Assistant Coaches

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Talked with national champ and Twin Cities native <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachJNuness?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CoachJNuness</a>. He said he had a solid conversation w/ new <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Gophers</a> coach Ben Johnson, but the timing isn&#39;t right for him to head home. Jared and Ben remain close. Ben should be officially announcing his staff pretty soon.</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="">April 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
NOOOOO!!!!

Hahaha. Of course. Like everything else in this hire.

Wait forever, then the obvious reason for waiting results in doing something completely different than what any regular person would have done.

It's not going to be anyone that any of us wanted or who makes reasonable sense to us.

Just expect that, going forward, with this regime.

Just because assistants haven't been announced, doesn't mean they haven't already been hired, or have an agreement in place. I highly doubt Johnson has been working alone over the last few weeks, and I don't think Conroy would be actively recruiting kids to a school he may not be employed by later this week.
How could an assistant that has been hired but not announced be actively calling recruits without it leaking out?

I lose more confidence by the day. And I didn't have much to begin with. It is feeling more absurd by the day that we have been sucked into believing there was a solid plan that was being implemented behind the scenes. Taking this long to name assistants suggests a lot of good conversations but bad timing. Not good.

Hope it's Thorson. But I see no reason to expect anything that regular people think is reasonable, to happen.

Top assistant: not sure
Assistant 2: Dave Thorson
Assistant 3: Jason Kemp
Knowledge or guess? If Dave were coming, wouldn't we have known last weekend?

Not sure who Jason Kemp is. Elaborate if you can for the rest of us. Thanks.

One of the issues could be U compliance giving Thorson a hard look due to issues in the 90s.

Not a guess but something could've changed of course. Would be absolutely stunned if Thorson wasnt part of the staff though.

From Madison, played at Eau Claire, started coaching as a GA for NDSU.

Not a guess but something could've changed of course. Would be absolutely stunned if Thorson wasnt part of the staff though.
Can Thorson recruit? Well documented that he is a great teacher of the game, especially defense, but what about the other stuff?

Can Thorson recruit? Well documented that he is a great teacher of the game, especially defense, but what about the other stuff?
If they went to DeLaSalle or Breck, we're well covered.

If Thorson is on staff, I feel pretty good. As I've state before, I'm concerned about recruiting.

But he will be a GREAT asset for getting this team ready to play every game, especially on defense.

If this comes to fruition, great job by Ben in pulling Thorson from Niko

I hope Roddy comes with him. Wouldn't be any worse than the first three transfers.

We will need him, too.

One of the issues could be U compliance giving Thorson a hard look due to issues in the 90s.
If that's the case, the process is broken. You don't hire BJ without the understanding that Thorson may be the choice for a top assistant. Or at very least, it should have been talked about as possible and cleared up already.

Top Bottom