Ben Johnson is a Disaster

I know enough to know that I don't know. I've heard all kinds of rumors and supposed inside information, half of which contradicts the other half. All we have to go on is speculation and circumstantial evidence. I wouldn't for a moment pretend I know anything.

From my own state government experience, everything we do is transparent, documented, and a matter of public record. This, however, was done behind closed doors and secretive, which is an abomination in my opinion.

You can always assemble a panel to get the candidate that you want selected. I've done it myself.

saw an interesting number from Marcus Fuller in the Strib.

The Gophers (4-6) hadn't lost five straight games in the first couple months of the season since 2006-07, but they weren't favored to win any of these latest games. The combined record for their opponents from the losing streak is 45-4.

It's been an ugly stretch - no way around it.

either the team will get better, or it won't. If the team doesn't get better, Johnson will be gone.

I don't see Coyle firing Johnson after this year, no matter how bad it gets.

But, if next year does not show some significant improvement, then I think that becomes a real possibility.

saw an interesting number from Marcus Fuller in the Strib.

The Gophers (4-6) hadn't lost five straight games in the first couple months of the season since 2006-07, but they weren't favored to win any of these latest games. The combined record for their opponents from the losing streak is 45-4.

It's been an ugly stretch - no way around it.

either the team will get better, or it won't. If the team doesn't get better, Johnson will be gone.

I don't see Coyle firing Johnson after this year, no matter how bad it gets.

But, if next year does not show some significant improvement, then I think that becomes a real possibility.
No idea why Marcus Fuller is carrying Ben Johnson's water here, but the fact that we knew we were going to be bad isn't really an excuse for being bad.

Additionally, I don't think bringing up 2006-2007 really helps Ben as much as Fuller thinks it does. Monson resigned before December following that putrid stretch.

No idea why Marcus Fuller is carrying Ben Johnson's water here, but the fact that we knew we were going to be bad isn't really an excuse for being bad.

Additionally, I don't think bringing up 2006-2007 really helps Ben as much as Fuller thinks it does. Monson resigned before December following that putrid stretch.
2006-2007 it was also clear that Monson had lost the team, and that debacle could not continue. Ben hasn't lost this team. If he does, it's over. Monson was fired, even if it was structured as a resignation (which I don't remember).

Sam Jacobsen was a 5 star type player that was literally a top 25 ranked prospect. He was a spark plug and half arsed stud the moment he stepped onto the court. This kid has nowhere near that kind of talent.
He will start making his shots and be just fine. You're going all nuclear after 10 games in his freshman year. Get some perspective and be like bga1, see us in 2025.

@leib0039 - if you want a project... what are the average Offense and Defensive eff per 100 possessions of the Sweet 16 teams over the last 10 years? It will be interesting to see how this has changed over the years as basketball has changed to a more free flowing, 3pt oriented game. I'll try to take up years 2012-2014
To find each team would be a lot of to work ha. I did zoom through the last 15ish years of KenPom ratings just to see. Semi surprised but does not really look like much has changed. I would say average teams are in that 108 pts per 100 possessions on offense and in that 97 pts allowed per 100 possessions. Some years higher and lower but just an average P5 team that is about what they sit at.

It's completely dead. I legitimately think the women's volleyball team now has more fans/viewers for their games then men's basketball. I don't mean that as a shot at the VB team, but that really shouldn't happen and wouldn't anywhere else.

I guess the good news is that it can turn around faster than it can fall apart. Look at Houston. 10 years ago you could hear on TV the kids in the stands complaining to their parents that they wanted to go home home. This Saturday the place was a zoo against Alabama and interest is sky high. But they went big with Kelvin Sampson. Had baggage, but was a winner and has made the Cougars a hot ticket in a town with a lot of entertainment options. But it does take a school commitment. Do we have that here? Not sure.

I guess the good news is that it can turn around faster than it can fall apart. Look at Houston. 10 years ago you could hear on TV the kids in the stands complaining to their parents that they wanted to go home home. This Saturday the place was a zoo against Alabama and interest is sky high. But they went big with Kelvin Sampson. Had baggage, but was a winner and has made the Cougars a hot ticket in a town with a lot of entertainment options. But it does take a school commitment. Do we have that here? Not sure.
also a mega arena renovation thanks to a sports fan... Tilman Fertitta as a multi-billion dollar donor who loves his sports (owns the Houston Rockets)...

