Ben Johnson is a Disaster

rutgers has quite the recruiting haul coming in. NIL?

if so, and if schools will be able to pay NIL, are the gophers in an enviable position moving forward? (relatively) low paid coach so they can put a few million into NIL to attract higher level talent?

rutgers has quite the recruiting haul coming in. NIL?

if so, and if schools will be able to pay NIL, are the gophers in an enviable position moving forward? (relatively) low paid coach so they can put a few million into NIL to attract higher level talent?
The problem is that the U doesn't fork out the money directly. So they are going to have to quietly redirect donors to DTA to get this done. What are the odds that they will be that smart?

You are correct- in a town like this we should be able to buy a decent team. NIL puts us in an interesting spot with a player like Garcia who is very good and could return for one more year. He may not be NBA material- not sure- so it may be that we may be able to get a kid like him commitments for 300-400k and make it enticing enough to stay here instead of going to the NBA minor leagues or Europe. If we are going to be a "builder program" that is the type of thing we are going to have to do for kids like Payne, Garcia and Christie as well.

It has to be a combination of loyalty to the coach, winning and NIL and we don't have the winning to offer yet.

indeed. the ncaa is considering allowing schools to pay nil directly.

pay your coach $2M and players $3M, instead of paying a coach $5M
from a "fair play" standpoint, can't wait until it ends up being that there is a union for athletes and then they negotiate a CBA, followed by NIL being added on the side. It will probably take a couple of decades but the paying them directly in this manner isn't going to change much. Texas A&M in tracked comp made 4mil year one and 8mil year 2. there still will be that sizeable amount there. this will likely only escalate the dollar amounts, particularly in smaller team sports like basketball where 2-3 players can entirely change your teams' chances.

indeed. the ncaa is considering allowing schools to pay nil directly.

pay your coach $2M and players $3M, instead of paying a coach $5M
They might as well - because otherwise it is just a charade and the least honest schools win in that case.

NCAA needs a handicap system similar to golf but based on the NIL money of players on the team. The greater the difference between teams NIL player total the higher the "handicap" for the team with the lesser NIL. Allowing schools to pay NIL directly can only make the current system worse. The schools which already have higher NIL payments for their players will continue to get more NIL for their players regardless of the rules or the source. The current top 4 NIL recipients include well known families including: James (#1), Sanders, (#2) and Manning (#4). So, you say a handicap system is absurd. I agree, but the NIL payments came first causing the absurd difference in talent levels at the division 1 level. I read/heard Brian Day, OSU Football coach saying for 2024 the team needs $ 13 million in NIL or they'll lose many players.

When you think about it, how qualified do you really need to be to take this job?🤔
I'm about to put my hat in the ring, I was quite the NBA 2k player in college, that has to count for something. Can't be worse than current staff am I right?

*crickets*
These wins against Sisters of the Poor are almost the equivalent of NDSU blasting that team by 94 points (not quite that bad…but almost). No one cares that we are killing these teams, they are horrible. I tuned in last night for maybe a few minutes and it was roughly 48-43…that should never be a score against Maine (I know we won by much more than that…because we are deeper and have more talent than MAINE…) but you can’t expect to our talent teams in the B10 and slowly grind them down into the second half of the second half (poor sentence). The Gophers should be murdering these poor teams early and often, not letting them hang around for the first 30 minutes of the game.

As I’ve mentioned before, and why I’ve taking a break from this board, our non-conference is so PATHETIC, you literally can deduce nothing from it. If the sentiment coming out of last season was Johnson is a disaster, nothing has changed that yet. I know we bet Nebraska, but they are historically a terrible B10 bottom-feeder, so who really cares. Let’s gauge the…Is Johnson A Disaster question after 6 or 7 B10 games with this squad…fair?

These wins against Sisters of the Poor are almost the equivalent of NDSU blasting that team by 94 points (not quite that bad…but almost). No one cares that we are killing these teams, they are horrible. I tuned in last night for maybe a few minutes and it was roughly 48-43…that should never be a score against Maine (I know we won by much more than that…because we are deeper and have more talent than MAINE…) but you can’t expect to our talent teams in the B10 and slowly grind them down into the second half of the second half (poor sentence). The Gophers should be murdering these poor teams early and often, not letting them hang around for the first 30 minutes of the game.

As I’ve mentioned before, and why I’ve taking a break from this board, our non-conference is so PATHETIC, you literally can deduce nothing from it. If the sentiment coming out of last season was Johnson is a disaster, nothing has changed that yet. I know we bet Nebraska, but they are historically a terrible B10 bottom-feeder, so who really cares. Let’s gauge the…Is Johnson A Disaster question after 6 or 7 B10 games with this squad…fair?
"Crickets" was in response to a question posted weeks ago with no response. I do enjoy seeing you and the other CBJ haters have to wait for failure until you can climb back out of your holes though. Guarantee if the Gophers do see conference success, you and other's like you will give credit to a down Big Ten, not CBJ.

