Badgers/AZ State

Question: What is Wisconsin's ultimate goal?

Stave snaps the ball with 15 seconds, moves left for better positioning, and takes a knee. This would take 3 seconds. We now have 12 seoconds. Ball must be placed, players line up and ball spiked in 9 seconds or so. It can be done but it is not automatic.

Should have just kcked the field goal.

I am amused that they are willing to assume they would have properly executed the field goal, even though they couldn't take a knee (easiest play in all of football) without running into each other in the backfield. Also amused that they are outraged at losing the chance to kick the field goal because of slow ball placement, when they were only in field goal range because of an actual bad call missing the out of bounds.

I am amused that they are willing to assume they would have properly executed the field goal, even though they couldn't take a knee (easiest play in all of football) without running into each other in the backfield. Also amused that they are outraged at losing the chance to kick the field goal because of slow ball placement, when they were only in field goal range because of an actual bad call missing the out of bounds.

Their kicker was 10 of 16 last year. It was far from a sure thing.

"This was an unusual situation to end the game," said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “After a thorough review, we have determined that the officials fell short of the high standard in which Pac-12 games should be managed. We will continue to work with all our officials to ensure this type of situation never occurs again."
ROFL!!! Oh yeah. Never again.

i guess either i am watching a different game or many of you all are letting you hatred for the badgers cloud your judgement.

1. stave clearly kneels.

2. both the ref and the umpire blow their whistles right as stave sits the ball down and the umpire is clearly running toward the ball to spot it.

3. again, i don't know what game everyone else was watching, but every badger runs back to their line just after the whistle blows. the linemen can't get in position to snap because there are five devils standing around the ball. but they are all there ready to go.

4. the asu players know that it is down as well, or at least they know that the ball was dead. they hesitate, stare at the ball and each other and then jumped on it.

the refs clearly blew it and then ran away instead of correcting their mistake.

edit: not only does stave clearly kneel, the ref saw that he kneeled and pointed to the ground to say it is down with 10 seconds to go and heads back to his position for the next snap, which he assumes will happen in a matter of seconds. the umpire, who's job it is to spot the ball is clearly trying to get the players off the ball at 9 seconds to spot the ball, but then when the ball is spotted he, inexplicably, holds his hand up to keep the badgers from snapping for two more seconds.

Regardless of whether he kneeled, why did that play happen? No timeouts left and less than 20 seconds on the clock? Bonehead move #1. Should Stave have spiked the ball in order to stop the clock? Instead.....once again, regardless of whether he took a knee or not......the clock continues to run. Bonehead play #2. Were they lined up ready to spike the ball when it was placed by the ref? They had around four seconds to snap the ball and spike it......and they weren't ready because everyone was confused by the play and the Badgers stood around doing nothing until they realized that the refs do not hand out free timeouts because the QB made bonehead play #3.

Delay of game is another poor excuse. We needed close-up still shots in order to determine whether Stave kneeled or not. Do you think that the ASU defensive player saw this happen, or do you think he thought "hey, free ball, game over." Not sure that he did that intentionally in order to run the clock, but if he did......ASU clearly knew something that the Badgers didn't.

Ball placed with four seconds left. Badgers stand around and do nothing until the last second. An obvious way that they could have corrected that mistake to run the previous play.

Regardless of whether he kneeled, why did that play happen? No timeouts left and less than 20 seconds on the clock? Bonehead move #1. Should Stave have spiked the ball in order to stop the clock? Instead.....once again, regardless of whether he took a knee or not......the clock continues to run. Bonehead play #2. Were they lined up ready to spike the ball when it was placed by the ref? They had around four seconds to snap the ball and spike it......and they weren't ready because everyone was confused by the play and the Badgers stood around doing nothing until they realized that the refs do not hand out free timeouts because the QB made bonehead play #3.

Delay of game is another poor excuse. We needed close-up still shots in order to determine whether Stave kneeled or not. Do you think that the ASU defensive player saw this happen, or do you think he thought "hey, free ball, game over." Not sure that he did that intentionally in order to run the clock, but if he did......ASU clearly knew something that the Badgers didn't.

