Bateman opting out of 2020 Football Season

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Well, this sucks. It's Minnesota sports- not surprising.

1596545971841.png

Words can not explain how big of a blow this is. Just sucks.

I can somewhat understand not playing in a bowl game in order to get ready for the draft, but skipping an entire season? Not sure that's the best idea right now if he's serious about trying to be a top pick.

He says it’s about concerns around COVID. I say bullshit, but I also understand it gives him cover to prepare for the draft without risking injury, and he doesn’t have to go to school. I might have done the same thing in his position.

Hopefully it is the right decision. A lot of other receivers could have monster years if football happens. Could really help them leapfrog Bateman in the draft and cost him a lot of money.

With that said I wish him well. We couldn't have had the season we had last year without him.

What an effing coward. Good riddance dude. Stupid POS
Don’t bring that drivel in here. I’m not one at all worried about COVID, but you can’t blame a guy for being worried. The dude balled out for us, he stuck with us even when his home state school came late to try and land him... Dude is a beast and will be a great NFL player that will help us recruit more studs to the U!

Wasn’t he in a tweet/ig talking about quarantining? Thought that meant he might’ve already contracted it. Guess not.

Only cowards who don’t deserve to be Gopher fans or have a degree from the school will not wish him well, after everything he’s done for us!!!

Good luck Rashod!!!

Don’t bring that drivel in here. I’m not one at all worried about COVID, but you can’t blame a guy for being worried. The dude balled out for us, he stuck with us even when his home state school came late to try and land him... Dude is a beast and will be a great NFL player that will help us recruit more studs to the U!

I certainly was hoping for one more year of watching him in maroon and gold, but wish him nothing but the best and I thank him for all he did for our University.

Wow. What a selfish comment. Character-revealing.
Hook. Line. Sinker.

The gutless bastard said that to troll people, and you fell for it.

Let him be the tiny dick virgin that he is, and ignore him.

I guess Tyler's example was not enough to overcome the alternative reality that constitutes existence now.

Hard to imagine the earlier racial strife was not an unspoken factor too, but as unspoken that is pure speculation on my part.

Next men up...plus, I think Tanner's up to the task if the receivers give him something to work with.

As a Georgia Bulldog in youth, this reminds me of how fans felt when Herschel declared after his junior year and went to the USFL. Georgia was good that next season too, but would have been in contention for the Natty again with Walker on the field. We made it to the Cotton Bowl instead, beat Texas...and that loss took the Natty from them, which felt very good. Was there to boot.

Back to Gophers reality, all predictions about this season are off. This is how big this is. I wish him well.

Last edited:

I suddenly care a whole lot less if there is a season now. Damn.
Right? What if Morgan is next?

At that point, I don’t want games to be played, as it will unfairly diminish Fleck’s record and momentum.

I can somewhat understand not playing in a bowl game in order to get ready for the draft, but skipping an entire season? Not sure that's the best idea right now if he's serious about trying to be a top pick.
LOL

Huge blow, but I think we're much better positioned to handle a loss like this than in years past. Honestly, it'll give some of the young guys an opportunity to step up in somewhat of "lost" season in preparation for a regular return to normal in 2021. Looking forward to seeing what CAB, Emilien, etc. can do in the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom