B1G vs SEC bowl games 2023/24

I don’t know the NIL numbers. But Washington has never had to worry very much about funds for sports. As far as Kalen DeBoer’s salary, Washington isn’t going to overpay anyone, but they will be competitive. They just gave him $1 million raise, and I expect if he does as well in 2024, he’ll get another raise and extension. This is similar to how Coyle bumps up Fleck’s pay. Just don’t expect Michigan State craziness from Montlake.
Thanks for the perspectives.

Regarding your last sentence (I bolded above) ....... why not?

Is it crazy or is that just the market price? (Mind you I agree both can be true.)

If Washington is a Big Ten team now, and particularly if they win the natty .... why shouldn't DeBoer demand to be paid the same as the top salaries in the league? How can that possibly not make sense??

Thanks for the perspectives.

Regarding your last sentence (I bolded above) ....... why not?

Is it crazy or is that just the market price? (Mind you I agree both can be true.)

If Washington is a Big Ten team now, and particularly if they win the natty .... why shouldn't DeBoer demand to be paid the same as the top salaries in the league? How can that possibly not make sense??
Washington hired DeBoer from Fresno State where he went 3-3 in the Covid year and 9-3 in 2021, and of course he had that remarkable 67-3 record at Sioux Falls from 2005 - 2009. But that was so long ago, and in between he had multiple stops as an Offensive Coordinator peaking with his great Indiana offense in 2019 when they averaged 433 yards per game.

I think he was undervalued because his Sioux Falls days were 13 years prior and his Fresno State success was mostly with Jim Tedford’s players.

Washington made the decision to pay a head coach a little less and get the best assistants they could. Their assistant coaches were paid $7.4 million this year topped by OC Ryan Grubb’s $2 million. Compare that to Minnesota’s 2023 assistant’s pool of $5.5 million of which $700,000 was reportedly unspent.

I’m sure DeBoer has a national title bonus built in, and he’ll certainly get a raise regardless if he wins the title or not. He doesn’t seem to be the demanding type and he knows he’s been able to hire great assistants, so I don’t expect he’ll ask for $10 Million like Harbaugh.

He may not ask for it, but he's literally playing opposite him in the national title game. You can't do better.

And they'll literally be in the same league (unless of course Harbaugh leaves).

Maybe he'll just be a nice guy and ask for less than he deserves. Coaches do do that.

But he absolutely deserves to be paid the same as Harbaugh. No possible way he doesn't.

I don't think you disagree. Nor do I disagree you know far more about Washington that I do. Just sayin ...

I don’t think people realize that Washington has active, deep pocketed boosters. Whenever they needed upgraded facilities, a new football stadium, football complex, basically a new basketball arena, softball field, etc., the money is there. Coaching changes and salaries have never been a problem. And now they are more than competitive in NIL.

I expect them to do quite well in the B1G.
Thanks for weighing in WAGopher. It seems likely that Washington has several advantages over the Gophers and that is why they have done better as a program over time. They also lucked out that their current coach had a history with one of the best portal quarterbacks and he put them over the top this year. I agree with MaxyJR1 that Minnesota very likely is not in the title game even with DeBoer. Washington has demonstrated they are a level above us as a program in general. My goal for the Gophers would be to get to Washington's level and I think that's doable if everything falls right with the huge changes occurring and still likely to occur in college football. Of course, Washington is hoping that by joining the B1G the level up as well.

Top Bottom