Assistant Coaches

Thorson would be a good hire. And if Nuness can recruit and is the 3rd assistant, what's the issue? You just said you wanted people from winning programs, right?

I would prefer the lead assistant be someone who's been a D1 head coach. Conroy qualifies but he's not exactly Phil Martelli though.

Nuness has been on $cott Drew's staff for a long time.

Minnesota is trying to remain as squeaky clean as possible. Thorson's been on a Minnesota staff that's vacated victories, Nuness has been on a staff that many people think cheat.

I'll be very surprised if either end up here.

Minnesota is trying to remain as squeaky clean as possible. Thorson's been on a Minnesota staff that's vacated victories, Nuness has been on a staff that many people think cheat.

I buy the concern more with Nuness than Thorson. But honestly, the NCAA is such a joke now that bending over backwards for guilt by association appearances is dumb. Unless there's evidence that either did something wrong, hire who you want.

Thinking that Thorson is going to be hired back after he was on Clem's staff that cheated is a pretty dumb take.

He was a good high school coach, and has been an assistant on mediocre college teams since....
Dave was not a good high school coach, he was incredible. Have spent dozens of hours watching his practices and more simply talking basketball. There are few i respect more about how to teach and what to teach basketball players. He made players accountable to be their best selves and there were consequences when not met.

prepare to be surprised then

Dave was not a good high school coach, he was incredible. Have spent dozens of hours watching his practices and more simply talking basketball. There are few i respect more about how to teach and what to teach basketball players. He made players accountable to be their best selves and there were consequences when not met.

I read his bio today as I was reading this thread.

He won nine state championships which is a MN HS record for boys or girls coaches. Plus, he's a Piper - Go Hamline!

I buy the concern more with Nuness than Thorson. But honestly, the NCAA is such a joke now that bending over backwards for guilt by association appearances is dumb. Unless there's evidence that either did something wrong, hire who you want.

That really hasn't been the Minnesota way

And yet he hasn't made an NCAA tournament appearance that counts as an assistant, and Colorado St. was blown out in the NIT today.

Some great high school coaches make the transition to college and some don't.

And yet he hasn't made an NCAA tournament appearance that counts as an assistant, and Colorado St. was blown out in the NIT today.

Who do you want?

Who do you want?

Coaches who have been a part of winning teams, big or small.

There is no reason that the Gophers can't go to the NCAA tournament every year. I wanted a head coach that knows how to accomplish that, but since that's no longer an option, I want assistants that know how to accomplish that.

There is no reason that the Gophers can't go to the NCAA tournament every year. I wanted a head coach that knows how to accomplish that, but since that's no longer an option, I want assistants that know how to accomplish that.
Easy to say harder to find. Thorson won like 9 state titles and you don't want him. Any examples?

Easy to say harder to find. Thorson won like 9 state titles and you don't want him. Any examples?

I'm not sure who'd actually work for one of the most inexperienced hires in Big Ten history. But here's 3 names.

Roger Powell
Drew Valentine
Paul Lusk

I'm not sure who'd actually work for one of the most inexperienced hires in Big Ten history. But here's 3 names.

Roger Powell
Drew Valentine
Paul Lusk
Do you think we are going to get Valentine to come when he might have a job at Indiana waiting? Or the other two to leave Gonzaga/Creighton?

Coach Mo is at Oklahoma. I'd gladly take him back.

Do you think we are going to get Valentine to come when he might have a job at Indiana waiting? Or the other two to leave Gonzaga/Creighton?
All Midwest guys, and the B1G is a better conference than they’re coaching in today.

In all seriousness ... your kid in youth sports is showing major talent/potential, and so-and-so booster of _____ private school comes up to you and says "how would you like for your kid to win a couple state championships and play in college, at no out of pocket cost (scholarship) to attend our program?"

You're probably going to listen.

Correct move: MSHSL needs to ban private schools for their state championships, or make separate championships for privates. That's just that.

Your problem with private schools isn't just about sports. That is pretty clear.

Give it a rest. You are just grasping at straws to support your uninformed conclusions.

Public is public, no scholarships and cherry picking. If kids/families choose to go to a district, open enrollment is the law in this state. Much more even playing field than privates.

I take it you don't watch much public school sports if you feel there is no cherry picking. And "scholarships" is what unathletic clowns shout every time they got schooled by a private school kid, but yet these scholarships are hard to find. They just sound good when you can't make a jump shot or catch a ball.

How did Utah State do in the NCAA tournament?

P

Man half of Hopkins team come from Minneapolis
I played at Minnehaha almost 20 years ago. We lost to that Hopkins team with Kris Humphries, Dan Coleman, Darren Clarke, and Mitch Henke.

And the following year Jadee Jones (Tyus/Tre’s brother) transferred from De La Salle for his senior year.

So yeah definitely some recruiting going on there. Weird to look back and now my alma mater has become Hopkins.

Andy Katz just dismissed what Kelvin Sampson did at IU and Oklahoma as "some phone call stuff that today would mean nothing."

And we're supposed to pass on Thorson over unproven guilt by association over something that happened 25 years ago? Lol.

Roger Powell
Drew Valentine
Paul Lusk
I think Ben Johnson is 3rd in most years coaching, when hired as Gophers Head Coach in their history (not counting interim and HS).

Also out of the 14 Big Ten Teams he is 8th when hired of current or last coach employed where applicable.

Not sure about all Big Ten history though, but I'd bet that ranks on the more experienced end.

You should change your name to Fairweatherfan.

Andy Katz just dismissed what Kelvin Sampson did at IU and Oklahoma as "some phone call stuff that today would mean nothing."

And we're supposed to pass on Thorson over unproven guilt by association over something that happened 25 years ago? Lol.

Then why doesn't a big school hire Sampson back?

Top Bottom