Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

The Pac-12 is about to go into panic mode. The foolish schools that blocked SDSU from joining didn’t help the conference. The inability to get a halfway decent media contract is the major reason the conference is starting to implode.

Just saw this on the Husky board:
‘Getting reports that SDSU, SMU, UNLV and CSU have already been contacted by GK (Pac-12) and have been put “on standby”

It’s popcorn time!
SDSU, especially with the Chargers gone makes sense the rest are crap and make the PAC12 Mountain West 2.

Get the gang back together.

7tz05l.jpg

Last edited:

A lot of people saying they have a second team in the wings from what I’m reading

Hopefully it’s Rutgers (jk)

I don’t think it can be UConn

Allegedly big ten has an escalator that means that espn will match any power 5 team added. UConn wouldn’t fit that automatic new piece of pie added if that’s true.

Smart money on someone else in the pac 12.
Yeah,
If only you know who was still around to try and spin all of this!
I'll admit I was thinking the same...

My guess is B1G goes for Washington and Stanford first, then circles back to the Irish with the Cardinal in the fold. Then bring in Cal and solve UCLA's heartburn. 🙂

My guess is B1G goes for Washington and Stanford first, then circles back to the Irish with the Cardinal in the fold. Then bring in Cal and solve UCLA's heartburn. 🙂
Stanford, Irish, California and Wash/OR is the dream.

Last edited:

Why would any fan want a 20-team conference?
Because at some point a big enough conference makes the conference admit you can’t play everyone all the time, so it becomes more regional again when they subdivide it.

I want the conference at 60 so the original big ten is a division of 10

Because at some point a big enough conference makes the conference admit you can’t play everyone all the time, so it becomes more regional again when they subdivide it.

It would ultimately make the B1G the new defacto NCAA.

Ultimately this will get to 64 teams in one league that runs like the NFL for scheduling purposes. It will have a form of division play and rotating cross over play, with teams qualifying for a playoff. Revenue shared across the board.

Ultimately this will get to 64 teams in one league that runs like the NFL for scheduling purposes. It will have a form of division play and rotating cross over play, with teams qualifying for a playoff. Revenue shared
The NFL is king and to push CFB towards NFL like popularity, revenue sharing and parity should be the goal but do the CFB "haves" really want to share with the "have nots?" The reality is that Minnesota really is a have not and recent trends suggest to me that a future, perhaps distant, CFB is realignment of the "haves" (OSU, Mich, PSU, Bama, USC, ND, Georgia, etc) and away from what's left of the traditional conferences.

Really interesting story from last year from a former Fox exec saying that Stanford was valued at $45M to the networks and Oregon $30M. But Oregon was able to make up some of the difference through Nike and their overall brand. Makes me think that once the PAC kills itself, B1G will take 4 from them.

And I don't worry about haves removing have nots in B1G or SEC. The NFL is also successful because they keep the Jets, Cards, Browns, etc. Need those teams too.

The NFL is king and to push CFB towards NFL like popularity, revenue sharing and parity should be the goal but do the CFB "haves" really want to share with the "have nots?" The reality is that Minnesota really is a have not and recent trends suggest to me that a future, perhaps distant, CFB is realignment of the "haves" (OSU, Mich, PSU, Bama, USC, ND, Georgia, etc) and away from what's left of the traditional conferences.
I’m not sure NFLizng CFB does good for anyone but the survivors.

The NFL has 32 teams…the more like the NFL you are the more like the NFL you have to be.

I’m not sure NFLizng CFB does good for anyone but the survivors.

The NFL has 32 teams…the more like the NFL you are the more like the NFL you have to be.
I'd guess with a P2 you'd have 40-48. And then an opening in the CFP for the best of the rest.

Ultimately this will get to 64 teams in one league that runs like the NFL for scheduling purposes. It will have a form of division play and rotating cross over play, with teams qualifying for a playoff. Revenue shared across the board.
I tend to agree generally but not specifically
Meaning
There is nothing magic about the number 64 and it could end up closer to 30-40

CU comments/shade on Big 12 vs. PAC 9 visibility and linear broadcasts on ESPN and FOX make it seem more and more likely that even if the money is somehow comparable, PAC is going to have a TV deal with with 80% streamed on Aggie Vision equivalents, the game of the week on ION network and Tier 2 on RFD and Court TV.

CU is only one school but how does the PAC survive this?

next domino to watch is Arizona. the question is whether Arizona could make a move without Arizona State - because the two schools are under the same Board of Regents.

after that - some outlets are claiming that Oregon and Washington have spoken or will be speaking to the Big-12. there are also reports that the B1G is not in a position to make a move on Oregon and Washington because - allegedly - the majority of the conference wants to focus on bringing in USC and UCLA.

If the Pac-12 survives, it is going to be a very different-looking conference. but in order to survive, it needs a media deal that allows it to survive, and right now, I don't know how they accomplish that.

next domino to watch is Arizona. the question is whether Arizona could make a move without Arizona State - because the two schools are under the same Board of Regents.

after that - some outlets are claiming that Oregon and Washington have spoken or will be speaking to the Big-12. there are also reports that the B1G is not in a position to make a move on Oregon and Washington because - allegedly - the majority of the conference wants to focus on bringing in USC and UCLA.

If the Pac-12 survives, it is going to be a very different-looking conference. but in order to survive, it needs a media deal that allows it to survive, and right now, I don't know how they accomplish that.
Really the question to me is;
Are the remnants of the pac 12 going to join the mountain west? Or is the entire mountain west going to join the remnants of the pac 12

No chance Washington goes to Big12. My thought is B1G put that out because it was not looking to make the next move. Now that Colorado has, I think all bets are off.

No chance Washington goes to Big12. My thought is B1G put that out because it was not looking to make the next move. Now that Colorado has, I think all bets are off.
Agreed, if the Pac12 falls apart, B1G will make a move for the schools they want, no doubt about it.

Idk why I'm surprised, but I don't know why Boise State hasn't gotten a call from the Pac12 yet.

the Pac-12 has created virtually all of its problems here - but now they are really in a mess. without a TV deal in place, no school is going to join the conference - because they need to know what their TV revenue would be - especially if that school has to pay a buyout to get out of its old conference.

and if you're a TV network or streaming service, what kind of deal are you going to offer the Pac-12 now when you're not sure which teams - and media markets - will be in the conference.

and for the remaining teams in the Pac-12, what reason do they have to sign a Grant of Rights?

in Twitter land (I refuse to call it "X") - a lot of talk/buzz that Arizona could announce a move to the Big-12 as soon as next week.

the Pac-12 has created virtually all of its problems here - but now they are really in a mess. without a TV deal in place, no school is going to join the conference - because they need to know what their TV revenue would be - especially if that school has to pay a buyout to get out of its old conference.

and if you're a TV network or streaming service, what kind of deal are you going to offer the Pac-12 now when you're not sure which teams - and media markets - will be in the conference.

and for the remaining teams in the Pac-12, what reason do they have to sign a Grant of Rights?

in Twitter land (I refuse to call it "X") - a lot of talk/buzz that Arizona could announce a move to the Big-12 as soon as next week.
Don’t think any conference will sign one of these again.
Programs like Florida state, North Carolina, Clemson, and Virginia really regret having that in place.

Programs like Washington, Oregon, etc won’t sign anything that prevents them from jumping into one of the top two leagues IMO

I got dressed down on here a few weeks ago for just posting a Tweet rumor about Arizona considering the Big-12. It totally makes sense assuming the Pac-12 falls apart.

Top Bottom