Ben Johnson is a Disaster

I can understand hiring Johnson. Mistakes happen. However, Letting this massive mistake continue is orders of magnitude worse.

He's not going to succeed. He's in over his head. It's a do-over. The only questions are when, and how much damage is done prior to the inevitable.

Do it.
It's the classic sunk cost fallacy.

Does anybody actually know Ben's buyout?

this was discussed before. I think I remember the figure $8-million if fired after this season. (four years left on contract at about $2-million a year). someone please correct me if I'm wrong. and I also think that it goes down every year unless (wait for the laugh) there is a contract extension.

this was discussed before. I think I remember the figure $8-million if fired after this season. (four years left on contract at about $2-million a year). someone please correct me if I'm wrong. and I also think that it goes down every year unless (wait for the laugh) there is a contract extension.
$8 million in a department financially struggling is real money, even with increased TV rights on the way.

Holy shit - He's not going anywhere with that buyout with the way this University operates.

That hurts.

Back to hoping for big time transfer guards.

Mark Coyle is a joke as an athletic director. Go back to Syracuse or go anywhere else and wreck their sports programs.
Let's be honest, if football and men's hockey are doing well .... that's Minnesota.

Volleyball success has been a treat. Hope it continues.

Anybody throw around racism yet? No? Well, then we are clearly not at the end.

Mark Coyle is the problem. Otherwise its the boosters or Regents who are wrecking Minnesota basketball.

4 years remaining at 1.95 = $7.8 total remaining base salary over next for years

But in the article there is a unique technicality:
FF6B6A6F-5E44-465E-8F66-5BB5D8B686A4.jpeg
So if we fire him after the second year we owe the full remainder ($7.8). But in the third year it would be 75% of the remainder (5.85M).

My question…when does year 3 technically start? When was the initial contract signed? I assume it would be 3 years from that date.

And probably the total cost of five sports put together. That’s a bundle.
There is a cost to inaction and it might reach further into the future. In person attendance is lagging in almost every sport/league except the NFL. Even some SEC schools have empty seats at football games. Once you lose fans, good luck getting them back in the era of every game on your 84" flat screen.

UMinn clears $6M annually from BBall. guessing CBJ could be bought out after year 3. that said, if the same UMinn people are making that decision and choosing the next coach, i'm not optimistic about a good decision and choice

keep CBJ and fund broomball and ice fishing teams?

Grimm is gonna have a great time with this one. Grimm is now better prepared for the ‘yep’ response or the ‘I guess so’.

4 years remaining at 1.95 = $7.8 total remaining base salary over next for years

But in the article there is a unique technicality:
View attachment 24229
So if we fire him after the second year we owe the full remainder ($7.8). But in the third year it would be 75% of the remainder (5.85M).

My question…when does year 3 technically start? When was the initial contract signed? I assume it would be 3 years from that date.
He was hired 3/21/21. But I’m guessing the NCAA has standard start and end dates for seasons to determine eligibility and practice allotments with coaches, etc., so I’m sure the next season on the contract starts on that schedule.

If Christie bolts as well, does that get Ben fired immediately? If so, I have some NIL money for you, Christie if you want to back out…

Am I the only person on here that thinks this is a little premature? I would consider this as year one, as he basically had to fill a team in his first year of transfers after most had already committed due to his late hiring. He had one freshman commit (Thompson). Then had to hit restart again.

Give him another year at least before the sky is falling. We are playing 4 freshman 20 minutes a game. These aren’t Kentucky type freshman. These are MN kids and one raw Cali kid trying to compete in a league full of experience. They need time.

We drove out Gabe because of the negativity and look at him flourish at Iowa St.

Going into the year, we knew they would suck. Why is everyone so butthurt that the team is sucking?!

I have watched every second of every game. I’m just as frustrated and upset as you guys. I see the stuggles and lack of offense. I also see freshman making stupid mistakes that will get cleaned up moving into year two.

Evans leaving stings, but his NIL team obviously wanted a better opportunity than what we could give him. This just gives us an opportunity to snag another guard in the transfer portal.

We haven’t been a power in the B1G in a loooong time, it isn’t going to happen over night.

The sun rose again in this morning. We have a chance to beat Nebraska today. Leggo Gophs!

Am I the only person on here that thinks this is a little premature? I would consider this as year one, as he basically had to fill a team in his first year of transfers after most had already committed due to his late hiring. He had one freshman commit (Thompson). Then had to hit restart again.

Give him another year at least before the sky is falling. We are playing 4 freshman 20 minutes a game. These aren’t Kentucky type freshman. These are MN kids and one raw Cali kid trying to compete in a league full of experience. They need time.

We drove out Gabe because of the negativity and look at him flourish at Iowa St.

Going into the year, we knew they would suck. Why is everyone so butthurt that the team is sucking?!

I have watched every second of every game. I’m just as frustrated and upset as you guys. I see the stuggles and lack of offense. I also see freshman making stupid mistakes that will get cleaned up moving into year two.

Evans leaving stings, but his NIL team obviously wanted a better opportunity than what we could give him. This just gives us an opportunity to snag another guard in the transfer portal.

We haven’t been a power in the B1G in a loooong time, it isn’t going to happen over night.

The sun rose again in this morning. We have a chance to beat Nebraska today. Leggo Gophs!
No we made a terrible hire of the protégé of our previous coach who couldn't get a job at Northern Illinois or Montana State and has proven to be a disaster as a coach, the reaction is understated if anything.

He was hired 3/21/21. But I’m guessing the NCAA has standard start and end dates for seasons to determine eligibility and practice allotments with coaches, etc., so I’m sure the next season on the contract starts on that schedule.

If Christie bolts as well, does that get Ben fired immediately? If so, I have some NIL money for you, Christie if you want to back out…
The date in most college basketball contracts for when the buyout drops is either April 1 or May 1.

What would you say the odds are that he turns around a 5-35 start, best recruit asking out of signed commitment etc after year two to long-term success here?

Top Bottom