Assistant Coaches

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
Hey....

The reason why the same "disappointment" narrative keeps getting brought up is because people keep questioning why people are negative about the hire, or that the Boomers are idiots, or that people are hating on Ben Johnson, etc... It is very simple. The hire didn't meet some peoples expectations and that will not really change until we have results.
Lol not picking on you genuinely, and when you would point out every thread devolving into a fire pitino session, you were correct. This is tame compared to the last season.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Lol not picking on you genuinely, and when you would point out every thread devolving into a fire pitino session, you were correct. This is tame compared to the last season.
Yes, I know... was just poking at you...

The excitement will build as Ben brings in assistants and players. It doesn't have to be logical, we are FANaticS.

alchemy2u

Reaction score

CurveballJesus

Reaction score

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
he definitely sounds interested.
He definitely does which has me optimistic about how the staff will shape up. I think Nuness has a very good chance of getting an assistant spot, but if Ben finds three coaches that he thinks could contribute more than Nuness, then that must be a very strong staff.

Gophs24

Reaction score
Interview with Nuness:
thanks for posting......and man oh man.....he sure got my hopes up listening to him.....

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
Johnson specifically said there was interest from coaches still playing. That would make Thorson and Nuness potential options.
Some of the names mentioned as being possibilities:

Jared Nuness
Dave Thorson
Ed Conroy
Damian Johnson

Have any other names been mentioned so far? Some good options in there, but I wonder if it is too regionally based? Or would that even be a bad thing?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score

Jared Nuness
Dave Thorson
Ed Conroy
Damian Johnson

Have any other names been mentioned so far? Some good options in there, but I wonder if it is too regionally based? Or would that even be a bad thing?
How many couches are allowed? 2-3? Looks like 2-3 with additional support staff.

Keyser Söze

Reaction score

Gopherfan84

Reaction score

Jared Nuness
Dave Thorson
Ed Conroy
Damian Johnson

Nuness, Thorson, and Conroy have now been all over. I wouldn't worry about them being too regionally based now.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
How many couches are allowed? 2-3? Looks like 2-3 with additional support staff.
One would have to be a love seat.

Seriously, this list is a potential dream coaching staff. Even getting just one of the two of Thorson or Nuness along with any of the others on the list would be a great, great team.

Gopherfan84

Reaction score
Ben Johnson overlapped with Ed Conroy for 2 years at Minnesota which is a good thing. He already knows what Conroy is about, so he should know if he will be a good fit for his staff.
Ed has inroads with Holloman as well. That's important. If they could get him, that's your cornerstone recruit to start you tenure.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Ed has inroads with Holloman as well. That's important. If they could get him, that's your cornerstone recruit to start you tenure.
"inroads"

Would love to hear you elaborate on that, and in general on laying such "inroads".

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I heard through the grapevine that CDH gave his mom the girls job in order to get him to CDH. Do you think they will be expecting a similar payment from his college choice?
Why wouldn't a top recruit expect something in return from the Gophers, when many other major MBB programs do it?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Solid relationship and was the main contact on previous staff.
Ah, the R word. Easy to say, tough to do ... I guess.

I tried to form a relationship like that in high school once. Went to the person's locker and said "Hi! I like you! So, you should be with me, right?" ;)

Gopherfan84

Reaction score
I heard through the grapevine that CDH gave his mom the girls job in order to get him to CDH. Do you think they will be expecting a similar payment from his college choice?
No idea. The Pulley/CDH connection seems strong though as they have some coaches who work for both.

Gopherfan84

Reaction score
Ah, the R word. Easy to say, tough to do ... I guess.

I tried to form a relationship like that in high school once. Went to the person's locker and said "Hi! I like you! So, you should be with me, right?" ;)
Just per media reports man. I don't know what else to tell ya. I have nothing concrete evidence wise.
Why wouldn't a top recruit expect something in return from the Gophers, when many other major MBB programs do it?
Many programs also play it clean. Depends on what the kid and his family want/need.

Top Bottom