B1G vs SEC bowl games 2023/24

Technically it's the off-season so I'd argue teams are closer to their new conferences than their old ones.
Technically Washington isn't in the offseason yet.

Washington doesn't become a member of the B1G until August 2nd. Counting their CFB Playoff win for the B1G is silly.
If Washington's basketball team wins the NCAA tournament will that count for the B1G as well?

With all the portals and opt outs the head to head is a little meaningless
Yeah, at this point looking at all non playoff bowl games as any sort of representation of the teams involved is pretty pointless with the number of guys teams are missing and often at key positions as well.

The playoff matchups are the exception and in those matchups it was Big Ten 1 - SEC 0 and future Big Ten 1 - Future SEC 0. So even though Washington doesn't join the conference until next season, yesterday was still a good day for the Big Ten in relation to the SEC in the games where the rosters were fully in tact.

The SEC got the better of the other matchups but tough to say how those games would have played out if the teams had been at full strength. Ohio State likely beats Missouri and Tennessee almost certainly still beats Iowa. Tough to say how the other games would have gone.

Technically Washington isn't in the offseason yet.

Washington doesn't become a member of the B1G until August 2nd. Counting their CFB Playoff win for the B1G is silly.
If Washington's basketball team wins the NCAA tournament will that count for the B1G as well?
It sure as heck is a great chance for a great rivalry grudge match for the B1G conference the next time Washington and Michigan go head to head though. It really is a preview of things to come in B1G football!

Washington is a program that should make gopher fans excited. They were 4-8 3 years ago
0-12 in 2008
1-10 in 2004

In the last 30 years, 19 seasons with 7 or fewer wins. (Gophers are 23/30 at 7 or fewer…. And 3 of the 7 over 7 happen to be with the current coach in the last 5 seasons)

They’re proof that any team can get their shit together and make a couple playoffs and maybe win a national title.

With all the portals and opt outs the head to head is a little meaningless
More than a little.

It has rendered non-CFP bowls to be completely decoupled from the season results.

Players and coaches don’t stick around. Not at all the same teams …

They’re proof that any team can get their shit together and make a couple playoffs and maybe win a national title.
Apples to oranges because of the near captive way they can recruit California.

We can’t recruit Texas/the South anywhere near the same way.

Apples to oranges because of the near captive way they can recruit California.

We can’t recruit Texas/the South anywhere near the same way.
Washington has better access to Florida than Mn

Got it 😂

Teams in the Central and Eastern timezones have zero need to go all the way over to California to recruit players. Why bother? They have all the players they need in Texas, the South, even Virginia/DMV, Ohio, Penn, NJ.

This leaves California high end players “stranded” in a sense. And there are a lot of them and some very good ones.

Their main options for high end college are the former PAC schools. 12 schools, total. And even then Stanford, Berkeley are high academic and usually not good, UCLA usually not good. Only so many guys can get on USC.

Easy to see then how a nothing school like Oregon can swoop in suck up a bunch of great Calif. guys.

Washington can too.

This is a unique and highly geographical reality of the shape of our country and where football is emphasized.

Minnesota is the worst of both worlds. About as far away as you can get from both Calif and the South.

Culturally opposite of both. Cold is opposite of both.

Watch someone will find some SEC or ACC anecdote that had a California starter.

“See! Disproven!”

Yep that’s how the world works, either 0% or 100%. Can’t be 97% correct. :rolleyes:

More than a little.

It has rendered non-CFP bowls to be completely decoupled from the season results.

Players and coaches don’t stick around. Not at all the same teams …
It definitely is harder now. Check out this article on Penn State opt outs for the Ole Miss game. They had two pro level corners not play in the game and Ole Miss roasted them through the air. I've also heard in multiple places that Franklin was able to get some of his players to NOT opt out by saying he'd play them limited snaps. Some didn't even play in the second half. This also happened on SEC teams of course.

https://www.si.com/college/pennstat...es-franklin-nittany-lions-opt-outs-peach-bowl

Teams in the Central and Eastern timezones have zero need to go all the way over to California to recruit players. Why bother? They have all the players they need in Texas, the South, even Virginia/DMV, Ohio, Penn, NJ.

This leaves California high end players “stranded” in a sense. And there are a lot of them and some very good ones.

Their main options for high end college are the former PAC schools. 12 schools, total. And even then Stanford, Berkeley are high academic and usually not good, UCLA usually not good. Only so many guys can get on USC.

Easy to see then how a nothing school like Oregon can swoop in suck up a bunch of great Calif. guys.

Washington can too.

This is a unique and highly geographical reality of the shape of our country and where football is emphasized.

Minnesota is the worst of both worlds. About as far away as you can get from both Calif and the South.

Culturally opposite of both. Cold is opposite of both.
LOL.

You really aren't very bright.

There is no geographic reason Washington has any built in advantage recruiting California.

If they did, whatever they gained they'd lose recruiting Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc.

Seattle is farther from LA than Minneapolis is from Dallas.

There is no geographic reason Washington has any built in advantage recruiting California.
Yes there is. I just explained it.

If they did, whatever they gained they'd lose recruiting Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc..
Hence why they don’t recruit those places very hard. They don’t have a need to. They have California.

Mind you this is mainly relevant for high school recruiting.

P5 to P5 transfers is a completely different animal.

Hence why a starting QB who was at Indiana was willing to go to a place like Washington. That wouldn’t happen with an all-state Indiana high school player.