"Crickets" was in response to a question posted weeks ago with no response. I do enjoy seeing you and the other CBJ haters have to wait for failure until you can climb back out of your holes though. Guarantee if the Gophers do see conference success, you and other's like you will give credit to a down Big Ten, not CBJ.
It would make sense

We haven’t played a close game in awhile and you and stocker felt a little sheepish the last few times you bumped this thread.

That said, if we have success in the big 10 and anyone refuses to eat that crow, they’re cowards. I’ll give you that.

Many of the BT squads have warts, Gophers included. IMO, the biggest one for the M/G is our perimeter D. But I think we have enough talent to beat enough BT's to make the NIT.

Last year was unusually competitive in the league with 12 of the 14 teams getting to at least 9-11. It looks like at least 4 of those teams have taken a step back (PSU, Rutgers, and Michigan, with some combo of Neb/MD/Indiana). So, yes, Minnesota may win more games because the bottom half of the conference is significantly worse than last year. If MN does finish in the bottom 2 in this configuration of competence in the B1G, that would be a disaster.

LOL

DELUSIONAL

Last year was unusually competitive in the league with 12 of the 14 teams getting to at least 9-11. It looks like at least 4 of those teams have taken a step back (PSU, Rutgers, and Michigan, with some combo of Neb/MD/Indiana). So, yes, Minnesota may win more games because the bottom half of the conference is significantly worse than last year. If MN does finish in the bottom 2 in this configuration of competence in the B1G, that would be a disaster.
I could be wrong, but seems like it'll come down to our ability to win close games. So far, so good: the Nebraska game was fairly close.

I could be wrong, but seems like it'll come down to our ability to win close games. So far, so good: the Nebraska game was fairly close.
I agree that it will come down to are ability to win close games. A big concern is our ability to make crucial free throws down the stretch. According to TeamRankings.com we are shooting 69.7% from the charity line for the season but that has dropped to 56.5% over the last three games. For the life of me I can't figure out why shooting free throws seems to be such a big issue for us. Its frustrating to watch and will bite us in the end of those close games.

Last edited:

I agree that it will come down to are ability to win close games. A big concern is our ability to make crucial free throws down the stretch. According to TeamRankings.com we are shooting 69.7% from the charity line for the season but that has dropped to 56.5% over the last three games. For the life of me I can't figure out why shooting free throws seems to be such a big issue for us. Its frustration to watch and will bite us in the end of those close games.
3 of 5 against IUPUI for the team, so not many chances
Fox was 0-5 against Ball State, he got 17 minutes of playing time
Payne was 2 of 6 against Maine, he just does not make them
Last year 3 players hit free throws at a good clip. Battle, Garcia, Carrington. After that it dipped into the low .600's
This year 6 rotational players are at or above .762
Garcia .836
Ola-Joseph .793
Carrington .789
Hawkins .787
Mitchell .778
Christie .762
Ihnen .583, Payne .400 and Fox .444 are liabilities

Last year 3 players hit free throws at a good clip. Battle, Garcia, Carrington. After that it dipped into the low .600's
Garcia .836
Ola-Joseph .793
Carrington .789
Hawkins .787
Mitchell .778
Christie .762
The issue is the bolded players above will total aprox 40-50 minutes per game. Need those 3 to shoot better from the line. Currently those 3 combined avg 40.1 min/game

Last edited:

Garcia .836
Ola-Joseph .793
Carrington .789
Hawkins .787
Mitchell .778
Christie .762

In fairness to Ihnen, he hasn't had many attempts this season (7 for 12). He had only 19 attempts as a soph and hit 15 of them (.789) so he might have potential to do better. Payne is the real bummer when it comes to this endeavor because he has the second highest rate this season of going to the line of the regular rotation players (6.7 attempts per 40 minutes) and has had 149 free throw attempts in his still brief career. Maybe he should try the Rick Barry underhanded style. Barry once said that he thought switching to that could help Shaq.

In fairness to Ihnen, he hasn't had many attempts this season (7 for 12). He had only 19 attempts as a soph and hit 15 of them (.789) so he might have potential to do better. Payne is the real bummer when it comes to this endeavor because he has the second highest rate this season of going to the line of the regular rotation players (6.7 attempts per 40 minutes) and has had 149 free throw attempts in his still brief career. Maybe he should try the Rick Barry underhanded style. Barry once said that he thought switching to that could help Shaq.
Payne does something somewhat different every time he shoots a FT. Sometimes it's just his timing changes. He used to put the ball behind his back (he'd only make like 1 out of 10 after doing that.

In fairness to Ihnen, he hasn't had many attempts this season (7 for 12). He had only 19 attempts as a soph and hit 15 of them (.789) so he might have potential to do better.
I also think Hawkins and Christie can lift their % up a touch. (Must be the new year putting me in a hopeful mood.)

Last edited:

The sad part is there are a lot of players that would probably benefit from shooting free throws underhanded but won't do it because of the stigma that comes from it.

Has been a real bummer that Payne is still hitting less than 50% of his free throws. If he is out there in a close game teams will just hack him and send him to the line which will lead to him on the bench when we are trying to protect a lead.

Top Bottom