Assistant Coaches

Ben needs to hire his own Phil Martelli like Juwan Howard did. That’s why I was hoping his salary was closer to 1.2 million to give him the ability to pay extremely well to get that or RN head coach as an assistant.
Someone sell Tim Miles on being a younger, better-looking Phil Martelli. I think that will do the trick!

Welp, according to a wide survey of coaches undertaken by Jeff Goodman, Tom Ostrom was voted by his peers as being the 4th best assistant coach in the B10, and being the associate head coach at IU under Archie Miller, he is currently unemployed. Ostrom is a Minnesota grad (class of '97), is considered to be a defensive whiz, and is also widely lauded for his recruiting abilities. He's spent time learning under Billy Donovan, John Pelphrey, Archie Miller, and........................Clem Haskins, as an undergrad assistant with the program. :)

If the U can manage to get past its utter self-flagellation over that last part, Ostrom seems eminently worthy of receiving at least a phone call from us in order to gauge any possible interest.
97 eh....did he write his own term papers? If so, let's get him!

Larry Suggs

OMG!

Thorson and Conroy would be decent. Suggs for a year if it brings Chet.

Ben went to Northwestern, so we know he is smart. He will most likely surprise with his knowledge. His biggest questions is performance under the bright lights and player development. That's where he needs help.

Sounds familiar, but it is common for young coaches. Maybe if he can recruit well enough he can cover his growing pains with talent by bringing in assistants who can lure in the recruits.

His primary attraction would be recruiting. We need X's and O's guys.
Why do you think D Johnson isn’t good at X’s and O’s

he overachieved at North St Paul due to recruiting?

Not sure I want him as an assistant as I’d like to see more college level experience generally. But I’m not sure it is fair to just call a guy bot good at Xs and Os for no reason

Kyle Green (UNI), Dave Thorson, Ed Conroy

Kyle Green brings his son AJ with him. Liam stays here with his uncle. Johnson lands Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia in the portal.

Starting Lineup

AJ Green
Gabe Kalscheur
Jamison Battle
Dawson Garcia
Liam Robbins

Profit
Great idea, wish I had thought of it

Ben needs to hire his own Phil Martelli like Juwan Howard did. That’s why I was hoping his salary was closer to 1.2 million to give him the ability to pay extremely well to get that or RN head coach as an assistant.
WIth that budget, look for Saul Smith to be first on the list

Why do you think D Johnson isn’t good at X’s and O’s

he overachieved at North St Paul due to recruiting?

Not sure I want him as an assistant as I’d like to see more college level experience generally. But I’m not sure it is fair to just call a guy bot good at Xs and Os for no reason
I'm not saying he is or isn't. But he's never coached at the college level, so I don't think that would be his primary selling point. It would be his recruiting ties. I think the assistants need be X's and O's first, recruiting 2nd.

I'm not saying he is or isn't. But he's never coached at the college level, so I don't think that would be his primary selling point. It would be his recruiting ties. I think the assistants need be X's and O's first, recruiting 2nd.
My impression is that he's the consumate coach in all aspects of coaching, which is why he's done as well as he has and why his teams have improved through the course of their seasons--especially his last NSP team, who started the season really bad and were dangerous by the end.

Larry Suggs

OMG!

Thorson and Conroy would be decent. Suggs for a year if it brings Chet.

Ben went to Northwestern, so we know he is smart. He will most likely surprise with his knowledge. His biggest questions is performance under the bright lights and player development. That's where he needs help.

Sounds familiar, but it is common for young coaches. Maybe if he can recruit well enough he can cover his growing pains with talent by bringing in assistants who can lure in the recruits.

I hate the shortcut of hiring a coach to get a player. Just not my preference nor do I think it works out very often in the long run. I will say Ben's pretty well thought of on player development side at least, my worry will be system identification and team defense personally. Thorson could help with that for sure.

Selling point to who?

My impression is that he's the consumate coach in all aspects of coaching, which is why he's done as well as he has and why his teams have improved through the course of their seasons--especially his last NSP team, who started the season really bad and were dangerous by the end.
I'm not disputing that. But if a talking point on Ben's inexperience is "don't worry he'll hire an experienced coach coach like Howard did with Martelli to lead the staff" Damien Johnson who's never coached above HS doesn't fit that bill. We need the lead assistant to be someone who's coached D1 before.

I'm not disputing that. But if a talking point on Ben's inexperience is "don't worry he'll hire an experienced coach coach like Howard did with Martelli to lead the staff" Damien Johnson who's never coached above HS doesn't fit that bill. We need the lead assistant to be someone who's coached D1 before.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Damian as a lead assistant. Just saying there could be a spot for him on the staff.

My reaction is to the people who are, for some reason, assuming that Johnson is all hat and no cattle when it comes to basketball coaching. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Damian as a lead assistant. Just saying there could be a spot for him on the staff.
Director of Ops. Coordinate recruiting help coordinate travel for the team etc...

Gotta believe he’s going after Thorson. I love DJ, but not sure about a HS coach jumping straight to a B1G assistant job. Could probably find some type of role for him (player development?) if Ben wants to bring him into the fold

Read Ryan Livingston’s bio. Current ops guy... nice guy. Jack of all trades perfect start up position......

Gotta believe he’s going after Thorson. I love DJ, but not sure about a HS coach jumping straight to a B1G assistant job. Could probably find some type of role for him (player development?) if Ben wants to bring him into the fold
I think you definitely want a veteran as your lead assistant. With Clem, if I recall correctly, it was Al Brown. Clem also brought in a young Dave Thorson, who had only been a volunteer assistant in South Dakota but eventually assumed a full assistant position here. So, a combo of experienced and young.

Just bumping this thread.

Any rumblings?

Seems a lot of posters are speculating on transfers in and out, but I would think BJ getting his staff in order would be first order of business.

Did anyone else find it odd that Ben did not mention Thorson as one of his mentors?

Damian is actually an Xs and Os ace. He'd be a great addition. He was quick to congratulate Ben on Twitter, so...
I concur. And at the risk of repeating myself yes, he is a Good defensive X’s and O’s guy. Boxing out, shutting down the lanes you name it. Solid defense.
8D68A5DB-51CE-4ADB-A202-928DB76A32DF.jpeg

Please stop. He has never coached in college. We’re hiring high school coaches to fill out a staff now?
Would you want Thorson who is two years removed from never coaching in college?

Top Bottom