All Things Weather

Did not expect to wake up to everything covered in snow again. lol.

It takes a certain type of person to appreciate the winters here and I'm not one of them. 😡
A regular winter is one thing. This one essentially started in mid-November, whenever the Northwestern game was, temps were low 20s. Now it's mid-April with snow, closing in on 6 months of this crap.

Reed Timmer's video from this tornado is incredible. It matches up well with the radar imagery above. Reed is sitting to the N/NW of the tornado and it wobbles, then starts moving back towards them at the end of the video. With storms like that you always have to be aware of tornadoes moving back to the NW, even though storm motion is generally E.

Where is a good source for storm totals? For snow or rain events?

I'm curious where people find these.....

Where is a good source for storm totals? For snow or rain events?

I'm curious where people find these.....

Here are a few....

1. Probably the most comprehensive is this link from the U of M. It takes some works to get the data you may be looking for, but it contains the full reports (high/low/rain/snow/depth) going back to the beginning for dozens of official climate sites in Minnesota.

2. Also from the U of M is the Climate Journal. This is an ongoing effort to built a narrative for major weather events across Minnesota. If you are interested in a specific event I would check in here. Some of them contain detailed precipitation totals for many sites.

3. There is CoCoRaHS. This is a volunteer precip reporting organization with tons of reports coming in each day. However because anyone can do it and due to the sheer volume of them, the reports are not always accurate.

4. Similar to #1, the National Weather Service started tracking information for their reporting sites. The downside here the info at this link is only for the NWS - Twin Cities coverage area. So to find data for places like Duluth or Rochester, you would have to go to the NWS office pages for them.

Here are a few....

1. Probably the most comprehensive is this link from the U of M. It takes some works to get the data you may be looking for, but it contains the full reports (high/low/rain/snow/depth) going back to the beginning for dozens of official climate sites in Minnesota.

2. Also from the U of M is the Climate Journal. This is an ongoing effort to built a narrative for major weather events across Minnesota. If you are interested in a specific event I would check in here. Some of them contain detailed precipitation totals for many sites.

3. There is CoCoRaHS. This is a volunteer precip reporting organization with tons of reports coming in each day. However because anyone can do it and due to the sheer volume of them, the reports are not always accurate.

4. Similar to #1, the National Weather Service started tracking information for their reporting sites. The downside here the info at this link is only for the NWS - Twin Cities coverage area. So to find data for places like Duluth or Rochester, you would have to go to the NWS office pages for them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to send me a response.

Exactly what I was looking for.... (y)

Going back in history, what were the craziest period of years for MN weather? The 1917 timeframe was really bad, but my vote goes to the late 1890s. High of 76 degrees in Feb of '96, followed 13 months later by a low of 50 below (yes, different cities, but they're not all that far apart).

1682090017416.png

Going back in history, what were the craziest period of years for MN weather? The 1917 timeframe was really bad, but my vote goes to the late 1890s. High of 76 degrees in Feb of '96, followed 13 months later by a low of 50 below (yes, different cities, but they're not all that far apart).

View attachment 25203

In my lifetime 1998 was memorable.
  1. You had the Comfrey - St. Peter tornadoes in March.
  2. Then there was a largely forgotten about billion-dollar sever weather event in Mid-May: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_15,_1998,_Minnesota_storms
  3. Followed a couple weeks later by one of the largest derechos in U.S. history. This is personally the worst storm I have ever experienced. (which also included the famous tornado that wiped out Spencer, SD): https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may30-311998page.htm
  4. Then in November we had a storm system which set (at the time) the all-time lowest pressure in Minnesota: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/low_pressure_981110.html

Prior to my life, for some reason the 1960s seems to have had the craziest run of tornadoes.

Also, while 1936 is regarded as being the hottest Minnesota summer ever, several record low temps were set in Jan & Feb of that year.

In my lifetime 1998 was memorable.
  1. You had the Comfrey - St. Peter tornadoes in March.
  2. Then there was a largely forgotten about billion-dollar sever weather event in Mid-May: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_15,_1998,_Minnesota_storms
  3. Followed a couple weeks later by one of the largest derechos in U.S. history. This is personally the worst storm I have ever experienced. (which also included the famous tornado that wiped out Spencer, SD): https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may30-311998page.htm
  4. Then in November we had a storm system which set (at the time) the all-time lowest pressure in Minnesota: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/low_pressure_981110.html

Prior to my life, for some reason the 1960s seems to have had the craziest run of tornadoes.

