Bateman wants back in per Pete Thamel

Wouldn't hold my breath on him playing. Maybe if he hadn't taken the money......

Hope I'm wrong.

NCAA should just grant a blanket waiver to everyone that prematurely opted out, and declare that the blanket waiver is due to the unprecedented uncertainty in college football due to covid19. That way, they don't have to worry about having any of these situations come back to haunt them in the future when things return to normal.

It would be amazingly callous to not allow Bateman to play this year after he specifically said he was opting out due to health concerns, only to have the season re-stacked with much more elaborate health standards/rules. Sports including football but all over - from the Olympics to HS have been struggling to schedule, reschedule, etc. for a long time due to covid. It seems pretty fair to allow kids to reverse their decisions when it comes to participation.
I believe this will be the case.

Dude. Numerous athletes, from across all sports, work out with personal trainers, on their dime, during off-seasons. Like I originally said, it’s not uncommon.
I can’t say who paid what for Tanner or anyone else but common sense/logic comes into play pretty easily here.
Once again, this isn’t one of those things that is up for debate. You make things way more complicated than it needs to be.

My nephew does and he is in high school.

On Bateman:
1. He opted out before the BIG made any decisions related to the season, yes I know the reasons Bateman dropped out, no need to rehash them.
2. He hired an agent, accepted money....we don't know the depth of the relationship or amount of money received.

So here is my question...What is the NCAA timeline to make a decision? Are there players in other conferences that have already started that are in the same situation as Bateman? Seems like this decision needs to be made soon rather than waiting to game week. Is there then an appeals process that could reverse a negative ruling? The whole thing seems pretty muddled.

I would think most of them have an agent and accepted some money for whatever. The NCCA knows that. They also know that pretty much all of them decided not to play this year due to Covid. I just believe its a simple decision to just let them all in or you're going to have a mess.

On Bateman:
1. He opted out before the BIG made any decisions related to the season, yes I know the reasons Bateman dropped out, no need to rehash them.
2. He hired an agent, accepted money....we don't know the depth of the relationship or amount of money received.

So here is my question...What is the NCAA timeline to make a decision? Are there players in other conferences that have already started that are in the same situation as Bateman? Seems like this decision needs to be made soon rather than waiting to game week. Is there then an appeals process that could reverse a negative ruling? The whole thing seems pretty muddled.
I think Bateman will be farther back in line compared to players on teams that start earlier.

I’m not sure how it benefits the NCAA to say no to these kids that want back. Make them pay any $ back and get on with it.

The longer this topic goes on the more magical thinking and delusions occur.
If you hire an agent and take money you cannot come back.
The NCAA will do what it will do but I find it difficult to imagine they would open the floodgates to multiple players on a team leaving, doing the above and then allowing them to come back.
The disruption it would cause to the teams' roster would be considerable.

The NCAA will do what it will do but I find it difficult to imagine they would open the floodgates to multiple players on a team leaving, doing the above and then allowing them to come back.
I think this thread is going on the premise that the NCAA would waive some of the rules in place based on the circumstances. Also, in most cases, its one to a handful of players per team, I don't see that as disruptive since there normally is a turnover of players each year.

Thinking there will be a one year exception due to the bizarre circumstances of a pandemic is not delusional or magical thinking. It simply makes sense.

Don't think anyone is talking about opening the floodgates or this becoming a permanent thing. We are in such an unprecedented time right now with Covid and what it has done to everything. A one year exception on the part of the NCAA for these players would make a ton of sense.

The bigger trick at this point is timing. They need to start making decisions one way or another very soon in order to let teams/players prepare.

I don't think the NCAA would have allowed him to practice with the team if they weren't at least thinking about it.

So I don't think it is a binary decision at this point like it would be in any other year.

We all know the rules about hiring an agent, but clearly there are folks considering COVID and etc.

I don't know why you are stuck in this inflexible line of thinking.

If you transfer, you have to sit out a year (unless you get a waiver). You can't have a sixth season of eligibility (unless you get an exemption). If you declare for the draft and hire an agent, you can't come back to play (until it happened last year). The B1G won't have a season and it won't be revisited (unless circumstances change).

Guidelines are changed all the time. This is nothing new. I'm convinced we'll see Bateman running routes against Michigan.

Oct 10 would give much more cushion, potentially allow some rescheduling.

I really think teams and coaches could've been ready. There must've been a good reason to wait.
Wisconsin went on a two-week shutdown September 10. Don't underestimate the influence of Alvarez in convincing the rest of the league to wait until the Badgers had enough practice time to get ready.

I don't know why you are stuck in this inflexible line of thinking.

If you transfer, you have to sit out a year (unless you get a waiver). You can't have a sixth season of eligibility (unless you get an exemption). If you declare for the draft and hire an agent, you can't come back to play (until it happened last year). The B1G won't have a season and it won't be revisited (unless circumstances change).

Guidelines are changed all the time. This is nothing new. I'm convinced we'll see Bateman running routes against Michigan.

As far as the bolded part, because Plato is a Badgers fan. Of course they don't want Bateman coming back. But it's already happened with Turk (the punter at ASU) this year.

Haven't looked at the thread lately so don't know if it's been said. Chip Scoggins had a great point. If a group of 14 college presidents and AD's can change their minds about something as unknown as the virus, college football players should also be able to.

Mayfield is also in the same position as Bateman. Wants to come back but hired an agent and needs a waiver to play. This tweet could be Mayfield hinting he just got good news which if that is the case, likely means we should be getting good news about Rashod soon.

Thanks for the deets. Wasn't aware Mayfield had gone that route

So far Mayfield has not been cleared to practice, unlike Bateman. It could be that hurdle.

The NCAA is opening themselves up to a TON of criticism if they actually go through on a player by player basis. They should come out with a broad baseline on what is considered the line crossed and apply it that way.

I think Bateman will be farther back in line compared to players on teams that start earlier.
For some reason I hadn't thought of this. Was hoping for more a blanket decision though. As many others have said, its either all or none in my opinion.

Just the fact that the NCAA has allowed him to practice shows they have adapted the rules. Normally, he would be an ineligible player and the team would be penalized for having him practice with the team.

Instead of a blanket exemption, it may be more of a “make it good” situation where the player has to undo as much as possible the “benefits” that they received from the agent. That will be much easier for some players than others.

It could look similar to how they allow BB players to test the waters of the draft and still come back. The BB players are not allowed to sign with an agent, but they do get the benefits of communicating with the professional teams. Just undo the agent part and it will be similar. To fulfill legal contract obligations, the agent may have to agree for a year deferral and still retain their rights.

Just the fact that the NCAA has allowed him to practice shows they have adapted the rules. Normally, he would be an ineligible player and the team would be penalized for having him practice with the team.

Instead of a blanket exemption, it may be more of a “make it good” situation where the player has to undo as much as possible the “benefits” that they received from the agent. That will be much easier for some players than others.

It could look similar to how they allow BB players to test the waters of the draft and still come back. The BB players are not allowed to sign with an agent, but they do get the benefits of communicating with the professional teams. Just undo the agent part and it will be similar. To fulfill legal contract obligations, the agent may have to agree for a year deferral and still retain their rights.
Fleck stated that getting Bateman cleared for practice was a standard of the NCAA and the hard part will be getting him eligible for games.

Really need Bateman now with Faalele and Douglas opting out and Dunlap out with ACL.

Top Bottom