Assistant Coaches

for anyone else that's bored.

just saw RP hired 3 new staff members. 2 assistants and the video coordinator.

Isaac Chew - recently at GCU. Credited with helping develop 3 NBA draft picks in early 2010s. Was part of an Elite 8 and Sweet 16 staff.

Andy Hill - recently at Utah. Credited with helping to develop 3 NBA first round picks in 2015,2016 and 2017.

Robert Edwards - video guy.
Lil Richard's Press Conference announcing the new hires -- jump to the 8:30 point to see the start. Definitely a non-elite setup and production, but Lil Richard does pretty well once it gets rolling.

The entire Ryan article was written in a way to put Coyle on his back foot in regards to race and hiring.
You really think that Coyle is such a limp-noodle that he's going to take what the Strib has to say and start shaking in his boots...? I haven't ever gotten that vibe from him... in fact, I've gotten the exact opposite view. Coyle seems decisive and wants to do things "his" way... He makes his own hires, and seems to be willing to own them, for good or bad.

All the talk about it being a "diversity hire" is just silliness... but not nearly as silly as the "Gabel made him hire a POC." Coyle was going to pick the coach he wanted, no matter what. The fact that he interviewed Ben and almost immediately hired him, calling off the interviews that he'd had scheduled with others who were supposedly far more qualified (and that a bunch in here were salivating over.)

If what the Strip printed had any sway, we would be discussing Sam Mitchell's assistants right now.

Isaac Chew - recently at GCU. Credited with helping develop 3 NBA draft picks in early 2010s. Was part of an Elite 8 and Sweet 16 staff.

Andy Hill - recently at Utah. Credited with helping to develop 3 NBA first round picks in 2015,2016 and 2017.

I really don't think very many people on this board care about what Richard Pitino is doing. I'm just glad the last 8 years are finally over.

You really think that Coyle is such a limp-noodle that he's going to take what the Strib has to say and start shaking in his boots...? I haven't ever gotten that vibe from him... in fact, I've gotten the exact opposite view. Coyle seems decisive and wants to do things "his" way... He makes his own hires, and seems to be willing to own them, for good or bad.

All the talk about it being a "diversity hire" is just silliness... but not nearly as silly as the "Gabel made him hire a POC." Coyle was going to pick the coach he wanted, no matter what. The fact that he interviewed Ben and almost immediately hired him, calling off the interviews that he'd had scheduled with others who were supposedly far more qualified (and that a bunch in here were salivating over.)

If what the Strip printed had any sway, we would be discussing Sam Mitchell's assistants right now.
I'm fully supporting BJ now, but I disagree. This was 100% about hiring a minority coach.

We might have very little facts to support how the BJ era is starting, but objectively there is nothing that made BJ a lead B1G coaching candidate. The week he was hired i kept asking if he was even a candidate for any, ANY, other HC job out there. Response I got from here plus any google search pulled up 0, nothing, zero.

Then people went with the Juwan Howard comparison. BJ was and never will be Juwan Howard. From a player accomplishment perspective its like comparing BJ to Juwan Howard. One was an All American, one was an all star in the NBA. The other was not.

Is there something wrong with hiring BJ because he's black and an alum, who knows, I'm not the morality judge.

But to say anything close to him being the best candidate for the job is just silliness.

We don't live in a world of unicorns and rainbows, so deal with reality.

I back BJ now 100%, I want him to takes us to places we haven't been since Clem, but yes, he was not the best candidate out of the people we all read were potential HC candidates here. So drink, eat good pizza and lets see what this man does.

Is McHale staying in?

You only stop the interview process and make an immediate hire if you fear the candidate will take another job in the meantime. That was hardly the case here. They knew they were hiring him before his in person interview IMO.

I'm fully supporting BJ now, but I disagree. This was 100% about hiring a minority coach.
Just give it a rest and stop being so myopic.

There are numerous reasons for making a hire. Just because you do not agree with the hire doesn’t mean that Coyle slipped on the blinders and only used the axe you want to grind. You are just being foolish and showing some parts of your character that you need to address.

Is McHale staying in?
Wondered the same thing. Found an article that didn't answer the question, but said McHale and one other assistant from the last staff are still under contract through the end of the month and that the other coach was expected to move on to Utah. From that, I assume that McHale is at least under consideration for the third spot, but I suppose it just as easily be Pitino giving him time to try to find another job before announcing he won't be back.

Just give it a rest and stop being so myopic.

There are numerous reasons for making a hire. Just because you do not agree with the hire doesn’t mean that Coyle slipped on the blinders and only used the axe you want to grind. You are just being foolish and showing some parts of your character that you need to address.

You must be the type that believes people should get jobs they are not qualified for then. Because yes, you are correct, that is part of my character.