No, there is no appetite for anything here that is the least bit outside of their tiny world.

He will start making his shots and be just fine. You're going all nuclear after 10 games in his freshman year. Get some perspective and be like bga1, see us in 2025.
Sorry but I was being sarcastic. If we don't win until 2025 you will be able to fire a cannon ball through the Barn and not hit anyone. Last night I looked through the student section and to say that there were 250 kids there would be generous. Perhaps 6000-7000 maximum in attendance against a top 25 team.

Sorry but I was being sarcastic. If we don't win until 2025 you will be able to fire a cannon ball through the Barn and not hit anyone. Last night I looked through the student section and to say that there were 250 kids there would be generous. Perhaps 6000-7000 maximum in attendance against a top 25 team.
Brutal. And they were giving away pizza to the few students who showed up.

I'll go out on a limb and say no.

Wait, what!? You were being sarcastic? How could I ever have known? 😏

Do you know what time of year it is for college students this week? I know my daughter was studying for the first of 5 finals she has this week. I am not going to judge this book by the number of students showing up to a late evening basketball game the night before finals start.

This isn't that uncommon anymore and the bolded part was largely his decision.

Almost every player but the center on Utah has been in the program 2 years or less. Nobody getting run with Iowa State was on their team 2 years ago.

T
This isn't that uncommon anymore and the bolded part was largely his decision.

Almost every player but the center on Utah has been in the program 2 years or less. Nobody getting run with Iowa State was on their team 2 years ago.

This isn't a unique hurdle for Ben Johnson.

also a mega arena renovation thanks to a sports fan... Tilman Fertitta as a multi-billion dollar donor who loves his sports (owns the Houston Rockets)...

Some will remember Kellen Sampson as a player during Kelvin's time at OU. He's turned out to be a great assistant, and hc-in-waiting when Kelvin decides to hang it up. They really have it rolling it there, and no shortage of talent in that Houston area alone.

Even though I think Ben was a terrible hire and continues to prove why with on the court results, I don’t think he should be fired until after next season if this type of play continues. I don’t see it getting much better next year because I don’t think Ben is capable of running a few guys off and bringing in at least 2 high level guards to get us there.

I have plenty of patience, but this is really bad. People are actually happy we looked more competitive by only losing by 18. That’s depressing. Coaches have been fired after a few years while winning more at lower level programs.
Agree with this, hard part is how will he be able to recruit next year if he doesn’t get an extension? He’d be in year 3 of a 5 year deal, which is the time his agent will say he can’t recruit without an extension.

Agree with this, hard part is how will he be able to recruit next year if he doesn’t get an extension? He’d be in year 3 of a 5 year deal, which is the time his agent will say he can’t recruit without an extension.
He'll get an extension every year regardless of results. There's no point in not giving every coach an extension.

I mean, hell, at least Damian Johnson has had head-coaching experience. I'd consider him an accomplished head coach, as both places he's worked, they've been competitive and developed players well. I don't know if HE thinks he'd be ready for a college job or would even want one, but the sky would be the limit for him. The book's not completely written on Ben yet, but I'd have trusted Damian with this gig before him.

I'm at the top in bashing our administration. They've sabotaged our 3 best teams (all Final Four contenders) over the last 25 years.

But as for coach Johnson...the only thing that matters is our 4 freshmen this year and our 2 incoming recruits next year.
Tell that to Battle & Garcia !!!!

Even though I think Ben was a terrible hire and continues to prove why with on the court results, I don’t think he should be fired until after next season if this type of play continues. I don’t see it getting much better next year because I don’t think Ben is capable of running a few guys off and bringing in at least 2 high level guards to get us there.

I have plenty of patience, but this is really bad. People are actually happy we looked more competitive by only losing by 18. That’s depressing. Coaches have been fired after a few years while winning more at lower level programs.
that is the big elephant in the room for him! does he have the guts to do this....

13 schollys are full at this point.
only 4 schollys for guards ....for the 2nd year in a row(counting this year. im not couting Ramberg)
2 schollys for guys coming off of 2 major knee injuries in a row....thats a big elephant in itself.

that is the big elephant in the room for him! does he have the guts to do this....

