Ben Johnson is a Disaster

No actually the general consensus in all the threads. I don’t want to be a jerk because It seems like you might be an intellectually disadvantaged individual. I probably need to stop because I’m now the guy picking on Corky. Sorry I misread this exchange, but it makes sense now.

In "all the threads". Yeah.....you don't come off as a butthurt individual who's still sore from the last clowning. lol....some of you chuds just can't yourself.

In "all the threads". Yeah.....you don't come off as a butthurt individual who's still sore from the last clowning. lol....some of you chuds just can't yourself.
I am sorry. I am educated, so your poor language skills are not making much sense. You are “butt hurt from a child clowning?”

That sounds kind of bad. You might need to talk to talk a professional about that. If you talk to your mom there might might be a provider in her network who could talk to you. We are just hoping you can get some help.

I am sorry. I am educated, so your poor language skills are not making much sense. You are “butt hurt from a child clowning?”

That sounds kind of bad. You might need to talk to talk a professional about that. If you talk to your mom there might might be a provider in her network who could talk to you. We are just hoping you can get some help.

It's a pretty ineffectual troll when you start resorting to "I am educated". But I'm sure you're saving all your really clever stuff for tomorrow at the lunch table when you and you friends giggle about dick and fart jokes. :rolleyes:

I actually feel bad for Ben. He stepped into a situation that he just wasn't ready for and is in way over his head. By all accounts, he's one of the nicest human beings on the planet. Then I remind myself that he could live a modest life without ever having to work again. It's time to do what's best for the health of this program and Gopher hoops fans everywhere.
That seems to be a common theme here, and I've even said similar things, but he did walk into this head first. It's not like he was drafted or called up for jury duty or something. He was pursuing open head coaching jobs, and he chose to interview here instead of declining the opportunity, which is always an option. If you don't think you're ready, you don't have to pursue it. One of the tricks in this situation or anywhere is to have enough self awareness to objectively evaluate your own abilities and experience.

That seems to be a common theme here, and I've even said similar things, but he did walk into this head first. It's not like he was drafted or called up for jury duty or something. He was pursuing open head coaching jobs, and he chose to interview here instead of declining the opportunity, which is always an option. If you don't think you're ready, you don't have to pursue it. One of the tricks in this situation or anywhere is to have enough self awareness to objectively evaluate your own abilities and experience.
The opportunity to earn generational wealth may only come about once if ever. You take that opportunity when you get it. Is it possible CBJ had people at the U telling him to apply? Or maybe he never thought he would get the job and just wanted to practice his interview skills?

The opportunity to earn generational wealth may only come about once if ever. You take that opportunity when you get it. Is it possible CBJ had people at the U telling him to apply? Or maybe he never thought he would get the job and just wanted to practice his interview skills?
I do? No I don't. Not everyone is the same. I do not wish to be disgraced and be known as a failure. I prefer my life: paid fairly but modestly and be known as one of the best at what I do. There are many things more important than money. Worship of money above all other things is one of the sicknesses of our society.

Valid points as always, BG, but is there anyone breathing air that turns down that contract even being fully self-aware they weren't qualified?

If the point you're making is nobody should "feel bad" for Ben because he opted to put himself into this position, then you would have me in a box, sir.

When you think about it, how qualified do you really need to be to take this job?🤔

No one should ever blame CBJ for taking the job. Of course you apply for the job and of course you take it. It's a tremendous opportunity professionally and financially and no one in their right mind would turn it down. That said, with that opportunity does come responsibility and he deserves to be treated just like we'd have treated any other coach accepting the position. He signed up for the whole thing - the $, the opportunity and the micrscope.

I do? No I don't. Not everyone is the same. I do not wish to be disgraced and be known as a failure. I prefer my life: paid fairly but modestly and be known as one of the best at what I do. There are many things more important than money. Worship of money above all other things is one of the sicknesses of our society.
The guy is a basketball coach and was given an opportunity to be the head coach at his alma mater. There are likely things much greater than money going on with Ben Johnson's interest in the MN job. I'm sure this opportunity checked a lot of boxes for his "dream job".

Maybe you're an exception, but I don't think there are many people who, when given a chance at their dream job, would turn it down.

I'm with you on your main point though, no one should feel sorry for him.