I lived in southern and central Cal for a short period of time when I was in the Navy. A lot of people from California like and are willing to live in the Pacific northwest. It has a good reputation. When I was in the Navy, some of the most sought after billets were in the Seattle area and northwest. A lot of people love the climate and area. I personally don't get it and will take our four seasons, but almost no one across the country that doesn't live hear feels that way about Minnesota. Most just think it's the arctic up here. In any case, I also lived in the "traditional" south of the US and no one I ever ran into down there wanted to live in the north. The "West" coast, both north and south are more similar in many ways including culturally than the "north" and "south" here in the Midwest. We have bigger challenges recruiting than Washington when things are going well at both programs.

Washington has a strong history of recruiting southern Cal and they also have access to those very freakish genetically pacific islanders. I wish this weren't true for Minnesota, but I think it is. My hope is that the MONEY from being in the B1G eventually allows us to compete more for recruits when we can actually PAY players with TV money. Very high level players from the south WILL move north if they can get paid more to do so (see the NFL). Outside of that, I fear we will always be challenged from a recruiting perspective even vs. west coast teams.

I know some GHers are from the west coast. Can you weigh in on this?

I lived in southern and central Cal for a short period of time when I was in the Navy. A lot of people from California like and are willing to live in the Pacific northwest. It has a good reputation. When I was in the Navy, some of the most sought after billets were in the Seattle area and northwest. A lot of people love the climate and area. I personally don't get it and will take our four seasons, but almost no one across the country that doesn't live hear feels that way about Minnesota. Most just think it's the arctic up here. In any case, I also lived in the "traditional" south of the US and no one I ever ran into down there wanted to live in the north. The "West" coast, both north and south are more similar in many ways including culturally than the "north" and "south" here in the Midwest. We have bigger challenges recruiting than Washington when things are going well at both programs.

Washington has a strong history of recruiting southern Cal and they also have access to those very freakish genetically pacific islanders. I wish this weren't true for Minnesota, but I think it is. My hope is that the MONEY from being in the B1G eventually allows us to compete more for recruits when we can actually PAY players with TV money. Very high level players from the south WILL move north if they can get paid more to do so (see the NFL). Outside of that, I fear we will always be challenged from a recruiting perspective even vs. west coast teams.

I know some GHers are from the west coast. Can you weigh in on this?
These are excuses, not reasons.

These are excuses, not reasons.
I just think you disagree with my reasons which is fine. Washington has won one national championship in the semi-modern era (1991) and is in the national championship game once again vs. the Gophers zero. There are many reasons for this. I think better access to recruiting is one of them. I also think their 12-0 season in 1991 likely doesn't happen in the B1G because we are usually the stronger conference. AND they have maybe the best quarterback in college football this year which makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Whether we can ever attract a player of that caliber through the portal to Minnesota is unknown. So far, the answer has been no.

SEC is more deep and talented currently. Might change in the future though.
^^^ Posts that don't age well ^^^

We just had two B1G teams beat two SEC teams in the semis, making it an all B1G final.
  • B1G will end up going 9-5 in the playoffs (best winning percentage of any conference), with the overall champion also being a B1G team.
  • SEC ended up with a losing record of 5-6.

Last edited:

^^^ Posts that don't age well ^^^

We just had two B1G teams beat two SEC teams in the semis, making it an all B1G final.
  • B1G will end up going 9-5 in the playoffs (best winning percentage of any conference), with the overall champion also being a B1G team.
  • SEC ended up with a losing record of 5-6.
Ok. Well they are in their new leagues next year but I get your point. If Washington wins is it a PAC or a BIG championship?

It sure as heck is a great chance for a great rivalry grudge match for the B1G conference the next time Washington and Michigan go head to head though. It really is a preview of things to come in B1G football!
Washington enters the BIG with the best coaching staff in the conference.

Washington is a program that should make gopher fans excited. They were 4-8 3 years ago
0-12 in 2008
1-10 in 2004

In the last 30 years, 19 seasons with 7 or fewer wins. (Gophers are 23/30 at 7 or fewer…. And 3 of the 7 over 7 happen to be with the current coach in the last 5 seasons)

Head coach and staff.

Washington enters the BIG with the best coaching staff in the conference.
Next year will be very interesting with all four new PAC teams! Washington will start off minus maybe the best quarterback in college football and three pro level wide receivers. PJ looked a lot better when he had what I think most people now consider an above average quarterback, Tanner Morgan, and two future pro receivers.

The entire reason Washington is where they are is they have a
transfer QB from the U of Indiana.

Never would've even recruited him out of Florida, let alone be able to land him, let alone attempt recruit or land a talented high school QB out of the state of Indiana.

Already explained this

transfer QB from the U of Indiana.

Never would've even recruited him out of Florida, let alone be able to land him, let alone attempt recruit or land a talented high school QB out of the state of Indiana.

Already explained this
Which would be a really good point if high school recruiting is the only way you can win

“Washington has advantages over Minnesota because they can recruit better territory out of high school due to proximity to California”
-MPLDGopher

“Their best player is from Florida.”
-me

“They never would’ve gotten him from high school”
-MPLSGopher

“Yet he is still on their team and still is their best player”
-me

Which would be a really good point if high school recruiting is the only way you can win

“Washington has advantages over Minnesota because they can recruit better territory out of high school due to proximity to California”
-MPLDGopher

“Their best player is from Florida.”
-me

“They never would’ve gotten him from high school”
-MPLSGopher

“Yet he is still on their team and still is their best player”
-me
If you believe the U of Washington will continue to get 5* level transfers at QB every year, you have a valid point.

Indeed, all Minnesota has to do is just do that. Just go get Penix from somewhere like Indiana.

Good plan!

Of course you believe that transfer addition, and therefore Wash natty run, was just a stroke of good luck. You don’t believe they’ll be contenders every year going forward.

Per usual trying to troll both sides of the argument for your entertainment.

Top Bottom