Annexstad in the Portal

Clark was a 4 star by Rivals and had plenty of P5 offers.

Clark hit a great pass in his only attempt, so you cant ask for anything more.

Clark played in a much tougher football conference in HS than did Jacob and Athen.

I didnt like Morgan coming back and dont like it even more.

The coached at blue bloods will pull players if they arent performing, even if for a few plays, because they want to WIN EVERY GAME.

PJ will never go to a blue blood bc his priority is not winning, to him its a life program, not a football program. He has raised the bar here, which I love, but now I hope he learns to sub in for players who arent performing. Otherwise we wont win the West let alone the B1G.

You keep saying stuff like this with literally zero proof. Could it be that despite his one awesome pass Clark just isnt as good as you all think he is?

If culture is what matters, why did ZA lose his spot when he came back? Please enlighten us.

Personally I wish that Morgan moved on but lets not pretend ZA and Clark were the second coming ok? No one on the team seemed too upset that Morgan was starting over them. Maybe they all know Morgan was the best of the three.

We want the best QB play every year. Doesn't matter how it shakes out.
Yup. I was a huge ZA fan, always thought he could have performed as well as Morgan for the most part if he was given the chance again. But things happen for a reason, I think the makeup of the QB room now and going forward played a part in his decision. I'm confident the position will be in good hands as we get further down the road.

What would you say if Kramer leaves?

I mean, obviously you have to actually walk the walk .... but might seem like the writing is on the wall that we'd rather have Athan as a 3-year starter than Kramer as a 2-year starter and Athan as only a 1-year?

Not sure if Athan is ready to take things over if Morgan goes down, knock on wood.
That would be problematic...but I am not sure where he would go. He had to know when he got here he was likely never the starter but he will easily be the backup now and we have no idea where the other QBs will be at developmentally after next year. He might get a shot. (I doubt it but I dont know)

If I was PJ I would definitely get him snaps...not because I think he is anything special but because that way if Athan and Co. aren't ready for 2023 he can start.

I'm ok with these guys leaving. These guys left with class and that I appreciate. Fleck continues to recruit up so am hoping that will have a very capable replacement ready to take the reins. Kramer has gotten some playing time, so feel though that he feels that he has played an important part of the field and hopefully will get stronger yet.

Nightmare scenario:

Jacob Clark to Illinois.
Zack to Northwestern.
Northwestern is bringing back Ryan Hilinski who is younger than Zack. They also have Hunter Johnson who will be a SR next season.
  • For the folks upset about Clark leaving because of his offers. Hunter Johnson was a 5 star with offers from Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Michigan and Notre Dame. Ryan Hilinksi was a high 4 star with offers from LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon and USC.
Illinois? It'd be kind of fun if Zack went to Illinois and competed with Sitkowski for the starting QB job. I don't think Illinois is going to bring in a complete unknown like Clark and hand him the keys to the QB room. There are several higher rated QBs who will be available (10-15) in the coming few days. I think Illinois will be in play for one of them.

Clark probably ends up at a G5 school, but I doubt with a starting job outright. Somewhere he can compete or at least know he is #2. If not, then I'm guessing FCS.

For Zack, I don't see how a P5 or G5 school can hand a guy who hasn't played meaningful snaps since 2018 the reins to its offense. If he is transferring, I assume he wants to start (he was already the backup here). To start immediately, has to be FCS or D2.
You don't see a P5 or G5 program taking a kid with two years eligibility left, who started 1/2 a season as a true freshman at the P5 level, who was backup to the winningest QB in school history? No program at any level is handing the starting position over without a competition. Zack will not shy away from competition.

TCU and Texas Tech both have new coaches and might see value in Clark.

You could be right by math alone as there are only 70 P5 programs

You don't see a P5 or G5 program taking a kid with two years eligibility left, who started 1/2 a season as a true freshman at the P5 level, who was backup to the winningest QB in school history? No program at any level is handing the starting position over without a competition. Zack will not shy away from competition.

I'm just saying I think Zack will want more of a guarantee to start. I highly doubt he is going from the backup for the team he and his family grew up loving to be a backup somewhere else.

I don't mean this as a slight to Zack, but I think most people who transfer out of a program for immediate playing time typically look for a program with fewer barriers to that playing time.

