Bateman wants back in per Pete Thamel

This is going to be a little intense waiting on this approval.
giphy.gif

It seems pretty clear that allowing him and others in the same situation back would be the right thing to do but I don't trust the NCAA to do the right thing. I could see the NCAA saying that because he opted out before the Big Ten cancelled/delayed the season, the Big Ten's claim that they wouldn't revisit their decision isn't relevant.

With the Gophers only playing conference games, do NCAA eligibility rules even apply or would it be up to the Big Ten? It seems like with no games against other conferences and the NCAA not running the championships, it should be up to the conferences and CFP to decide who can and can't play.

I understand players changing their mind because of the dynamic situation. It’s one thing if they return all monies to the agent. But if they’ve benefited from very expensive top flight personal training, that’s a bit of unfair advantage that you can’t just give back. They should consider some sort of adjustment for that like sitting out the first 1-2 games.

I understand players changing their mind because of the dynamic situation. It’s one thing if they return all monies to the agent. But if they’ve benefited from very expensive top flight personal training, that’s a bit of unfair advantage that you can’t just give back. They should consider some sort of adjustment for that like sitting out the first 1-2 games.
I disagree. They didn’t have daily antigen testing when Bateman opted out. They do now. He was forced to do what’s best for him at the time. Now it’s safer and he can play.

If he hired an agent he cannot come back according to the existing rule.
If he only contacted an agent then the NCAA has to make a decision.

I disagree. They didn’t have daily antigen testing when Bateman opted out. They do now. He was forced to do what’s best for him at the time. Now it’s safer and he can play.
I understand and agree that he would feel differently about the safety of playing now. I was pointing out that he’s gotten benefits i.e. personal training that are not available to eligible athletes which can be considered an advantage going into the season. He was fortunate to have a very profitable choice to make, so it’s not as if he’s losing out if he doesn’t get to play.

Bateman back, now I need to expand my cable package instead of listening to the games. Bar is probably out this year...

Its looking like we will be playing for the B1G championship this year. CFP here we come!!!!

I understand and agree that he would feel differently about the safety of playing now. I was pointing out that he’s gotten benefits i.e. personal training that are not available to eligible athletes which can be considered an advantage going into the season. He was fortunate to have a very profitable choice to make, so it’s not as if he’s losing out if he doesn’t get to play.
It’s not at all unusual for a college athlete to work out with a personal trainer during their off-seasons.

Bateman hired an agent and received things of value from the agent.
Unless the rules are changed he cannot come back.

It’s not at all unusual for a college athlete to work out with a personal trainer during their off-seasons.
Is that true? They usually have access to outstanding facilities and a whole strength & conditioning staff, at no expense, via the school.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out more than none do make the (quite expensive) investment. But the question of course is, who is paying for it? If it's the athlete's family, that should be fine. Anyone else ...

Correct. Fleck acknowledged that he'll need a waiver by the NCAA for the rules you mention.

He's already received a waiver, in order to practice with the team as of yesterday. I don't think they would go through the effort of that, if they thought there was no chance of getting the NCAA waiver to play.

Or if he goes through the appeals process which already exists.

I too am doubtful he comes back but the chances to me are way less than 50%

The rules say he's ineligible at this moment, not that he can't come back. There's an appeals process in place for athletes who commit an infraction, including accepting impermissible benefits: http://www.ncaa.org/compliance/reinstatement/remaining-eligible-student-athlete-reinstatement.

One of the factors considered is "extenuating circumstances." I'd say a pandemic qualifies, but who knows with the NCAA. Let's allow the process to play out and see what happens. If Bateman is ruled ineligible, it's his own bed he made. That said, I'd be surprised if the NCAA held out any of these players who signed with agents if they want to return.

Any student athlete getting personal training paid for by anyone other than themself or their family (much less an agent) would be ineligible. Can you imagine how SEC teams would abuse this if able ;)

On the Fox show just noted the fact that B1G definitively said no season...and then changed mind...would be a factor considered by NCAA. Opinion was that if this had not been said, then little chance of success getting reinstated after signing and receiving benefits.

How this applies to Rashod or any of them will be a case-by-case situation. Bottom line this is not a normal circumstance by any stretch. Anything is possible.

Fox morning show
On the Fox show just noted the fact that B1G definitively said no season...and then changed mind...would be a factor considered by NCAA. Opinion was that if this had not been said, then little chance of success getting reinstated after signing and receiving benefits.

How this applies to Rashod or any of them will be a case-by-case situation. Bottom line this is not a normal circumstance by any stretch. Anything is possible.
Fox big noon talked as if it was all but certain he was back

Like I said, Fleck and co. would not bother with: getting him back here, enrolling him (late) in the fall semester, getting a waiver for him to practice on Friday ..... if it looked unlikely that the NCAA would say not.

Is that true? They usually have access to outstanding facilities and a whole strength & conditioning staff, at no expense, via the school.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out more than none do make the (quite expensive) investment. But the question of course is, who is paying for it? If it's the athlete's family, that should be fine. Anyone else ...
How expensive do you think a trainer is? Tanner Morgan worked with personal QB coaches last off-season to improve his motion and mechanics.
To think these guys only workout as a team is ridiculous.

How expensive do you think a trainer is? Tanner Morgan worked with personal QB coaches last off-season to improve his motion and mechanics.
To think these guys only workout as a team is ridiculous.
QB might be different. But maybe not.

No, I didn't say workout as a team. I said that they have access to top notch facilities and strength coaching, as part of the team.

You bring up a good point about specific coaching for football skills.

First part is true, he hired an agent. How do you know he received things of value from him? Maybe he did and maybe he stated so. I just haven't read anything. If he stated he did, then ok, another hurdle to cross.

I would think that after the uncertainty, negative publicity, and bureaucratic BS of the past weeks, the last thing the league would want is even more of that in the weeks ahead.

Top Bottom