tribune earlier: Gophers play the most freshman minutes. Yes, they are the youngest. Well until Carrington got hurt.

Did either of you listen to the press conference or are you simply speaking out of your anal sphincter yet again?

Last year they were all 24 years old

So he said you take 4 or five guys out of a lineup and any team would be in a hard spot… I don’t think anyone is giving the team grief for the Indiana game.

But for northwestern and Rutgers who are the four or 5 guys? Besides Garcia, who would’ve played this year and was actually contributing meaning stats. (He knew fox and ihnen were out all year- this leads to his roster construction choices - poor) and Carrington wasn’t moving the needle so his loss isn’t really that big (from a production standpoint).

At the end of the day, these blowouts are against our standard roster, minus Garcia (best player) and carrington (non-factor).

His answer for why they are getting blown out is such bs

So he said you take 4 or five guys out of a lineup and any team would be in a hard spot… I don’t think anyone is giving the team grief for the Indiana game.

But for northwestern and Rutgers who are the four or 5 guys? Besides Garcia, who would’ve played this year and was actually contributing meaning stats. (He knew fox and ihnen were out all year- this leads to his roster construction choices - poor) and Carrington wasn’t moving the needle so his loss isn’t really that big (from a production standpoint).

At the end of the day, these blowouts are against our standard roster, minus Garcia (best player) and carrington (non-factor).

His answer for why they are getting blown out is such bs
I take your thoughts with a grain of salt, considering your low basketball IQ.

This isn’t close to accurate and I thought Pitino should have been fired 2 years earlier.
Yeah.
The analysis of Johnson has nothing to do with Pitino.

Pitino had a roster as good as it was ever going to get in 2018-2019

The team was under .500 in the conference.
Hard to fire a guy after winning an NCAA tourney game (though we did the coach before). But after 2018-2019 is when I decided it was never going to happen with Pitino.

Johnson being terrible has zero to do with Pitino. Kind of like how Brewster sucking had nothing to do with mason.

You can be a great Human and a terrible big ten basketball coach

This is the lowest point in at least 35 years of Gopher basketball. Maybe ever. IMO it's virtually certain Ben will be fired sometime between now and April 1, 2025. It's just a question of how long we want to drag it out.

I know they won't, but what will be done eventually should be done immediately (or in this case at the end of the season.)

You lose to Purdue who might be the best team in the country by 30, meh those things can happen. You play back to back games against MD and NW who might be fine teams but lose by a combined 70, you should be fired on the spot. It's clear at this point if you think CBJ is even a mediocre coach you know nothing about basketball.

You lose to Purdue who might be the best team in the country by 30, meh those things can happen. You play back to back games against MD and NW who might be fine teams but lose by a combined 70, you should be fired on the spot. It's clear at this point if you think CBJ is even a mediocre coach you know nothing about basketball.
NW, then Rutgers, then Maryland. 3 absolute no shows in a row. Throwing up a stinker (Purdue game #2) or losing by 20 even while playing decent because the talent gap is huge (see Purdue game #1) can happen. This is 3 embarrassments from a team that mostly quit.

You cant be serious the u pays this coach almost 2 million dollars a year, why? Hire a coach like south dakota state has and save at least a million or more.

Top Bottom