Annexstad in the Portal

This one could shape up to resemble what happened to Penn State against Iowa when Clifford got hurt.

Last off season, PSU had two QBs transfer out and the guy that came in for Clifford was brutal.

Morgan gets hurt next year...it could get ugly fast.
Well, I guess you can only hope.

This one could shape up to resemble what happened to Penn State against Iowa when Clifford got hurt.

Last off season, PSU had two QBs transfer out and the guy that came in for Clifford was brutal.

Was already true with Kramer and annexstad

sorry

Like, you’re right, but not because we lost Kole Kramer

That’s college football. Starters move on and someone replaces them. Morgan has been a great to good QB here, but he can’t play forever. Lots on here have taunted PJ as this great recruiter who is going to out recruit the players that are already here which if true means there should be a QB or two on the roster that will be better than Tanner.
QB position is a tricky one. Look at how many mediocre QBs there are in the NFL. Finding a great QB is tough, and there just aren't that many of them out there. Even at the college level, look at the portal and all the QBs in it, many of them are high rated guys who for one reason or another couldn't earn the starting job at their old school.

We saw what Morgan was capable of in 2019, there is a very good chance many of his issues since then had a lot to do with Sanford which has led to Sanford being fired. I don't think there is anyone on this board who would not want 2019 Tanner Morgan calling the shots for our offense. That guy was being compared to the best QBs in the nation and being viewed as a future NFL prospect.

Fingers crossed right? You haven't had much to complain about the last few weeks.....

QB position is a tricky one. Look at how many mediocre QBs there are in the NFL. Finding a great QB is tough, and there just aren't that many of them out there. Even at the college level, look at the portal and all the QBs in it, many of them are high rated guys who for one reason or another couldn't earn the starting job at their old school.

We saw what Morgan was capable of in 2019, there is a very good chance many of his issues since then had a lot to do with Sanford which has led to Sanford being fired. I don't think there is anyone on this board who would not want 2019 Tanner Morgan calling the shots for our offense. That guy was being compared to the best QBs in the nation and being viewed as a future NFL prospect.
Morgan has to improve his pocket awareness and learn to throw better and more accurately when he isn't set. That's not the function of the OC or QB coach. It is 100% on the QB to get better.

Morgan has to improve his pocket awareness and learn to throw better and more accurately when he isn't set. That's not the function of the OC or QB coach. It is 100% on the QB to get better.
That's fair, sure Morgan would be first to admit that he has things to improve in his game. Every player does.

OC can help though by calling plays that play to the QBs strengths. And I mean it is the QB coaches job to help the player improve so maybe not 100% on the QB to get better on his own :)

Hey, did you ever ask your super-duper-secret source in the locker room if Autman-Bell was coming back in 2022?

Did you at least take him out to dinner in sympathy for him getting canned?

So does your source think Morgan made him look bad, and Fleck wouldn't let him play another QB?

Yeah, that's what he's been trying to say all along.

You see, Morgan's lack of "pocket awareness" cost the coach his job, apparently. And, because Fleck loves to be brown-nosed, and Morgan is a suck-up, Fleck resisted changing QBs.

Right, Sonjay?

Yes, it would be fantastic if we had a QB who could throw lasers when he isn't set but there are about 20 people on the planet that have that ability. This is college football, you will rarely have a QB who does everything well.

As far as pocket awareness, I'm not sure if I see this as an issue. He did occasionally get happy feet but I don't think that's the same. He steps into the pocket to make throws, doesn't often scramble himself into sacks, I just don't think this is a huge issue for him.

Tanner's issues are that he doesn't have a cannon and he locks in on targets. He had those issues in 2019 too, but he was super accurate. He was less accurate this year. A chunk of that is on Tanner and a chunk of that is on the OC.

What's really strange is how good Morgan and the Gophers' offense looked in 2019, before Sonjay's best pal got here.

Fingers crossed right? You haven't had much to complain about the last few weeks.....
How about you toss aside your attempts at trolling me and accept the fact that the Goph's depth chart at QB has become a bit troublesome?

Where do we think Clark and Annexstad end up, and will either or both be starters?

Any opinions?

Clark had a pretty good resume coming out of high school. He threw only one pass here but it was a 39 yard completion and close to touchdown as I recall. The receiver, Harry Van Dyne, is now at Indiana State. I think he'll get a lot of looks. As I recall, he is from Texas so maybe he goes to a university there as there are a lot of them to choose from.

I don't hold Annexstad in as high esteem as some others on here. Unlike Clark, he does have FBS starting experience so that might be worth something.

Yes, it would be fantastic if we had a QB who could throw lasers when he isn't set but there are about 20 people on the planet that have that ability. This is college football, you will rarely have a QB who does everything well.

As far as pocket awareness, I'm not sure if I see this as an issue. He did occasionally get happy feet but I don't think that's the same. He steps into the pocket to make throws, doesn't often scramble himself into sacks, I just don't think this is a huge issue for him.

Tanner's issues are that he doesn't have a cannon and he locks in on targets. He had those issues in 2019 too, but he was super accurate. He was less accurate this year. A chunk of that is on Tanner and a chunk of that is on the OC.
Yep. You're right. I totally missed those points. I stand corrected. All good now?

I think he is more than worthy of a power five landing spot. He has beaten out both Morgan and Sikowski for the starting role in the past and he didn't do anything to lose those jobs. Just ran into some bad luck with injuries.

I don't feel the same way as you. You talk like the guy was the best option but was cheated out of a starting position. I don't agree. I thought he was all right for a freshman but Tanner was an immediate upgrade once he stepped into the starting role. The perception of Zach as a good starter must have been due to the fact that he was a better QB than the mostly terrible Demry Croft the season before.

How about you toss aside your attempts at trolling me and accept the fact that the Goph's depth chart at QB has become a bit troublesome?
I'm good with the current QB depth chart. Having Annexstad around was nice because he had been in the system for a while and probably could have stepped in fairly easily but the combo of Morgan, Kramer, Athan, and the incoming freshman along with some walk ons is fine and pretty consistent with what most teams have.

I don't feel the same way as you. You talk like the guy was the best option but was cheated out of a starting position. I don't agree. I thought he was all right for a freshman but Tanner was an immediate upgrade once he stepped into the starting role. The perception of Zach as a good starter must have been due to the fact that he was a better QB than the mostly terrible Demry Croft the season before.
I think it will come down to a right fit situation for Zack. If a place like Vandy or Kansas Univ has an immediate need, experience is a major plus over the average high school player coming into his first year of college.

I'm good with the current QB depth chart. Having Annexstad around was nice because he had been in the system for a while and probably could have stepped in fairly easily but the combo of Morgan, Kramer, Athan, and the incoming freshman along with some walk ons is fine and pretty consistent with what most teams have.
One thing is certain, at least to me...high school recruiting importance has been diminished in recent years and the portal is the new normal.

Might make those recruiting rankings that some fans worry about a moot point.

One thing is certain, at least to me...high school recruiting importance has been diminished in recent years and the portal is the new normal.

Might make those recruiting rankings that some fans worry about a moot point.
Agreed. It'll be fun to watch how it all evolves. Some of those AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA games could get more and more entertaining and worth watching. Eventually, way down the road, maybe more parity between the Power 5s and the G5s. Cincinnati is doing it now. UTSA had a short stint in the top 20 until this week. Boise State had a good run for several years.

What I do know is the ranking sites and the entire business that is college football will find ways to monetize what ever happens.

Top Bottom