I hate people like that.

You must be the type that believes people should get jobs they are not qualified for then. Because yes, you are correct, that is part of my character.

I hate people like that.
So what qualifications and knowledge do you have that makes you think our coach is not qualified for his job? He may not be the most qualified by your opinion, but our AD felt he was the best fit at this time.

So what qualifications and knowledge do you have that makes you think our coach is not qualified for his job? He may not be the most qualified by your opinion, but our AD felt he was the best fit at this time.
Lazy people like yourself dont like doing research apparently. I'm gonna start a new thread to answer your uninformed question and then I'll be done explaining why he was not ready to lead a B1G program as head coach, even though I do support him now and hope he does well. You don't have to like the people you work with, you still have to work with them mentality.

Long time lurker, first message. There is all this name calling and quibbling going on. None of which has any basis in fact. The only fact at this point is that Ben Johnson is the basketball coach of the Minnesota Gophers. Let us all get together and support him, his assistants, and the student-athletes who will will make up this year's team without a negative note.
Then during half-time of the first game, we will have enough information that we will know whether we should start a "fire Ben" thread or to get Coyle to give him a raise and extension .

@alchemy2u

Well-known member​

JoinedNov 13, 2009Messages4,664Reaction score946Points113
SanDiegoGopherFan said:

I hate people like that.

FOR THOSE WHO KEEP ASKING WHY I DONT THINK HE WAS READY

In terms of the coaching hierarchy, associate coaches are one step above a normal assistant coach and one step below a head coach.

Tom Izzo – All-American college player

High school coach 1 year

73-83 assistant coach NMU

83 par time assistant MSU

86 assistant Tulsa

86 assistant MSU

90 – 95 associate head coach MSU (grooming period)

95 head coach

Juwan Howard

College All American

Nearly 19 year NBA career with some all star years including winning a couple NBA championships

1 year assistant coach in the NBA (NBA champions)

yes, no formal coaching experience or associate coach experience but come on, you can't say BJ carries the same resume that Juwan does. I'd take a Juwan type for our gophers if we had such a player alumni.

Greg Gard (came with Bo from UW Platteville and was groomed for years to be a head coach)
1990–1993Southwestern HS (assistant)
1993–1994Platteville HS (assistant)
1993–1999Wisconsin–Platteville (assistant)
1999–2001Milwaukee (assistant)
2001–2008Wisconsin (assistant)
2008–2015Wisconsin (associate HC)
2015–presentWisconsin

Matt Painter

Assistant coach from 93-2003

Head Coach from 2003-2004 at Southern Illinois

Associate Head Coach (grooming period but already coached 1 year) from 2004-2005

2005 Purdue head coach

Chris Collins

Played at Duke and was All ACC rookie team and 2nd team All Acc (blue blood program)

Duke Assistant from 2000-2007

Duke Associate Head Coach 2008-2013 (Grooming Period at a blue blood)

Northwester head coach 2013

Micah Shrewsberry

1999-2003 assistant

2005-2007 head coach IU South Bend

08-11 butler assistant

11-13 purdue assistant

13-18 NBA assistant Celtics

19-21 Purdue assistant

21 Penn state head coach

Ben Johnson

2006-2021 assistant head coach. No blue bloods, no nba, no “associate head coach” (grooming position) just an assistant.

Ben Johnson

2006-2021 assistant head coach. No blue bloods, no nba, no “associate head coach” (grooming position) just an assistant.
Just your summary of Ben's resumes shows bias.

I will expand by inserting some of Ben's note from Xavier:

Ben Johnson, 39, joined the Xavier Basketball staff in 2018 after spending the previous five seasons from 2013-18 as an assistant at his alma mater, Minnesota. He has been a big part of helping Travis Steele secure multiple nationally-ranked recruiting classes.

“Ben is an outstanding coach and recruiter that will be a very successful head coach one day,” said head coach Travis Steele. “Ben is ‘Steady Eddy,’ he just is. He is the same guy every day. He is highly intelligent, very well thought out. He’s very good at everything. He is great on the floor, he’s great in skill development, he’s got a great offensive mind and he’s got great relationships with our players. He is a really good evaluator and recruiter. Everything he does he is very thorough and has helped us to mine the state of Alabama to get Colby Jones and New Jersey to get Zach Freemantle just to name a few. He’s got a great eye for talent and he’s very thorough, very diligent with his process. He is another guy I think is going to be a head coach sooner rather than later. He is terrific and we are fortunate to have him.”

