Assistant Coaches

What is Nunes expertise beyond recruiting?
Offense, defense, teaching shooting?

No idea. The Pulley/CDH connection seems strong though as they have some coaches who work for both.
Seems like how the major privates do it? Minnehaha, Totino ... just hire some club coach/director and make sure he brings all his stars to the school.

School Ties with Brendan Fraser.

Solid relationship and was the main contact on previous staff.
Honestly it's pretty wise to keep someone from the previous staff on to keep contact with recruits they were working on. I would expect Johnson to keep him on staff for this purpose.

honest question....but why? is there some sort of connection or is he just an up and comer?
Yes, Johnson was asst at UNI when Ali played ... both worked for Miles ( though at different time periods)... Ben and Ali both publicly state Ben Jacobson
a coaching mentor today...

Will there be an official thread to announce any actual hires, or do I have to keep revisiting this thread in the hopes there is some official movement?
Yeah, it'll be one of those threads on Gopherhole where the mods only allow official annoucements and news.

You know, one of those threads that has never happened.

Checkout this clip and note Thorson in the video amping up the guys!!

For Coyle to end the search so abruptly and hire Ben, he had to have been throwing around some notable names for potential assistants and with how he spoke about the emphasis on recruiting (specifically in state) at Johnson’s intro presser, this would make a lot of sense. One thing I’ve been concerned about in Holloman’s recruitment is Baylor because of Nuness so getting him on board would really go a long way but still some selling to do I’m sure. Sounds like Nuness has also played a key role in getting an early commitment out of top 50 national recruit Dillion Hunter from Michigan so his recruiting prowess can’t be understated.

sidebar: I didn’t realize Nuness wasn’t actually one of three assistants on Drew’s staff. He’s still in that player dev/special asst role, I must have got him and Ostorm confused who was associate HC at Indiana. So this would be a promotion which should help in selling him on coming home.

I assume the NCAA limits how many coaches can recruit (off-campus). Is Nuness someone who does that for Baylor or is it just the HC and 3 assistants?

That’s not true. He was on staff. That’s not why he left
Wasn’t the only reason, but it was common knowledge that the Gophers were dirty and Thorson wasn’t shy to say so in 1994.

I hated hearing Clem or the Gophs were dirty, but I did.

Last edited:

Seems like how the major privates do it? Minnehaha, Totino ... just hire some club coach/director and make sure he brings all his stars to the school.

School Ties with Brendan Fraser.
There must be endless jobs at those schools as they (Totino, De La Salle, Cretin, Benilde) have all been among the best since 1972 when they were allowed to start dominating the public schools in state tournaments.

Of course, they also dominated them before that, but hey no reason to get greedy.....

Coincidentally, how all those La Sallian schools could ever all be great, while all the public schools suck is odd isn’t it? Must not be something they do correctly?

For Coyle to end the search so abruptly and hire Ben, he had to have been throwing around some notable names for potential assistants and with how he spoke about the emphasis on recruiting (specifically in state) at Johnson’s intro presser, this would make a lot of sense. One thing I’ve been concerned about in Holloman’s recruitment is Baylor because of Nuness so getting him on board would really go a long way but still some selling to do I’m sure. Sounds like Nuness has also played a key role in getting an early commitment out of top 50 national recruit Dillion Hunter from Michigan so his recruiting prowess can’t be understated.

sidebar: I didn’t realize Nuness wasn’t actually one of three assistants on Drew’s staff. He’s still in that player dev/special asst role, I must have got him and Ostorm confused who was associate HC at Indiana. So this would be a promotion which should help in selling him on coming home.
Title aside you don't stay at Baylor for 11 years if your not getting paid. Coyle better pony up.

Forgive me as I don’t want to read through the entire thread. Have we announced any assistants yet??

I feel it would probably be hard for new transfers/recruits, current players to commit full heartedly to this program without knowing the makeup of the staff.

hopefully Baylor & CSU lose this weekend to free up a couple canidtates....i would expect/hope for some assistant announcements here in the next week or so

we clearly have a lot of roster spots to fill so the sooner we get our coaching staff together the sooner we can start finalizing our targets and get some guys on board!

Same point I was making.
In all seriousness ... your kid in youth sports is showing major talent/potential, and so-and-so booster of _____ private school comes up to you and says "how would you like for your kid to win a couple state championships and play in college, at no out of pocket cost (scholarship) to attend our program?"

You're probably going to listen.

Correct move: MSHSL needs to ban private schools for their state championships, or make separate championships for privates. That's just that.

hopefully Baylor & CSU lose this weekend to free up a couple canidtates....i would expect/hope for some assistant announcements here in the next week or so

we clearly have a lot of roster spots to fill so the sooner we get our coaching staff together the sooner we can start finalizing our targets and get some guys on board!
Colorado St. is in the NIT finals tdoay. Win or lose they're done.

Forgive me as I don’t want to read through the entire thread. Have we announced any assistants yet??

I feel it would probably be hard for new transfers/recruits, current players to commit full heartedly to this program without knowing the makeup of the staff.
No. I assume they will want to announce them all at once.

Top Bottom