Bateman wants back in per Pete Thamel

So the argument to not grant him the waiver is the following:

He opted out Aug 4, before the B1G cancelled initially. This was also technically before the announcement for the Conference only season starting in September (but I would think that the Coaches and Players knew of this announcement at least one day before if not more). Due to that, and the fact that he signed with an agent so quickly, would seem to imply he had been thinking about opting out for a long time and had the B1G stuck with that schedule Bateman would not be playing and could not opt-back in. It follows that even though now there is the opportunity for him to come back he shouldn't be allowed since he opted out before the full cancellation.

The argument for granting him the waiver is as follows (which I agree with):

He opted out for health reasons. At the time, even though the B1G was playing he did not feel safe with the existing health safety protocols given that he has asthma. Now that time has progressed, the B1G admitted that they didn't think their protocols were safe enough to play either since they cancelled. Now that there have been advancements in testing, the protocols have been updated and now both the B1G and Bateman feel it is safe to play. Since he made his decision based on his health and safety, and now there are new protocols that are better, he should be allowed to play.

When the Wade news came out yesterday I had a bit of a Bateman returning daydream, if it comes true it would be incredible!

I'd love to logic this out and come up with an answer.

But it seems kinda irrelivant as the NCAA just spins random wheels of decision making so who knows.

If an entire conference can change its mind, I'd think you could make a pretty good argument that one college athlete should also be able to. Imagine all the agreements and contracts that were changed when they shut the league down. Course I might be seeing this through maroon and gold glasses. Come to think of it, in that case:
NCAA--waivers--Minnesota? Good luck in the NFL, Rashod.

The B1G wants their best and most dynamic player to play. So does he NCAA.

Personally its either allowing all of them to come back or none of them. Its going to be a blanket one time exception. Can you imagine the lawsuits if you don't allow some to come back?

Been around Minnesota sports now for 30+ years.

History suggests that whenever it's time for the Sports Gods to give any Minnesota team a break...dreams get dashed by the same.

Hoping the evolving alternative timeline breaks that curse once and for all.

Been around Minnesota sports now for 30+ years.

History suggests that whenever it's time for the Sports Gods to give any Minnesota team a break...dreams get dashed by the same.

Hoping the evolving alternative timeline breaks that curse once and for all.

If there ever was a year for the Gopher sports curse to be broken 2020 would seem to be that year since everything is backwards.

Then again we were finally becoming relevant again after 2019 and a global pandemic hit so who knows, maybe if good things happen to Gopher football the rest of the world is screwed.

He made he decision based on the health risk he perceived at the time. That risk is now mitigated with the new health safety protocols, and had the B1G had these rules originally he likely would not have opted out.

That, to me, is a pretty solid argument. I hope the NCAA sees it that way too. Unfortunately he is one of the few that signed with an agent. Lots of other's "Played it smart" and haven't signed with an agent yet so opting in is just being like "I opt back in".

I know this is how social media works, but wouldn't you find it a bit creepy to have Doogie in the gym photographing you as you work out?
If it was some random guy doing the photographing, it would be creepy, when a sports reporter does it, not so much. Cut doogie some slack, he's a Gophers fan.

I don't see how they can they can not let Bateman back at this point, it would seem quite hypocritical.

So the argument to not grant him the waiver is the following:

He opted out Aug 4, before the B1G cancelled initially. This was also technically before the announcement for the Conference only season starting in September (but I would think that the Coaches and Players knew of this announcement at least one day before if not more). Due to that, and the fact that he signed with an agent so quickly, would seem to imply he had been thinking about opting out for a long time and had the B1G stuck with that schedule Bateman would not be playing and could not opt-back in. It follows that even though now there is the opportunity for him to come back he shouldn't be allowed since he opted out before the full cancellation.

The argument for granting him the waiver is as follows (which I agree with):

He opted out for health reasons. At the time, even though the B1G was playing he did not feel safe with the existing health safety protocols given that he has asthma. Now that time has progressed, the B1G admitted that they didn't think their protocols were safe enough to play either since they cancelled. Now that there have been advancements in testing, the protocols have been updated and now both the B1G and Bateman feel it is safe to play. Since he made his decision based on his health and safety, and now there are new protocols that are better, he should be allowed to play.
NCAA needs to Change its Best!

Top Bottom