B1G vs SEC bowl games 2023/24

Taji34

Reaction score
#9 Missouri vs #7 Ohio State - Missouri won
#11 Ole Miss vs #10 Penn State - Ole Miss won
Auburn vs Maryland - Maryland Won
#13 LSU vs wisconsin - LSU won
#21 Tennessee vs #17 Iowa - Tennessee won

We're currently 1-4 head to head with the SEC this bowl season, with Maryland if all teams pulling out the sole win.

Hopefully Michigan doesn't choke vs Alabama, otherwise we're gonna have a long off-season hearing how weak the B1G is compared to the SEC....

Washington vs Texas is a defacto B1G vs SEC game as well given they are both moving conferences next year, hopefully Washington comes out ahead on that one too.

We're currently 1-4 head to head with the SEC this bowl season, with Maryland if all teams pulling out the sole win.

Hopefully Michigan doesn't choke vs Alabama, otherwise we're gonna have a long off-season hearing how weak the B1G is compared to the SEC....

Washington vs Texas is a defacto B1G vs SEC game as well given they are both moving conferences next year, hopefully Washington comes out ahead on that one too.
Honestly, of that bunch, I was only rooting for Maryland.
But Go Michigan!

Pretty much underdogs in all games except Ohio State. Buckeyes choked! Penn State had two many opt out compared to Ole Miss (secondary/db's) and Sconi/Iowa were major dogs.

The SEC is better than the B1G. I don’t like it, but it’s true.

It’s amazing that the B1G playoff team(s) always get so close and collapse each time.

Get ready for another Bama championship. Yawn.

Yeah about that…..

The SEC is better than the B1G. I don’t like it, but it’s true.

It’s amazing that the B1G playoff team(s) always get so close and collapse each time.

Get ready for another Bama championship. Yawn.
Yeah about that…..
Michigan pulls off the win! Now if Washington wins vs Texas it will be a B1G vs future B1G championship!

Missouri, Ole Miss and TN had the FAR superior QBs. Flip the QBs and the results are different, except maybe Iowa. I did not watch the Maryland game. The Wisconsin QB made up for the slight LSU talent difference for most of the game until he sort of fell apart at the end. Michigan-Alabama QBs were closer to a toss up, but JJ McCarthy is better and, surprisingly, the talent on each team was similar too. Penix is better than Ewers, but not by that much. Texas has the better athletes. It will be interesting if Penix is enough.

Last edited:

Disagree. Penix is much better.
I keep seeing mock drafts with Penix going after Nix, McCarthy, Ewers (who I know they are saying is returning), but I just don't see it. Penix has been awesome in every game I've seen.

(Side note - the Vikes really need to come out with a QB in the first two rounds, there are a lot of nice QBs in this draft).

I keep seeing mock drafts with Penix going after Nix, McCarthy, Ewers (who I know they are saying is returning), but I just don't see it. Penix has been awesome in every game I've seen.

(Side note - the Vikes really need to come out with a QB in the first two rounds, there are a lot of nice QBs in this draft).
That is due to Penix injury history. Based on skill out of the gate, he is probably on par with Williams.

I think the team that gets Penix will be getting a star (assuming he does not have another knee injury). He gets it down through great decision making and accuracy vs. pure athletic ability - that should translate well to the NFL.

Washington pulls it off!

Missouri, Ole Miss and TN had the FAR superior QBs. Flip the QBs and the results are different, except maybe Iowa. I did not watch the Maryland game. The Wisconsin QB made up for the slight LSU talent difference for most of the game until he sort of fell apart at the end. Michigan-Alabama QBs were closer to a toss up, but JJ McCarthy is better and, surprisingly, the talent on each team was similar too. Penix is better than Ewers, but not by that much. Texas has the better athletes. It will be interesting if Penix is enough.
Not sure Dart is FAR superior to Allar.

Not sure Dart is FAR superior to Allar.
You’re right. I meant that more for the other two.

Dart is a Junior with multiple years as a starter while this was Allar’s first year starting and I thought that showed in the game. Dart seemed much more calm and consistent to me. Allar made some good plays, but was more erratic. Dart was the better player to me, but not far superior. What was your impression?

You’re right. I meant that more for the other two.

Dart is a Junior with multiple years as a starter while this was Allar’s first year starting and I thought that showed in the game. Dart seemed much more calm and consistent to me. Allar made some good plays, but was more erratic. Dart was the better player to me, but not far superior. What was your impression?
I haven’t watched much of either. I watched a bit of that game, Dart certainly had a hell of a game.

Honestly, comparing bowl records in 2023 is a waste of time. Even in the Quick Lane Bowl - no Nubin, BSF, etc.

Only thing that is worth comparing is the CFP and Regular Season.

I loved Kirby Smart’s press conference. To me it came across as “my starters are far better than Florida State’s backups, but that isn’t what college football is about.”

Last edited:

Now it's B1G 3, SEC 4.

It's an All-B1G championship game, and two SEC teams got beat by the B1G in the semis.

So much for hearing any smack talk from SEC folk. I think it'll be pretty quiet.

Now it's B1G 3, SEC 4.

It's an All-B1G championship game, and two SEC teams got beat by the B1G in the semis.

So much for hearing any smack talk from SEC folk. I think it'll be pretty quiet.
Washington isn't yet a B1G team, nor is Texas an SEC team.

One SEC team got beat by the B1G in the semis.

Regardless of record. Conference strength debates are dumb.

Michigan beat Texas.

So I guess that means Minnesota is better than Mississippi State.
OR
Those two questions really don’t have anything to do with each other

The Vikings need much improved offensive line or it really doesn’t matter who they have at qb, imho.

Nix does nothing for me in terms of the Vikings drafting him. He's good at getting the short passes out of his hands and letting Oregon's athletes do the rest of the work, but was exposed in the PAC Championship game IMO. Agreed that I like Penix as well. Ewers has a lot of upside so I can see why he's rated that highly, even if he doesn't always play up to it. I'd also put Penix above McCarthy.

I mostly brought it up because it seemed like we had an unusual amount of bowl games vs SEC teams, but maybe I am forgetting previous years.

In any case, I agree the transfer portal has made bowl games that aren't the CFP less important to players, which in turn makes the head to head matchups less comparative than they were in the past.

I years past I always thought the middle and bottom of the B1G were better than the middle and bottom of the SEC, and head to head bowl games seemed to support that. However, the top of the SEC in years past was better than the top of the B1G. It seems, however, maybe that has reversed somewhat.

Technically it's the off-season so I'd argue teams are closer to their new conferences than their old ones.
The only Big 10 team Washington played all season was Michigan State. I don't think people really think of Washington as a Big 10 team yet. Hell, I barely consider Rutgers a Big 10 team.

Top Bottom