Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reason why players should be given the opportunity to transfer, without penalty, when a school makes a head coaching change. These are 17-18-19 year olds who are making a decision to play football at the D1 level based on a gut-feeling of chemistry with the current coaching staff. Unless they're going to Stanford or Northwestern, they aren't making that decision based on the quality of the chemistry or philosophy departments. Kill has apparently admitted that the upperclassmen don't like him all that much. He probably knew that was going to be the case when he signed his contract with Maturi. Coaches can leave a program anytime they want and be on the sidelines for the next season. There's no good reason that a student-ATHLETE should be held to a more strict standard.

Anybody who has known a D1 player that has lived through a coaching change can testify that the new staff will go out their way to run certain players out of the program. These are adults treating minors like chattel.

And please don't give me that B.S. about the "free" education. They earn that in spades.

It would be a hard transition to say the least expecting to play for Tim Brewster and ending up with Jerry Kill.

Good riddance Barker. Anyone who cares about his team wouldn't do everything in his power to drag them through a media circus.

It's always the coaches fault isn't it? It was at Wisconsin, and again at Minnesota.

In his defense, Brewster and Kill seem to be two VERY different coaching styles. I wouldn't expect someone who committed to Brew to be a huge fan of Kill and his coaching methods.

Agreed, but Kill isn't playing for this year or next. He knows 2014 is his make or break year. There's a reason that he is playing so many underclassmen. Barker deserves a scholie, but I am guessing that Kill would rather give it to a new recruit next year and risk losing Barker.

I agree the reason he's not getting a scholarship is that he's already a junior. It's a bitter pill to swallow because I'm sure that was Barker's goal; perhaps not because he needed the money (although who doesn't), but that it would have been an impressive achievement.

I like Kill and want him to do well, but the last half of the season has been a real dumpster fire.

PS--Too bad there wasn't a character limit on his blog.

This is the reason why players should be given the opportunity to transfer, without penalty, when a school makes a head coaching change. These are 17-18-19 year olds who are making a decision to play football at the D1 level based on a gut-feeling of chemistry with the current coaching staff. Unless they're going to Stanford or Northwestern, they aren't making that decision based on the quality of the chemistry or philosophy departments. Kill has apparently admitted that the upperclassmen don't like him all that much. He probably knew that was going to be the case when he signed his contract with Maturi. Coaches can leave a program anytime they want and be on the sidelines for the next season. There's no good reason that a student-ATHLETE should be held to a more strict standard.

Anybody who has known a D1 player that has lived through a coaching change can testify that the new staff will go out their way to run certain players out of the program. These are adults treating minors like chattel.

And please don't give me that B.S. about the "free" education. They earn that in spades.

Barker is a walk-on and could have left when Kill was hired, he could have left at the end of last year. He's now 22 months into a program and snaps. Bad day for the Gophers because so many questions will be asked and many will need to be answered.

It may have felt good to AJ at the time but I have no doubt he's going to regret going out like this, this will stick to him much longer than it will stick to coach Kill.

D1 college football is not all rainbows and candycanes, I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to find a program anywhere without a few disgruntled players, it's the nature of the beast.

I remember Kill singing Barkers praises coming out of fall camp and everybody saying Barker? And kill saying yes Barker, he's been one of our best receivers in camp. Can't see where Kill would have had it out for Barker the way he talked about him coming out of fall camp and the fact that he gave him a legitimate opportunity to show what he had. Just the fact of the way Barker handled this shows a lot. Good riddance, hopefully you'll grow up someday, but I won't hold my breath. Sounds like you've been just a tad spoiled.

Poetic justice would see the kid end up at St. Thomas next year. Hard to see a D-I team taking on a headcase like this

I'm hoping he ends up at my alma mater, Auggie Tech. They took a big step forward this year and Barker would be a great addition!

Seriously, I wonder where he will end up playing.

Bet this kid will feel like an ass when he wakes up Saturday morning and his ankle feels fine.

All b.s. aside though, this kid definitely could be suffering from mental problems, that rambling rant opens up all kinds of diagnosis possibilities. Hopefully he can work through his problems. Actually the good news would be that he is not suffering from mental illness and he is just another overprivileged pampered suburban punk. In which case I say "good luck with the rest of your life boy".

However, if I was the team's BEST Wide Receiver and the Coach told me I wasn't going to get a scholarship I would be pretty upset. Who cares of where he grew up. Keep in mind that DeLaSalle tuition is nowhere near Blake or Breck and is one of the most "affordable" private schools. For three years it seems like he grinded to prove he was a scholarship player.

Remember, AJ was a non-recruited walk on who I assume worked day and night to be a contributing player. He finally puts in the work and the Coach tells him that he can't have 1 scholarship out of 85?

I don't believe that's entitlement. Maybe entitlement is for the recruited players who haven't seen the field and are juniors and seniors. What have they done to keep their scholarship? Just saying that obviously AJ earned a scholarship and Coach didn't give it to him.

Not counting this year's seniors, AJ would've been a Top 5 player on next year's team, possibly Top 3 or maybe the best. I would be frustrated by not receiving a scholarship either.

However, you never go out like that and send a 4,000 word letter. I think that both sides are wrong here.

Would you be willing to expand or provide some examples? You have hinted at this before, but often times it was vague.

Kill has always said he likes to recruit his type of players. I am not sure what this means, but maybe those that fit into his coaching style?

Fair question.

I apologize for being purposely vague but the truth is I'm under "orders" not to say because it (here I go being vague again) would go viral and become a big deal.

Barker is a walk-on and could have left when Kill was hired, he could have left at the end of last year. He's now 22 months into a program and snaps. Bad day for the Gophers because so many questions will be asked and many will need to be answered.

You're right. I realize that Barker's case is different since he didn't have a schollie. He could have walked at any point and now has picked that point.

Fair question.

I apologize for being purposely vague but the truth is I'm under "orders" not to say because it (here I go being vague again) would go viral and become a big deal. The truth is if Kill keeps handling his players medical situations like he handled AJ's....media folks will start asking questions and..................

does your and............... finish up with, "I would sure love some TV face time!!"?

I remember Kill singing Barkers praises coming out of spring ball and everybody saying Barker? And kill saying yes Barker, he's been one of our best receivers in camp. Can't see where Kill would have had it out for Barker the way he talked about him coming out of fall camp and the fact that he gave him a legitimate opportunity to show what he had. Just the fact of the way Barker handled this shows a lot. Good riddance, hopefully you'll grow up someday, but I won't hold my breath. Sounds like you've been just a tad spoiled.

I remember that too. Whatever Barker says happened behind closed doors, Kill praised Barker at the start of the season.

Fair question.

I apologize for being purposely vague but the truth is I'm under "orders" not to say because it (here I go being vague again) would go viral and become a big deal.

Plus if you told us,you would have to kill us.

AJ is becoming quite the media whore.

FOX 9 Sports ‏@Fox9Sports

Tonight on FOX-9 News at 9:45 and at 10:15 on Primetime--Hear from #Gophers @A_Barker_82 about his decision to leave school

Plus his scheduled radio interview... Makes you wonder about his motivation?

AJ is becoming quite the media whore.

FOX 9 Sports ‏@Fox9Sports

Tonight on FOX-9 News at 9:45 and at 10:15 on Primetime--Hear from #Gophers @A_Barker_82 about his decision to leave school

Plus his scheduled radio interview... Makes you wonder about his motivation?

Not to be outdone:

@A_Barker_82 speaks with @kare11 . Hear what he has to say after the game. pic.twitter.com/MecixjO6

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom