Assistant Coaches

If that's the case, the process is broken. You don't hire BJ without the understanding that Thorson may be the choice for a top assistant. Or at very least, it should have been talked about as possible and cleared up already.
This is the U. Anything can happen. They paid out a handful of cash to Jimmy Williams over an issue like this.

So was this true or just PR?

Gophers look ready to invest more in Ben Johnson ' scoaching staff

Johnson is a first-time head coach at any level, and AD Mark Coyle has spoken of the need to increase the assistant coaching salary pool. By Marcus Fuller (https://www.startribune.com/marcus-fuller/6370596/) Star Tribune MARCH 23, 2021 — 10:45PM

The Gophers' hiring of former Xavier and Minnesota assistant Ben Johnson ensured they will pay less for their next men's basketball coach. But it doesn't necessarily mean they are going the cheap route.

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle said in a meeting over the weekend that Johnson was "very specific" about the types of coaches he was going to target to be assistants. "That caught our attention," Coyle said during Johnson's Tuesday introductory news conference.

Adding more experienced coaches to the staff is critical for a first-time head coach, so Johnson appreciated his new boss's "commitment to success." "He's put us in position to really kill it," Johnson said. "With the amount of calls even I've gotten from guys in the business who've had interest. I mean it would shock probably some of you. From blue bloods on down.

So now it's my job to figure out the right core, the right group." Johnson's five-year deal is for $1.95 million annually, which ranks last among 12 Big Ten teams whose coaching salaries were public last season. Penn State and Northwestern do not disclose theirs. Richard Pitino's salary was 10th in the Big Ten at $2.46 million for the final three years of his contract, but he was also due a $400,000 bonus April 30. The U saved money by firing Pitino when it did, and a large portion of his $1.75 million buyout is expected to be mitigated with his hiring as New Mexico coach last week.

Bummer about Nuness. I would guess he wanted to be top assistant/associate HC or stay in Waco so I can't really blame him for staying down there. One of those Baylor assistants is probably going to get a HC gig in the near future you would imagine so Jared should get promoted in that scenario. Then if you're deciding between being an assistant on a perennial contender or a program that's in for a long build...well....this stuff is fluid though, always the chance that he joins the program in some capacity in the future. But Baylor's going to remain a pain in the ass recruiting Minnesota unfortunately.

I thought Thorson would hold out to be Ben's AHC so if he's being brought on in a secondary assistant role as WF suggests, that's positive. Hoping for someone with some college HC experience as top assistant

This is PURE speculation but reading Doogies tweet, is it possible that Sam Mitchell could be Johnsons assistant/advisor ala Phil Martelli?

Already was an assistant to Hardaway at Memphis so the whole ego thing doesn't seem to be an issue.

Just a thought- NO knowledge whatsoever.
Starting to wonder if a bunch of you Gopherholers used to hang out with Sam Mitchell at the Vu.......

Starting to wonder if a bunch of you Gopherholers used to hang out with Sam Mitchell at the Vu.......
There is no infatuation here.

It may seem far fetched and I hate to put too much credence into Doogies tweet, but he seems to have his ear in on this and he says "You will definitely know one name".

Of everybody whose name was brought up during the search Sam's would be the most recognizable to the general public. Local BB people may know Thorsen. He says Nuness is out . Miles has picked up the San Jose State gig. Muss and Dutcher have name but thats not going to happen.

It could be a former Gopher (i.e. Tucker) but I'm not felling the senior coach/advisor vibe with any of them.

Which leaves Mitchell.

He expressed a hard interest getting back into coaching. NBA Coach of the Year. I don't know what his salary was at Memphis, but he was doing 500k for a G-league season.

If waiting for Nuness to finish the season is the holdup on a hiring, thats over now.

Wild ass Guessing...

It may seem far fetched and I hate to put too much credence into Doogies tweet, but he seems to have his ear in on this and he says "You will definitely know one name".

Of everybody whose name was brought up during the search Sam's would be the most recognizable to the general public. Local BB people may know Thorsen. He says Nuness is out . Miles has picked up the San Jose State gig. Muss and Dutcher have name but thats not going to happen.

It could be a former Gopher (i.e. Tucker) but I'm not felling the senior coach/advisor vibe with any of them.

Which leaves Mitchell.

He expressed a hard interest getting back into coaching. NBA Coach of the Year. I don't know what his salary was at Memphis, but he was doing 500k for a G-league season.

If waiting for Nuness to finish the season is the holdup on a hiring, thats over now.

Wild ass Guessing...
Yep I immediately thought of Mitchell over Thorson when I read that tweet. Other longshot darkhorses could be Bobby Jackson, Kevin McHale, Jim Peterson

So why haven't the names been announced? All these leaks and no announcement?

Yep I immediately thought of Mitchell over Thorson when I read that tweet. Other longshot darkhorses could be Bobby Jackson, Kevin McHale, Jim Peterson
They won't be allowed to hire Bobby Jackson. Kevin McHale a Gophers assistant? Lol. I don't know much about Jim Pete but that seems almost as far-fetched as McHale. Though perhaps so many years of watching the Wolves has prepared him for this.

Of everybody whose name was brought up during the search Sam's would be the most recognizable to the general public.

Wild ass Guessing...
Ryan Saunders?

Ryan Saunders?
Distinct possibility. Ryan and his wife are just starting a family, and if they want to be able to set their roots here and he wants to coach basketball again there really aren’t many high level options. It’s basically the U or the Wolves, and the Wolves door is going to be closed for a while.

Distinct possibility. Ryan and his wife are just starting a family, and if they want to be able to set their roots here and he wants to coach basketball again there really aren’t many high level options. It’s basically the U or the Wolves, and the Wolves door is going to be closed for a while.
Where do you get the idea he won’t have many high level options? In the Twin Cities? Of course, there are only two. However, if willing to move he’ll have plenty.

Let's go all in on ex-Wolves: Saunders, Mitchell and Sidney Lowe. Bill Blair as video coordinator. Kurt Rambis as ball boy.

Where do you get the idea he won’t have many high level options? In the Twin Cities? Of course, there are only two. However, if willing to move he’ll have plenty.

What are high level options ? How would he have many ?

What are high level options ? How would he have many ?
There would be NBA teams interested in him as an assistant, and if interested in P6 jobs he would be able to land an assistant job.

Top Bottom