As far as Clark:
TCU: The still have Max Duggan with two years of eligibility remaining. They also had a FR play well after Duggan went down and Sam Jackson (former Gopher commit) as a FR third stringer. That's a tough spot for Clark to see a clear path to playing time.

Texas Tech: They might be in the market for a transfer portal recruit but I think it would only be if they landed a known quantity. Their starter at the end of the year was a really impressive FR. He played well against Baylor and Iowa State (not so much against OKState). They might add one of the more experienced guys if they can, but I don't think Clark would see a clear path to PT at Texas Tech.

I'm just saying I think Zack will want more of a guarantee to start. I highly doubt he is going from the backup for the team he and his family grew up loving to be a backup somewhere else.
It could simply be that he sees an opportunity to go learn in another competition or program. what are the Kansas and Kansas Sate QB situations?

Morgan
Kramer
Athan (4*)
Knuth

I'm not having heartburn yet. That QB room doesn't look too bad.
it's also pretty tough to justify 6 scholarship QB's and I don't think really are candidates to move to another position.

They have a guy (well I guess a couple guys?) they really like.

But the three other Dakotas, or Northern Iowa, if he wants to stay within 4-5 hours drive of the Cities.

I guess for that matter, could always see about Iowa State, as well.
I don't know about the UxDs, but SDSU has two starting QBs returning from injury, one of whom was conference offensive player of the year and newcomer of the year as a frosh, and the other on the conference all-newcomer team as a frosh as well (and was the best QB on the field when the U was lucky to escape with a victory over the rabbits).

None of this happens as a surprise to Fleck. He knows if Tanner comes back what the implications are. Clearly the program felt they were ok without Jacob and Zack or Tanner would have (been told to) moved on.

The hockey program nudged some super seniors on end of last season and Fleck certainly could have here. Reality is, for sure, one of these two isn't seeing the field even if Tanner leaves. There's too much (assumed) talent behind them plus Kramer was already 2nd on the depth chart. Frankly, neither of them may have seen the field next season. It very well may have been Kramer + redshirt freshmen.

Kramer's grandfather was the AD at the U. He is already playing meaningful snaps. He loves the Gophers and has for life. Why would he leave?
Was his grandfather Kent Kramer? He played for the Gophers and Vikings (and later was an executive with the Minnesota Kicks). I don’t remember him as AD.

Best of luck, kid! Much respect and will make an effort to watch you play wherever you go.

Wish both QBs the best or luck, but I think the QB position is looking pretty good with the four players left.

he got wally pipp'd, feel bad for him. players aren't supposed to lose spots due to injury. best of luck to him.

"Transfer? That never works. Coach always starts the right guy" - Joe Burrow
I hope ZA goes on to win the Heisman, National Championship, and be the #1 pick in the draft if it means our guy throws for close 5000 yards, 50 TDs with a 70% completion rate.

So you are that convinced the backups are that much better that you want to see an extremely experienced QB who has led the team to 7 and 6 win Big Ten seasons go away....

Morgan has his flaws, but the assumption that the other guys would be so much better based on little to no actual information just doesn't make any sense to me.
That’s college football. Starters move on and someone replaces them. Morgan has been a great to good QB here, but he can’t play forever. Lots on here have taunted PJ as this great recruiter who is going to out recruit the players that are already here which if true means there should be a QB or two on the roster that will be better than Tanner.

We are losing two quality individuals. But the quarterback situation is still strong.
Trust our coaches to put the players on the field who give us the best chance to win.

I know that the internet abhors equivocation, but here are some things that are true:
Our team will be okay without Annexstad.
We have other good QBs on the roster.
Fleck seemed absolutely unwilling to sit Morgan this season, even when Morgan couldn't seem to hit the side of a barn.
Morgan has had one excellent season and a couple of mediocre ones. There is hope for him to return to 2019 form with a new coordinator.
I hate to see Annexstad go because I think he's a high-character kid with lots of talent.
I'm not a pollyanna for feeling this way.

So our QB's next year might be Tanner Morgan and LaCount?
This one could shape up to resemble what happened to Penn State against Iowa when Clifford got hurt.

Last off season, PSU had two QBs transfer out and the guy that came in for Clifford was brutal.

Morgan gets hurt next year...it could get ugly fast.

Top Bottom