Ball placed with four seconds left. Badgers stand around and do nothing until the last second. An obvious way that they could have corrected that mistake to run the previous play.

Take #1
No timeouts at this point is bad, but I don't call it bonehead. They used them earlier. They also got to this point with good enough clock management to have 15 sec left after he took a knee.
Bad Take #2
He didn't spike it, because they wanted to move the ball to the middle of the hashes, then spike the ball on the next play.
Bad Take #3
The Badgers were lined up and waiting for the umpire to place the ball so they could get in their stance. Umpire just stood around. You can't start until the ball is set and the umpire signals it ok to go.

As for the wish for close-ups, look above you in the thread. There are plenty of them there.

Last sentence is a repeat of bad take #3.

That being said, it couldn't have happened to a greater set of guys. I'm going to rub that loss in all year to the GF, but at least have the objectivity to admit that the PAC-12 refs REALLY f'd this one up.

Take #1
No timeouts at this point is bad, but I don't call it bonehead. They used them earlier. They also got to this point with good enough clock management to have 15 sec left after he took a knee.
Bad Take #2
He didn't spike it, because they wanted to move the ball to the middle of the hashes, then spike the ball on the next play.
Bad Take #3
The Badgers were lined up and waiting for the umpire to place the ball so they could get in their stance. Umpire just stood around. You can't start until the ball is set and the umpire signals it ok to go.

As for the wish for close-ups, look above you in the thread. There are plenty of them there.

Last sentence is a repeat of bad take #3.

That being said, it couldn't have happened to a greater set of guys. I'm going to rub that loss in all year to the GF, but at least have the objectivity to admit that the PAC-12 refs REALLY f'd this one up.

#1....yes boneheaded. Stave could have spiked the ball, stopped the clock, and the Badgers STILL would have had a chip shot FG attempt. Or......he could have considered kneeling the ball and handing it directly to the ref in order to speed up the process.

#2....I agree that it was their plan to move the ball to the middle of the field.....but with a short FG like that.......how necessary was it? Even the announcers during the game were discussing some of the things that could go wrong and shoot Wisconsin in the foot.

#3....the Badgers were not lined up. They were loosely in their formation, but nobody on that team was prepared to snap the ball.....and they easily could have been the case.

Look.....I'm not trying to give the officials a pass here. They did a crumby job not only on the last play.....but earlier in the drive (which Badger apologists choose to ignore). All I am trying to say is that there were things that the Badgers could have done pre-snap, during the play, and post-play. They didn't execute one correctly so you really cannot put all of the blame on the refs here.

They had the game practically locked. Mistakes by the coaching staff, offense, and refs made for a perfect sh*#storm. It happens in sports on all levels. The human element means that every once in while......some nutjob play will occur that will change the outcome of what seems to be a sealed game. You simply cannot give a pass to Wisconsin on this one. They made their own mistakes which contributed to the loss. Did they get the short-end of the stick on this one? No question. Did they get "jobbed by the refs"? Bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. The coaching staff and players on a Big Ten team....playing a Pac-12 team on the road need to have more common sense and preparation than they showed.

#1....yes boneheaded. Stave could have spiked the ball, stopped the clock, and the Badgers STILL would have had a chip shot FG attempt. Or......he could have considered kneeling the ball and handing it directly to the ref in order to speed up the process.

#2....I agree that it was their plan to move the ball to the middle of the field.....but with a short FG like that.......how necessary was it? Even the announcers during the game were discussing some of the things that could go wrong and shoot Wisconsin in the foot.

#3....the Badgers were not lined up. They were loosely in their formation, but nobody on that team was prepared to snap the ball.....and they easily could have been the case.

Look.....I'm not trying to give the officials a pass here. They did a crumby job not only on the last play.....but earlier in the drive (which Badger apologists choose to ignore). All I am trying to say is that there were things that the Badgers could have done pre-snap, during the play, and post-play. They didn't execute one correctly so you really cannot put all of the blame on the refs here.

