Assistant Coaches

You have to go to the active webpage and look under coaching staff. Saul did not stick around after his dad got fired in 2018. You found an old page on a Google search.
I figured Saul did such a bang-up job they kept him on :)

I just hope that whoever Johnson hires that the pissing moaning doesn't continue. Johnson knows what he needs, what type of person he wants to work with etc. Many of us are positive about Johnson. If you're that upset about him. Put your head in a pile of manure and take a break for a while.
For some folks, this coach is wrapped in bubble wrap, jesus.

There are countless threads that are bashing the hiring, I'm all over those. That said, there are threads where people are just asking about assistant coaches or recruiting and some folks are rushing to protect Ben Johnson.

He doesn't need this much protection. Almost all of us here with support him and we'd all LOVE to eat crow with the hiring. We should be able to talk basketball and question things without some of you having the need to protect Ben Johnson. At least his naysayers are treating him like a Big 10 coach and not a child.

For some folks, this coach is wrapped in bubble wrap, jesus.

There are countless threads that are bashing the hiring, I'm all over those. That said, there are threads where people are just asking about assistant coaches or recruiting and some folks are rushing to protect Ben Johnson.

He doesn't need this much protection. Almost all of us here with support him and we'd all LOVE to eat crow with the hiring. We should be able to talk basketball and question things without some of you having the need to protect Ben Johnson. At least his naysayers are treating him like a Big 10 coach and not a child.

It's not about "protection". It's just making the board unreadable when it's the same few people saying different variations of the same sh*t.

It's not about "protection". It's just making the board unreadable when it's the same few people saying different variations of the same sh*t.
It is about protection. I may have missed a post or two, but for the most part this thread is filled with people genuinely talking about assistant coaches. If this particular thread is unreadable, then you're seeing ghosts.

If this thread had devolved into nothing but a Ben Johnson b!tch session, you'd have a point. It didn't.

Also, yeah, message boards are kind of like that, especially in the offseason. There aren't a ton of topics.

Fact or speculation on redshirt? The two things I heard were that he had an offer and waited and Washington claimed it and there were potential admission challenges.
The source was Doogie and he said it a few times, so who knows lol. The academic stuff was more in the fall I believe.

So who are the actual rumored candidates? Do we have any at this point? Conroy staying?

If Thorson turns out to be coming here, I'm sure they would wait to announce until Colorado State is eliminated from the NIT ( they are currently trailing at half-time).
Have to wait...they pulled it out.

Why? And pay him whatever it takes for player development? You people need to get over your one of us obsession
Because we need some with a national recruiting presence and Nuness fit the bill. There is a reason why 5 star talent is landing in Waco and Nuness is a huge part of that.

Because we need some with a national recruiting presence and Nuness fit the bill. There is a reason why 5 star talent is landing in Waco and Nuness is a huge part of that.
I think the Freddie Gillespie ‘get’ for Baylor was really big, as it was a guy that was completely under the radar as in unnoticeable and easy to root for. When Baylior got him and he delivered in a big way, that really got Scott Drew going. That’s really an early sign of what was to come with emergence of xfer portal, and not just becaiuse he was a MN kid. A great story of a D2/D3 kid who made his presence felt at D1 level.

Why? And pay him whatever it takes for player development? You people need to get over your one of us obsession

How do you think Dain Dainja and Kendall Brown end up at Baylor? Who's the lead recruiter for Trejuan Holloman for Baylor? I'm not convinced we can offer Nuness more than they can or if he'd have interest but if he does, he should be one of the first calls. Can't turn away elite recruiters, we see how easy Orlando Antigua has made Brad Underwood's life.

Last edited:

How do you think Dain Dainja and Kendall Brown end up at Baylor? Who's the lead recruiter for Trejuan Holloman for Baylor? I'm not convinced we can outbid them for Nuness or if he'd have interest but if he does, he should be one of the first calls. Can't turn away elite recruiters, we see how easy Orlando Antigua has made Brad Underwood's life.
This. Elite recruiters are evident especially when you look at the cuurent state of the program. How can Nebraska get a top player or two signed? Hoiberg knows he has a closer (if not Hoiberg himself) in Matt A. I do think Ben Johnson is good. Let’s see what he can do as the guy in charge.

Last edited:

I stand corrected, bring on Nuness! Didn't realize his recruiting presence at Baylor.

Unless Ben is hiring his wedding party that seems unlikely. One at a time. I’m not even sure how many it will be. Three? Four? Strength coach included?
Well it'll be Dave Holmgren, Larry Suggs, then at least 3 real coaches

I stand corrected, bring on Nuness! Didn't realize his recruiting presence at Baylor.
Freddie Gillespie, Dain Dainja, and Kendall Brown. I think Kendall Brown is going to be super good and play himself into a top 5 pick like Suggs did

If this were 6 months ago you would be Alchemy2u and it would be posters talking about firing Pitino, this will never end, the only thing that changes is the head coach!
Hey....

The reason why the same "disappointment" narrative keeps getting brought up is because people keep questioning why people are negative about the hire, or that the Boomers are idiots, or that people are hating on Ben Johnson, etc... It is very simple. The hire didn't meet some peoples expectations and that will not really change until we have results.

Looks like champions are crowned with the head coaches being the best recruiters and evaluators. Assistant can and do play huge roles but your not getting your guy without the head coach. Did anyone think about the life Nuness has in Waco ? What they will pay ?

Looks like champions are crowned with the head coaches being the best recruiters and evaluators. Assistant can and do play huge roles but your not getting your guy without the head coach. Did anyone think about the life Nuness has in Waco ? What they will pay ?
A head coach with no experience as a head coach will necessarily rely heavily on assistants in both recruiting and coaching. Bens decisions on staff will be the most critical decisions he makes in his first three years. Far more critical than players I think.

Richard made a bundle of mistakes out of the gate including failing to get an experienced head coach with him. Ben was a really good decision though as an assistant.

Staff decisions have the potential to win over skeptical fan base. Me included.

Top Bottom