Bateman opting out of 2020 Football Season

Bummer, was really wanting to see him in Maroon & Gold for one more season. Best of luck Rashod, you did us proud!

Would love to see him in Purple & Gold!

Right? What if Morgan is next?

At that point, I don’t want games to be played, as it will unfairly diminish Fleck’s record and momentum.

Could definitely see Morgan opting out given the health issues his father has had in the past.

I mean it only in the context of actual football being played. In regards to COVID, all bets are off.
There’s at least a 50% chance of no football being played.

I’m sure teams are going to pass on his talent to draft a guy clearly worse because he opted out of going to a college campus during a pandemic

This isn’t that surprising given the uncertainty surrounding public health and whether or not a season will even be played this fall.

If the season is moved to the spring more of the top players with a first round or second round NFL draft grade will be opting out.

There’s at least a 50% chance of no football being played.

I’m sure teams are going to pass on his talent to draft a guy clearly worse because he opted out of going to a college campus during a pandemic

I'm not sure if guys that get extra game reps and as a result put up big numbers would be considered "clearly worse" than a guy who won't have played in over a year (at the college level no less). That's my point. But I'm not an NFL GM, so I don't have to take those things into account.

As for the pandemic, its just another example of how poorly this has been handled and I completely understand his decision. His health is far more important than anything else, so the previous argument is likely moot.

All I'll say is good luck Rashod! :)

Sorry circumstances forced you to make a gut-wrenching decision like this one! We're all rooting for you!

If you stay in school you can’t accept money from agents.

so get paid to not play football or don’t get paid to live on a college campus with nothing to do and maybe play football. Easy choice if you’re an early round pick who is eligible for 2021 draft

I'm not sure if guys that get extra game reps and as a result put up big numbers would be considered "clearly worse" than a guy who won't have played in over a year (at the college level no less). That's my point. But I'm not an NFL GM, so I don't have to take those things into account.

As for the pandemic, its just another example of how poorly this has been handled and I completely understand his decision. His health is far more important than anything else, so the previous argument is likely moot.

Sorry circumstances forced you to make a gut-wrenching decision like this one! We're all rooting for you!
I would bet money he is a first round pick. And if he isn’t the GM who gets him in the second round has made the best pick in the draft

Right? What if Morgan is next?

At that point, I don’t want games to be played, as it will unfairly diminish Fleck’s record and momentum.
This is sarcasm, right?

This isn’t that surprising given the uncertainty surrounding public health and whether or not a season will even be played this fall.

If the season is moved to the spring more of the top players with a first round or second round NFL draft grade will be opting out.

Saw this on the news this morning;

PAC-12 Football players threatening boycott this year unless certain conditions met.

'After the University of Oregon, and the rest of the Pac-12, released their condensed 2020 football schedule, players across the conference are raising their concerns. A multischool coalition of college football players are threatening to boycott the season if health and safety protocols are not met, as well as having the league address concerns about fighting racial injustice, according to ESPN.

Players from Oregon, UCLA, Cal and Stanford are at the forefront of the movement. The group plans to release a statement of unity as early as Sunday. However, Pac-12 officials claim to not have heard from the players.'

For a fan that has seen some really tough breaks for the program, this feels like about par for the course as a gopher fan. Can't have nice things. :mad:

Have to just renew our faith that Fleck has other Rashod's in the pipeline, but gut tells me he was a once in a generation talent.

I don't like it but I understand it. My interest in this season is on a downward trend unfortunately.

I would bet money he is a first round pick. And if he isn’t the GM who gets him in the second round has made the best pick in the draft
I hope you're right...

How long until some basement blogger makes up character concerns about Rashad?

This sucks. I really enjoy watching him play football, especially for the Gophers. If there is a season, we'll obviously miss his production.

I don't blame him. I wish him the best. I hope he is the 2nd in a long line of All-conference caliber wide receivers at the University of Minnesota (well, he was 2nd but it'd be nice if we continued to have guys of that caliber)

Agreed with some above, as a fan this is devastating, the total definition of Minnesota Sports, when the future looks the brightest we get hit the hardest.

But for the kid (who by the way, appears to be about as good of a kid as he a football player) its the right move and great for him. With all the uncertainty there really seems like no reason to sit in school.

As far as the draft, he is 100% going to be a 1st round pick. The dude is a freak and there were 6 WR in rd 1 (plus the 1st 2 picks of the 2nd round) last year. Rashad is clearly better than 4 of them at least and i could make an argument is better than or equal to all of them. And if you look at any advanced analtycs he really jumps off the page.

The one thing I hope RB (and all guys for that matter) say is they cant see playing for anyone other than the UofM and Fleck and pump that out there. Thats a big deal, if we are chasing a WR in GA and Bateman tells him how awesome the U is that clearly helps.

For a fan that has seen some really tough breaks for the program, this feels like about par for the course as a gopher fan. Can't have nice things. :mad:

Have to just renew our faith that Fleck has other Rashod's in the pipeline, but gut tells me he was a once in a generation talent.
We had two receivers of that caliber on the team last year. So at least 2 in a generation

Nick Bosa skipped most of his final season for some combination of injury and prepping for the draft and he went #2 overall.

Damn that sucks but it's understandable. After last year his stock couldn't be that much higher. Get ready for the draft Bateman!

Nick Bosa skipped most of his final season for some combination of injury and prepping for the draft and he went #2 overall.
People who say that missing time will hurt him are just flat wrong.
More likely to hurt his stock playing and get hurt than by training with high level trainers for 10 months. It’s not like he was a 1 week wonder. He was big ten WR of the year.

The possibility of maybe playing in empty stadiums, while living on campus, when everything is shutdown, and even if it was open you shouldn’t go because positive Covid test would put you out 2 weeks at a minimum is less appealing than getting paid to train and being a first round pick.

His family is probably taken care of for at least a year when he signs with an agent this week

Top Bottom