13 schollys are full at this point.
only 4 schollys for guards ....for the 2nd year in a row(counting this year. im not couting Ramberg)
2 schollys for guys coming off of 2 major knee injuries in a row....thats a big elephant in itself.
There is no excuse for not doing that. Next year is make or break in terms of program momentum for this coach. He has a solid core of bigs to sell spring transfers. He should be able to sell the idea of being able to win with Payne, Evans, Battle and Garcia if he can get the right guards. Ben loves Christie as a possible point guard but with what we are seeing this year, we cannot depend on that as the solution for next year.

I mean, hell, at least Damian Johnson has had head-coaching experience. I'd consider him an accomplished head coach, as both places he's worked, they've been competitive and developed players well. I don't know if HE thinks he'd be ready for a college job or would even want one, but the sky would be the limit for him. The book's not completely written on Ben yet, but I'd have trusted Damian with this gig before him.
That’s a stretch, Bad. Get some rest.

That’s a stretch, Bad. Get some rest.
I'll die on this hill. Some people have the knack for head coaching. It's a unique set of abilities. You know it when you see it.

The question I framed is, given a choice, would you hire someone with a not-all-that distinguished career as an assistant and who's never even been a lead assistant, or would you hire someone who's been a head coach and shown the knack for it? In my estimation, the latter is the lesser risk.

I'll die on this hill. Some people have the knack for head coaching. It's a unique set of abilities. You know it when you see it.

The question I framed is, given a choice, would you hire someone with a not-all-that distinguished career as an assistant and who's never even been a lead assistant, or would you hire someone who's been a head coach and shown the knack for it? In my estimation, the latter is the lesser risk.
I think Gerry Faust proved for more than a generation that head coaching in high school is considerably different than college. I’m pro experience, but the leap from high school to college is too much to swallow. Find another hill.

I think Gerry Faust proved for more than a generation that head coaching in high school is considerably different than college. I’m pro experience, but the leap from high school to college is too much to swallow. Find another hill.
The temptation is to dismiss DJ because he's young and black and coaches at a lower level. But when I listen to him talk, the guy knows his stuff. When he describes his offense and it's origins and his tactical influences...let's just say I've never heard Ben talk that articulately about strategy or approach to the game. Instead we get something about grit at his introductory press conference. If you found that lacking, you're not alone...and you'd be right. It was a nothing burger.

The video pieces I saw of Craig Smith were convincing, especially the segments taken at his practices. That guy has a method and is a splendid teacher. I've learned to trust my eyes and ears and horse sense.

Gerry Faust ran a football factory. They had the best players...which they had at Notre Dame, too, so he didn't completely fall flat on his face there. But it's another thing completely to coach a limited squad up. That's what you look for. That's this year's Utes.

Thought exercise: was it ridiculous when the Gophers hired Doug Woog from the high school level? I never heard him compared to Gerry Faust; maybe he was and I missed it. I don't think it was the best hire, but it wasn't the worst, either.

The temptation is to dismiss DJ because he's young and black and coaches at a lower level. But when I listen to him talk, the guy knows his stuff. When he describes his offense and it's origins and his tactical influences...let's just say I've never heard Ben talk that articulately about strategy or approach to the game. Instead we get something about grit at his introductory press conference. If you found that lacking, you're not alone...and you'd be right. It was a nothing burger.

The video pieces I saw of Craig Smith were convincing, especially the segments taken at his practices. That guy has a method and is a splendid teacher. I've learned to trust my eyes and ears and horse sense.

Gerry Faust ran a football factory. They had the best players...which they had at Notre Dame, too, so he didn't completely fall flat on his face there. But it's another thing completely to coach a limited squad up. That's what you look for. That's this year's Utes.

Thought exercise: was it ridiculous when the Gophers hired Doug Woog from the high school level? I never heard him compared to Gerry Faust; maybe he was and I missed it. I don't think it was the best hire, but it wasn't the worst, either.
I should clarify: would I hire a young coach out of HS instead of someone with considerable experience and accomplishments at the college level? No, of course not. If my only choices were BJ and DJ, would I hire DJ? Yes, I would.

Top Bottom