Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Ben would have to go 10-4 in the Big 10 over the next 14 games to get to RP's Big 10 record his first two seasons.

Ben has been uniquely horrible.

Pitino inherented his best two players (Hollins 1 & 2) from a team that went 8-10 in the BT the prior year. Johnson had to fill the team with warm bodies in the span of a few months.

I'm getting sick and tired of the loudest wannabe (keyboard) tough guys spitting out thread titles like this. We are all disappointed with the team so far this year, but maybe have a thread title that's a bit more respectful of the coaches and team?
There is a thread like that. This thread is to trash the coach of the crappy team.

Pitino inherented his best two players (Hollins 1 & 2) from a team that went 8-10 in the BT the prior year. Johnson had to fill the team with warm bodies in the span of a few months.

It can't be forgotten that Ben Johnson had to field an entirely new team in his first year and an almost completely new team in his second year. Very few coaches ever are confronted by that challenge.

It can't be forgotten that Ben Johnson had to field an entirely new team in his first year and an almost completely new team in his second year. Very few coaches ever are confronted by that challenge.
Only one of those years was out of his control. I understand he was not going to bring in a bunch of four star freshman in year zero, but he is responsible for every roster decision he’s made, including signing only seniors in year 0.

This isn't that uncommon anymore and the bolded part was largely his decision.

Almost every player but the center on Utah has been in the program 2 years or less. Nobody getting run with Iowa State was on their team 2 years ago.

This isn't a unique hurdle for Ben Johnson.

There is a thread like that. This thread is to trash the coach of the crappy team.
Go read that thread and those same clowns (Not you in this case) wouldn’t leave that one alone either. Critical viewpoints are fine and justified with how bad we’ve been playing. Not everyone wants to continue to have the sky is falling convo in every stupid thread. I’ll see myself out again, but I respect you as a poster on here so I figured I’d at least add two cents.

I'm getting sick and tired of the loudest wannabe (keyboard) tough guys spitting out thread titles like this. We are all disappointed with the team so far this year, but maybe have a thread title that's a bit more respectful of the coaches and team?
He gets $2m a year, he can take it

That was his decision to bring so many transfers last year with only one year of eligibility. Yes Fox has been hurt, but that was a big mistake.

A bad title that hasn’t been posted that could, but hasn’t…HOW DID CARRINGTON WIN MR BASKETBALL?! or WHO THE HECK VOTED FOR CARRINGTON AS MR BASKETBALL?!

We will never be good because this state will not support high coaching salaries. We should have gone after Muselman with a bag of money but we are too cheap. Empty arena and bad basketball is are way

I’m still just as invested. I’m just finding it easier for me to ignore Gopherhole. This place is a cesspool.
You're like the people on Twitter who say they are leaving yet can't stop posting. Gopher hole is a reflection of the product being discussed. Right now Gopher basketball is a cesspool.

We will never be good because this state will not support high coaching salaries. We should have gone after Muselman with a bag of money but we are too cheap. Empty arena and bad basketball is are way
This isn't really true. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches in College basketball his first two years here. I don't know if we could afford Musselman and his buyout, but we could easily have afforded Craig Smith, Dutcher etc. This was not a salary issue. We chose Ben over people with vastly superior resumes for...reasons that only Coyle and Gable can say for sure.

This isn't really true. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches in College basketball his first two years here. I don't know if we could afford Musselman and his buyout, but we could easily have afforded Craig Smith, Dutcher etc. This was not a salary issue. We chose Ben over people with vastly superior resumes for...reasons that only Coyle and Gable can say for sure.
Ah, deep down, we know the reason.

This

A bad title that hasn’t been posted that could, but hasn’t…HOW DID CARRINGTON WIN MR BASKETBALL?! or WHO THE HECK VOTED FOR CARRINGTON AS MR BASKETBALL?!
By Senior year, he's your Sam Jacobson. Just settle down there Nancy.

🐊💧💧

Fair enough, but if we are serious about filling a stadium here and winning we should have gone after Musselman with everything we had in my humble opinion. That being said, I’m surprised by Johnson’s recruiting. Hopefully it will translate to a competitive product on the court mi

Ben would have to go 10-4 in the Big 10 over the next 14 games to get to RP's Big 10 record his first two seasons.

Ben has been uniquely horrible.
I thought it would be impossible for the Gophers to have someone worse (and less qualified) than Pitino as the head coach. Little did I know that his immediate successor would meet both of those criteria.

Honest to goodness, it would be nice to know someday what went down and why. If we take Coyle at his word, he hired his top available choice. If he's lying--whether to cover for Gabel or for some other reason--it's despicable, especially for a publicly-funded institution. The secrecy and any dishonesty is a way to keep pumping the accountability around until it evaporates.

Honest to goodness, it would be nice to know someday what went down and why. If we take Coyle at his word, he hired his top available choice. If he's lying--whether to cover for Gabel or for some other reason--it's despicable, especially for a publicly-funded institution. The secrecy and any dishonesty is a way to keep pumping the accountability around until it evaporates.
Ben needed the time as a mid-major head coach or as a lead assistant for a top tier program, everyone was done a disservice here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom