Assistant Coaches

In all seriousness ... your kid in youth sports is showing major talent/potential, and so-and-so booster of _____ private school comes up to you and says "how would you like for your kid to win a couple state championships and play in college, at no out of pocket cost (scholarship) to attend our program?"

You're probably going to listen.

Correct move: MSHSL needs to ban private schools for their state championships, or make separate championships for privates. That's just that.
And when public schools pull kids from out of their district and load up on talent should they be banned too? Your bigotry is on fine display.

Colorado State eliminated. Wonder if we’ll hear an announcement this next week.
For some stupid reason the NIT has a consolation game. So they still have one game to play.

Just an assumption. Often done that way with a whole new staff.
Way it was often done in the past. Now with the portal and spring recruiting once you have someone you announce so they can start talking with recruits, high school and transfer. So much more movement in the spring than in the past.

Way it was often done in the past. Now with the portal and spring recruiting once you have someone you announce so they can start talking with recruits, high school and transfer. So much more movement in the spring than in the past.
I'd expect it to be finalized in the next 10-14 days either way. If Conroy is staying, they should just announce that now though. Agreed.

And when public schools pull kids from out of their district and load up on talent should they be banned too?
Public is public, no scholarships and cherry picking. If kids/families choose to go to a district, open enrollment is the law in this state. Much more even playing field than privates.

Public is public, no scholarships and cherry picking. If kids/families choose to go to a district, open enrollment is the law in this state. Much more even playing field than privates.
So if we pay for someone’s school it OK behavior, but if someone pays themselves the. It’s not OK? Curious argument, please explain. Why the hate?

So if we pay for someone’s school it OK behavior, but if someone pays themselves the. It’s not OK? Curious argument, please explain. Why the hate?
Why not just defund them all, and make them all private? Problem solved.

I'm thinking Conroy has been told behind the scenes he'll be one of the assistant coaches. Now with Colorado State losing, we're probably just waiting on Baylor to lose then we'll announce all staff at once
Yeah I’m surprised he hasn’t been announced. The only reason I think he hasn’t is it sounds like he might be up for some low major HC jobs

I'm thinking Conroy has been told behind the scenes he'll be one of the assistant coaches. Now with Colorado State losing, we're probably just waiting on Baylor to lose then we'll announce all staff at once
Unless Baylor has a better second half, they may be done today as well.

The provinciality in this thread amazes me. All coaches must have MN ties it appears, and I really hope that's not the case.

Imagine if Rutgers, Penn St, or Nebraska only hired coaches tied to their losing programs? Minnesota is pretty much on par with those programs. Keep hiring assistants from losing programs, then expecting to win big? It sounds insane.

I really hope Johnson is more creative and brings in better names than what's being mentioned in this thread.

The provinciality in this thread amazes me. All coaches must have MN ties it appears, and I really hope that's not the case.

Imagine if Rutgers, Penn St, or Nebraska only hired coaches tied to their losing programs? Minnesota is pretty much on par with those programs. Keep hiring assistants from losing programs, then expecting to win big? It sounds insane.

I really hope Johnson is more creative and brings in better names than what's being mentioned in this thread.
It’s who we know. I’m open to anyone Ben thinks can help implement a winning culture and system. If we knew what that was it would be easier to speculate. My observation is that our last three coaches struggled to put cohesive and quality staffs together. Ben needs to be better than the others. No matter where they come from.

Do we really need to wait until Baylor is done for someone that isn't an assistant?. Someone here said he is just head of player development or something and not an actual assistant there. I would think that if that's the case there would be no reason to wait.

Do we really need to wait until Baylor is done for someone that isn't an assistant?. Someone here said he is just head of player development or something and not an actual assistant there. I would think that if that's the case there would be no reason to wait.
He's recruited so well that they think more highly of him then the other assistants

What's wrong with Thorson and Nunnes?

How many NCAA tournament games has Thorson coached in?

Nuness hasn't even been an assistant at the college level.
So we can only hire coaches who have been assistants in the NCAA's now?

Thorson coached in a few with the Gophers in the 90s.

Exactly my point. Collect a bunch of coaches who have never accomplished anything, and expect them to accomplish big things. Not exactly a recipe for success.
Yeah Dave Thorson wildly known for not accomplishing anything. This might be the dumbest take on GH I've ever seen.

Yeah Dave Thorson wildly known for not accomplishing anything. This might be the dumbest take on GH I've ever seen.

Thinking that Thorson is going to be hired back after he was on Clem's staff that cheated is a pretty dumb take.

He was a good high school coach, and has been an assistant on mediocre college teams since....

Thinking that Thorson is going to be hired back after he was on Clem's staff that cheated is a pretty dumb take.

He was a good high school coach, and has been an assistant on mediocre college teams since....
He left 4-5 years before the scandals hit. He's probably the best high school coach in MN history. Keep swinging and missing though.

He left 4-5 years before the scandals hit. He's probably the best high school coach in MN history. Keep swinging and missing though.

They vacated the NCAA tournament the last season he was an assistant, try again.

How many NCAA tournament games has Thorson coached in?

Nuness hasn't even been an assistant at the college level.
Thorson would be a good hire. And if Nuness can recruit and is the 3rd assistant, what's the issue? You just said you wanted people from winning programs, right?

I would prefer the lead assistant be someone who's been a D1 head coach. Conroy qualifies but he's not exactly Phil Martelli though.

Top Bottom