“Ben will play a key role once again in developing our perimeter players. Ben is very intelligent. He is a very good teacher, takes a lot of pride in it and how he communicates his messages to our players. Ben is always studying the game. I don’t have to tell him to do that. He just does it. It’s his passion.”
---
As I suspected, you do not know jack sh!t about Ben's basketball knowledge or how he is regarded by recruits or coaches. Job history is not the only thing that makes a person qualified for a job. There are literally hundreds of assistant coaches in any sport that have may have longer resumes, but that does not mean they are more qualified for a head coaching job.

Job history is not the only thing that makes a person qualified for a job. There are literally hundreds of assistant coaches in any sport that have may have longer resumes, but that does not mean they are more qualified for a head coaching job.
Silly generalizing, because we're not just talking about any old head coach opening. This was a Big Ten opening, the very top of the college basketball ladder.

At best, your argument justifies it for a low-major or maybe mid-major hiring.

Silly generalizing, because we're not just talking about any old head coach opening. This was a Big Ten opening, the very top of the college basketball ladder.

At best, your argument justifies it for a low-major or maybe mid-major hiring.
The almost concluded NCAA tourney and the 20 some year title drought beg to differ on the BIG being the very top.

The almost concluded NCAA tourney and the 20 some year title drought beg to differ on the BIG being the very top.
Stop it. The B1G is the BEST BASKETBALL CONFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!1! BETTER THAN THE NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE!

Don't believe it? Just ask the B1G.

@alchemy2u

Well-known member​

JoinedNov 13, 2009Messages4,664Reaction score946Points113

FOR THOSE WHO KEEP ASKING WHY I DONT THINK HE WAS READY

In terms of the coaching hierarchy, associate coaches are one step above a normal assistant coach and one step below a head coach.

Tom Izzo – All-American college player

High school coach 1 year

73-83 assistant coach NMU

83 par time assistant MSU

86 assistant Tulsa

86 assistant MSU

90 – 95 associate head coach MSU (grooming period)

95 head coach

Juwan Howard

College All American

Nearly 19 year NBA career with some all star years including winning a couple NBA championships

1 year assistant coach in the NBA (NBA champions)

yes, no formal coaching experience or associate coach experience but come on, you can't say BJ carries the same resume that Juwan does. I'd take a Juwan type for our gophers if we had such a player alumni.

Greg Gard (came with Bo from UW Platteville and was groomed for years to be a head coach)
1990–1993Southwestern HS (assistant)
1993–1994Platteville HS (assistant)
1993–1999Wisconsin–Platteville (assistant)
1999–2001Milwaukee (assistant)
2001–2008Wisconsin (assistant)
2008–2015Wisconsin (associate HC)
2015–presentWisconsin

Matt Painter

Assistant coach from 93-2003

Head Coach from 2003-2004 at Southern Illinois

Associate Head Coach (grooming period but already coached 1 year) from 2004-2005

2005 Purdue head coach

Chris Collins

Played at Duke and was All ACC rookie team and 2nd team All Acc (blue blood program)

Duke Assistant from 2000-2007

Duke Associate Head Coach 2008-2013 (Grooming Period at a blue blood)

Northwester head coach 2013

Micah Shrewsberry

1999-2003 assistant

2005-2007 head coach IU South Bend

08-11 butler assistant

11-13 purdue assistant

13-18 NBA assistant Celtics

19-21 Purdue assistant

21 Penn state head coach

Ben Johnson

You do get that using Juwan Howard in your post totally undercuts the point you were trying to make right?

Also, there is no direct connection between being a great player and being a great coach.

You may end up being correct that Johnson was a bad hire but your reasoning provided doesn't really make sense. The fact that you are willing to totally discount his 15 years of coaching experience because he didn't have a particular title or wasn't a great player makes no sense.

Has to be Nunness at this point and if it's not I'll be surprised. I look forward to Race committing tonight and Nunness as associate head coach tomorrow. I hope Suggs goes off for 30 and Baylor wins

totally discount his 15 years of coaching experience because he didn't have a particular title
Nope. You don't get to dismiss this like it's nothing.

It's not everything, but it's the single most important factor in choosing a new head coach.

Conroy and Livingston only two listed on website with Johnson
and Livingston tweeted after the commitments the other day. Seems like signs are pointing that he will remain on staff.....or at least he is trying to promote himself that he wants to stay here!

lets hope for a bunch of good news here in the next 24 hours!!

Nope. You don't get to dismiss this like it's nothing.

It's not everything, but it's the single most important factor in choosing a new head coach.
Not sure I am following you. Are you saying that having the Associate Head Coach title is the single most important factor or were you going for something else with your comment?

Are you saying that having the Associate Head Coach title is the single most important factor
My apologies, I made a wrong assumption about your post, from not reading the post you were replying to.

My point (tangential to your post, I see now), is that only actual head coaching experience is relevant when a high-major school is making a head coaching hire.

Top Bottom