They had the game practically locked. Mistakes by the coaching staff, offense, and refs made for a perfect sh*#storm. It happens in sports on all levels. The human element means that every once in while......some nutjob play will occur that will change the outcome of what seems to be a sealed game. You simply cannot give a pass to Wisconsin on this one. They made their own mistakes which contributed to the loss. Did they get the short-end of the stick on this one? No question. Did they get "jobbed by the refs"? Bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. The coaching staff and players on a Big Ten team....playing a Pac-12 team on the road need to have more common sense and preparation than they showed.

stocker, the clock had already been stopped on the play before. there was 18 seconds and the clock was stopped. let's say that the badgers kick the field goal, that takes 8-10 seconds off the clock, now they still have to kick off to the devils.

run a play to the center of the field that should not take much more than 10 seconds, spie the ball with less than 6 seconds, kick the field goal as time expires.

from everything i have read, objective football fans are placing the fault directly on the officials, who stood around playing pocket pool as time ticked and the badgers stood waiting for a spot. it doesn't matter what the defensive players thought (though again, it seems clear to me that they knew that the play was called down. i clearly heard two whistles), the officials need to be prying them off instead of tapping on the shoulder pads.

i hate sconie, but they should have been able to attempt the field goal. anyway, arguing at this point has become moo. it's a moo point.

Being a big picture person, this is pretty much what I know to be true of the ending of that game;

Come November or December, it's going to look like a big fat "L" in the column on the right, and that's about all anyone cares about.

The fact of the PAC 12 disciplining their crew exposes many here as clueless when it comes to the sport.

Don't be too eager to condone an outcome you could not accept if it was you. We all want fairness on the road or at home.

The fact of the PAC 12 disciplining their crew exposes many here as clueless when it comes to the sport.

Don't be too eager to condone an outcome you could not accept if it was you. We all want fairness on the road or at home.

You should probably just continue being thankful your team is in the Leaders division and keep cheering them on. At least this year only ONE of those teams is banned from the postseason.

Yeah, because the Badgers and their fans have been the epitome of knowledge, sportsmanship and fair play.. :rolleyes:

stocker, the clock had already been stopped on the play before. there was 18 seconds and the clock was stopped. let's say that the badgers kick the field goal, that takes 8-10 seconds off the clock, now they still have to kick off to the devils.

run a play to the center of the field that should not take much more than 10 seconds, spie the ball with less than 6 seconds, kick the field goal as time expires.

from everything i have read, objective football fans are placing the fault directly on the officials, who stood around playing pocket pool as time ticked and the badgers stood waiting for a spot. it doesn't matter what the defensive players thought (though again, it seems clear to me that they knew that the play was called down. i clearly heard two whistles), the officials need to be prying them off instead of tapping on the shoulder pads.

i hate sconie, but they should have been able to attempt the field goal. anyway, arguing at this point has become moo. it's a moo point.

But he failed to take an obvious knee and an ASU player jumped on the ball. Why didn't Stave hand the ball to the refs? Why was the offense standing around confused when the ball was placed. Why when the ASU player jumped on the ball wasn't the Wisconsin coaching staff yelling and screaming, but instead......doing exactly what the offense was doing.....nothing. They were all flatfooted and the play was goofy all around. The refs certainly get blame for that play......but Wisconsin doesn't get any pass for their part in the ending of that play.

Quit crying about it like a baby. The game is over. The outcome isn't going to change.

Apparently that field goal wasn't a guarantee lol

Tweet from ESPN Big10

So, Kyle French misses a 32-yarder on the road in between the hashes ... Interesting. #WISvsOSU

Apparently that field goal wasn't a guarantee lol

Tweet from ESPN Big10

So, Kyle French misses a 32-yarder on the road in between the hashes ... Interesting. #WISvsOSU

I thought about that too when it happened.

Top Bottom