Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

Look at this loser!

I mean, who cares what an athletic director thinks???! Amiright? The only thing that matters are when media folks put out articles based on "sources say" or "an insider tells".

Safe to say that the network holding up adding Oregon and Wash to the B1G is CBS. And they'll gladly renegotiate to add those 2 schools in starting April 17. Explains holding up the future schedule for B1G and for OSU cancelling their game against Wash. I see pods in our future.
Oregon and Wash would get us to 18, meaning 3 pods of 6 teams, which I kinda doubt is the route they would go.

Oregon and Wash would get us to 18, meaning 3 pods of 6 teams, which I kinda doubt is the route they would go.
You’d have to go to 10 conference games, but doing so would allow maintaining the 3 yearly and then rotating through everyone else every two years.

You’d have to go to 10 conference games, but doing so would allow maintaining the 3 yearly and then rotating through everyone else every two years.
I think they'll move to 4 pods of 4 with some rotation(due to a couple having 5 teams) and eventually 4 pods of 5. NFL model is what I think they ultimately want. And will happen as soon as somebody leaves the ACC.

Look at this loser!

I mean, who cares what an athletic director thinks???! Amiright? The only thing that matters are when media folks put out articles based on "sources say" or "an insider tells".

Dennis Dodd has covered college football for 25 years. I am going to assume that he knows a lot of people - in other words, he has "sources." For better or worse, that is how reporting works these days. Sources don't want to go public or have their names used for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that what they're saying is false or lacks value. Just means that they are providing information or opinions to the reporter and the reporter agrees not to use their names. Same is true in the political realm.

If you could only publish stories that used 'named' sources, there would be a lot fewer stories being published.

Safe to say that the network holding up adding Oregon and Wash to the B1G is CBS. And they'll gladly renegotiate to add those 2 schools in starting April 17. Explains holding up the future schedule for B1G and for OSU cancelling their game against Wash. I see pods in our future.
I don't think pods are in the mix. Three protected games and a rotating schedule form there.

Dennis Dodd has covered college football for 25 years. I am going to assume that he knows a lot of people - in other words, he has "sources." For better or worse, that is how reporting works these days. Sources don't want to go public or have their names used for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that what they're saying is false or lacks value. Just means that they are providing information or opinions to the reporter and the reporter agrees not to use their names. Same is true in the political realm.

If you could only publish stories that used 'named' sources, there would be a lot fewer stories being published.
Watergate is a prime example... I'm sure MPLSGopher, er, Gophers4life will be googling that to figure out a response.

I don't think pods are in the mix. Three protected games and a rotating schedule form there.
The only difference between “pods” and “protected rivals” is if protected rivals have the same protected rivals

Tell me more.
Like,
If nebraksas rivals were Iowa Wisconsin and Minnesota
And iowas were Minnesota Nebraska and Wisconsin
And wisconsins were Nebraska iowa and Minnesota
And Minnesota were Wisconsin Iowa and Nebraska

That’s what a pod is

Everyone gets 3 protected rivals:
16 schools have 3 different protected rivalries

Pods
These 4 have each other as protected rivals:
Penn state, Rutgers, Maryland, northwestern
Michigan, Michigan state, Ohio state, illinois
Minnesota, Iowa, wisconsin, Nebraska,
UCLA, USC, Purdue, Indiana

Everything else is the same

Last edited:

Like,
If nebraksas rivals were Iowa Wisconsin and Minnesota
And iowas were Minnesota Nebraska and Wisconsin
And wisconsins were Nebraska iowa and Minnesota
And Minnesota were Wisconsin Iowa and Nebraska

That’s what a pod is

Everyone gets 3 protected rivals:
16 schools have 3 different protected rivalries

Pods
These 4 have each other as protected rivals:
Penn state, Rutgers, Maryland, northwestern
Michigan, Michigan state, Ohio state, illinois
Minnesota, Iowa, wisconsin, Nebraska,
UCLA, USC, Purdue, Indiana

Everything else is the same
Y0u built these to conveniently to support your premise.

If they were going to chop the 16 up into four unique, non-overlapping groupings of four teams each, where each of the four were guaranteed to play the other three teams in the grouping

--- that would be "pods".

Just because there might happen to work out to be one grouping like that, out of the 16 teams, doesn't mean that's the same thing.

They're two distinct things.