That's fair. As someone who grew up lower middle class I see it more as an opportunity to take care of family and friends. I'm not sure I would call taking a high paying dream job as "worshiping money" but agree to disagree👍

The guy is a basketball coach and was given an opportunity to be the head coach at his alma mater. There are likely things much greater than money going on with Ben Johnson's interest in the MN job. I'm sure this opportunity checked a lot of boxes for his "dream job".

Maybe you're an exception, but I don't think there are many people who, when given a chance at their dream job, would turn it down.

I'm with you on your main point though, no one should feel sorry for him.
That's fair. As someone who grew up lower middle class I see it more as an opportunity to take care of family and friends. I'm not sure I would call taking a high paying dream job as "worshiping money" but agree to disagree👍
Good convo. I guess it depends on what your dream job is. There can be a strategic approach to a career, where you first get ready for your dream job and THEN you take it and can do it well. I'm going to guess that Lindsay Whalen doesn't feel too good about how things played out and how she looks now, especially in comparison to her successor, who'll almost certainly be more successful than she was. I visited with a Hutchinson resident over the weekend, and he felt downright embarrassed about how it went for Whalen as a coach. (I told him he should instead feel GREAT about how it went for her as a player.)

Incidentally, I'm actually in my dream job, and I've given up a lot of potential earnings to do it. I also spent a good deal of time getting good at what I do before I took on the challenges of my current position. As Ara Parseghian once said, he needed every bit of experience he had prior to taking the Notre Dame job in order to be able to function in that situation.

It's a pretty ineffectual troll when you start resorting to "I am educated". But I'm sure you're saving all your really clever stuff for tomorrow at the lunch table when you and you friends giggle about dick and fart jokes. :rolleyes:
Just out interest stocker, what workplace do you enjoy your lunches at?

Just out interest stocker, what workplace do you enjoy your lunches at?

Maybe you should concern yourself with your own situation.

His mom gets him his favorite lunchables when he behaves well. She's been doing it 47 years.

ecc123c82ac5c0811581fc39b8e7519acffd53ab.gif

His mom gets him his favorite lunchables when he behaves well. She's been doing it 47 years.

Ugh. You ruined it. Lunchables didn’t become available nationwide until 1989 (as we all know). Even if he was a Seattle-area resident they weren’t available until 1988. So the 47 years is a fallacy. Damnit Bob!

I tried to view more, but have been #BlockedByNadine like thousands of others, so am unable to view in full.

I'm sure it was a wisdom filled gem of a tweet though.
She replied to others commenting on her tweet and it felt like she was implying that the Barn is part of the problem and also the changing landscape of college basketball. Someone commented that winning will fill the barn again. Her reply was, "It's so much deeper than that. And the Gophers have only lost one game this year" As Spaulding says, once you start blaming the arena, the coach has got to go.

She replied to others commenting on her tweet and it felt like she was implying that the Barn is part of the problem and also the changing landscape of college basketball. Someone commented that winning will fill the barn again. Her reply was, "It's so much deeper than that. And the Gophers have only lost one game this year" As Spaulding says, once you start blaming the arena, the coach has got to go.
Nothing new- some people can't see the forest for the trees.

I tried to view more, but have been #BlockedByNadine like thousands of others, so am unable to view in full.

I'm sure it was a wisdom filled gem of a tweet though.
I unfollowed her because of how mean she is to people, and I don't need to see that shit. Nevertheless, she still infects my timeline.

That's so absurd I can't believe I'm even addressing it. Gopher fans love the barn. Win and it will fill up. It may or may not hamper our recruiting, but it is not driving away fans in significant numbers.

I was at the game last night and let me just say that if you squinted your eyes a bit and kept your gaze below the upper deck, 3500 fans didn’t look too bad in the Barn. I will guarantee you that 3500 fans at a glitzy new area would be a much sadder sight. So no, the Barn doesn’t need fixing; what we put on the court is what needs fixing.
If we competes, we will fill dem seats!

It is a deeper problem than Ben, but replacing him is the first part of the solution. Then winning. And eventually a new arena.

The broadcast said Ben is "starting to build it." That's what I'm going with. I'm buying the hype. That's all we have at this point, I think.

Top Bottom