Dennis Dodd gets paid good money to publish articles that people will click on.

College realignment is a golden goose that keeps on laying eggs. Any two-bit nobody can throw some crap out on Twitter or thingamajig .com and people will click on it and promote it, if it says what they want to read.

I have no doubt that somebody said that thing to Dennis Dodd. The important, critical thing ... that took up half a sentence in his thousand word article.

"Talks". What a "talk" is, or what it is about ... meh. Not important.

What's important is the click. The lifeblood of internet media.

Y0u built these to conveniently to support your premise.
ok

I made these up to demonstrate what people are suggesting when they say pods.

You have the choice of understanding what people mean when they say pods or ignoring it

speaking of the Arizona President, he also said this:

• In an interview with Bay Area News Group’s Jon Wilner, Arizona president Robert Robbins said that “I don’t think anybody wants to leave (the Pac-12)” but also that “it’s heavily dependent on (commissioner George Kliavkoff) and his team negotiating a good media deal for us to stay competitive.”
In other words - if the media deal is good, we stay. if the media deal is crap, we'll be like Billy Zane in "Titanic" - leading the fight for the lifeboats.

I would agree that you wouldn't move for "a couple" of million dollars more. But that's the crux. It will be more than a couple. And possibly less exposure to boot.

Another week has gone by with no deal. Continuing the negative press for the PAC and screaming louder about how bad their deal will be. These tweets are nothing.

speaking of the Arizona President, he also said this:

• In an interview with Bay Area News Group’s Jon Wilner, Arizona president Robert Robbins said that “I don’t think anybody wants to leave (the Pac-12)” but also that “it’s heavily dependent on (commissioner George Kliavkoff) and his team negotiating a good media deal for us to stay competitive.”
In other words - if the media deal is good, we stay. if the media deal is crap, we'll be like Billy Zane in "Titanic" - leading the fight for the lifeboats.
Well, it will be at least as “good” as the Big 12’s deal and that’s the only other place they can go. So doesn’t make much sense, but crazier things have happened so we will see.

Well, it will be at least as “good” as the Big 12’s deal and that’s the only other place they can go. So doesn’t make much sense, but crazier things have happened so we will see.
If it's as good as the Big 12s then why haven't they announced it?

And you didn't post the quotes from the AZ president saying they would leave if it's not good.

He didn’t say that in the slightest.

Takes longer because it’s (far) more complex.

There is no possible benefit for the Big Ten, the U, or college athletics for the PAC conference to dissolve.

It's laughable that there are people who (claim to) want that to happen. Makes no sense, other than as it gives people something to write about that people will click on.

Anyway, I'll declare victory here when the current, remaining 10, possible with 2 other new members, sign a new GoR coinciding with the announcement of their new TV/media deal, for let's say 3-5 years. That is perfectly reasonable, and I would expect that to get done and announced in the next couple months.

There is no possible benefit for the Big Ten, the U, or college athletics for the PAC conference to dissolve.

It's laughable that there are people who (claim to) want that to happen. Makes no sense, other than as it gives people something to write about that people will click on.

Anyway, I'll declare victory here when the current, remaining 10, possible with 2 other new members, sign a new GoR coinciding with the announcement of their new TV/media deal, for let's say 3-5 years. That is perfectly reasonable, and I would expect that to get done and announced in the next couple months.
Well considering they are within 14mths of the current deal ending, they would have to announce sooner rather than later.

It's only complicated if they have to go on multiple formats, which clearly don't involve anyone other than possibly ESPN. So Amazon? And then how to get those formats to broadcast all of their conference's games. Which no format seems to want to do.

I can list benefits for the Big Ten.

:)

https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-12-dominos-will-start-falling-on-tuesday/

If you’re a fan of a Pac-12 school, circle next Tuesday, March 21st, on your calendar.

That is when the Pac-12 CEO group meets next. They will not meet again until April 10th.

Media rights remains at the top of the agenda, and John Canzano says the finish line is in sight.

“I think this meeting that’s coming up next Tuesday is really important,” Canzano said Wednesday on 750 The Game. “I do think there’s some motivation from the presidents and chancellors to wrap this.”

Canzano says he expects new players like Amazon and Apple to be part of the media deal in addition to ESPN.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

Canzano also says there could be news on conference expansion with the Pac-12 even before a media rights deal is finalized, and that San Diego State and SMU are the leaders in the clubhouse to be invited.

“I think we might get that [expansion news] before we get the media rights news,” Canzano said. “What I’m thinking is SMU and San Diego State will probably be informed by the Pac-12, ‘hey, we’re extending an invitation’, or, ‘we’re not’, prior to the announcement of the deal. Because they’re not going to want to be left going, ‘hey, we have a deal’, and a day later, ‘oh, we’re announcing SMU and San Diego State’. So I almost expect we’re going to get a leak on the expansion front first.”

Should the Pac-12 successfully announce expansion into southern California with San Diego State and the state of Texas with SMU, while also securing media rights valued in a range comparable or surpassing the Big 12’s most recent deal, Canzano says folks in Big 12 country will not be happy.

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.” :)

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pac-12-punches-back-as-tv

Canzano: Pac-12 punches back as TV deal nears

UA president, Dr. Robert Robbins, happened to be there. Haubner has been tuned into the ongoing media-rights negation involving the Pac-12 Conference. He noticed Robbins in the room, introduced himself, and put a microphone in front of him.

“We’re very confident that we’re going to get a good deal and that we can all stay together,” Robbins said. “So I think that’s the message that’s important to get out. Because there’s a lot of disinformation. For instance, ‘Arizona’s going to the Big 12.’ We’re not going to the Big 12. We want to see what the deal is here because we are all — including Arizona and Arizona State and all the schools — want to keep the conference of champions together.”

It was the second time this week that Robbins spoke out about Arizona’s committed mindset. This came on the heels of Arizona State president Michael Crow giving an interview with the ASU student newspaper.

Crow said: “We have fabulous sports teams and the remaining teams, we’re going to get a good offer. We’re in the final stages of that process.”

Also this week, Utah athletic director Mark Harlan told a Salt Lake City radio station that he is fed up with erroneous reports about the demise of the Pac-12.

“I’ve been clear all along,” Harlan said. “The other schools in our conference have been clear all along that we’re together. We’re 10. We’ve said it. We’re working hard with our commissioner to get this deal done.”

https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-12-dominos-will-start-falling-on-tuesday/

If you’re a fan of a Pac-12 school, circle next Tuesday, March 21st, on your calendar.

That is when the Pac-12 CEO group meets next. They will not meet again until April 10th.

Media rights remains at the top of the agenda, and John Canzano says the finish line is in sight.

“I think this meeting that’s coming up next Tuesday is really important,” Canzano said Wednesday on 750 The Game. “I do think there’s some motivation from the presidents and chancellors to wrap this.”

Canzano says he expects new players like Amazon and Apple to be part of the media deal in addition to ESPN.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

Canzano also says there could be news on conference expansion with the Pac-12 even before a media rights deal is finalized, and that San Diego State and SMU are the leaders in the clubhouse to be invited.

“I think we might get that [expansion news] before we get the media rights news,” Canzano said. “What I’m thinking is SMU and San Diego State will probably be informed by the Pac-12, ‘hey, we’re extending an invitation’, or, ‘we’re not’, prior to the announcement of the deal. Because they’re not going to want to be left going, ‘hey, we have a deal’, and a day later, ‘oh, we’re announcing SMU and San Diego State’. So I almost expect we’re going to get a leak on the expansion front first.”

Should the Pac-12 successfully announce expansion into southern California with San Diego State and the state of Texas with SMU, while also securing media rights valued in a range comparable or surpassing the Big 12’s most recent deal, Canzano says folks in Big 12 country will not be happy.

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.” :)
A comparable deal to Big 12's equals less than 40% of the B1G's deal.

Yes?

The PAC, Big 12, and ACC will never again have deals that come anywhere close to the Big Ten or SEC.

So long as the Big Ten is not extending invitations to any additional PAC schools -- which they absolutely are not, they would've done it at the same time as USCLA -- then there's nothing to talk about with PAC schools leaving.

I don't think the Big Ten looks at expansion again, until/if:
- Notre Dame is on the table, and/or
- ACC schools get freed of their GoR and are interested in moving

Then, at that time, and also highly depending on what the SEC wants to do ... then, we could see additional movement.

There are precious few "needle movers" left for the super power 2. Notre Dame is an obvious one. And there are some ACC schools that would be juicy for the Big Ten, for all the right reasons (market, institutional fit, etc.).

Top Bottom