Also, while 1936 is regarded as being the hottest Minnesota summer ever, several record low temps were set in Jan & Feb of that year.
This is a great post. I think I heard once that hot summers are often preceded by cold winters, or at least winters with some extreme cold temps, but I can't verify that.

That 1998 Twin Cities tornado hit our house. I can and sometimes do spin a yarn about that day. I mused on Twitter a couple weeks ago that the power came back on later in the day that Sunday--a couple days later--thankfully preventing us from watching David Wells perfect-game the Twins.

Looks pretty sweet for the original Big 10 footprint, for temps at least.
I know I'm still very much in the minority but I will continue to rather have our winters if I don't have to deal with the heat the south sees.

The last year I lived in North Carolina saw nearly 100 days with a high temp of 90+. I don't mind the heat for a week or something but week after week was just too much.

I know I'm still very much in the minority but I will continue to rather have our winters if I don't have to deal with the heat the south sees.

The last year I lived in North Carolina saw nearly 100 days with a high temp of 90+. I don't mind the heat for a week or something but week after week was just too much.
I don't mind some winter, but this past one was brutal in terms of total snow (might have got to Top 5 in the record book) and how long it lasted, 5+ months.

I can handle reasonable snow, but the amount and frequency wreaked havoc on just getting around the Twins Cities, not to mention shovel & plowing time. Uffda.

That was brutal, and my snowbird philosophy may have changed when I get to retirement.

We're due for some prolonged ideal weather. The past 2 weekends have been a good start.

The smoke blanketing NYC now I’d freaky and intense; yesterday we had the world’s worst air quality -today us about the same l, but worse where I live (I live in the middle section of NYC - we weren’t affected by Sandy at all).

Today -

Was hazy in the hallway of my building.

It looks apocalyptic outside, with the lovely smell of burnt wood wafting through the air.

A plurality of people outside are wearing masks as well; the particulates On-The-Go air are small and extremely unhealthy to breathe in.

Will be interesting to see if the Yankeegame gets rescheduled, as this is supposed to clear out over the weekend.

I’m not a Twitter, but the pics about this abound on the net.

The smoke blanketing NYC now I’d freaky and intense; yesterday we had the world’s worst air quality -today us about the same l, but worse where I live (I live in the middle section of NYC - we weren’t affected by Sandy at all).

Today -

Was hazy in the hallway of my building.

It looks apocalyptic outside, with the lovely smell of burnt wood wafting through the air.

A plurality of people outside are wearing masks as well; the particulates On-The-Go air are small and extremely unhealthy to breathe in.

Will be interesting to see if the Yankeegame gets rescheduled, as this is supposed to clear out over the weekend.

I’m not a Twitter, but the pics about this abound on the net.
There's reports of Air Quality Index (AQI) over 300 in a few places in central NY. Anything 300+ is considered hazardous to everyone. Yikes.

Last edited:

There's reports of Air Quality Index (AQI) over 300 in a few places in central NY. Anything 300+ is considered hazardous to everyone. Yikes.

Than

Thanks for the photos - I’m not a Mennonite, but I’m close 😃

Most outdoor games were canceled in central NY yesterday and yesterday it got up to 189 per my iPhone weather App and right now it’s at 324 in Queens where I live, per this site -

I literally feel a headache coming on and light headed. Film at 11.

Than

Thanks for the photos - I’m not a Mennonite, but I’m close 😃

Most outdoor games were canceled in central NY yesterday and yesterday it got up to 189 per my iPhone weather App and right now it’s at 324 in Queens where I live, per this site -

I literally feel a headache coming on and light headed. Film at 11.
Who knew that the smoky taste in my mouth would drive a craving for BBQ - maybe at some point we’ll all be BBQing together outside since this is real and not just a hoax.

A month of this over every town from seas to shining sea might flip the narrative: as Winnie said, “You can count on America to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other possibilities.”

It was Churchill and not Pooh for those of you playing at home; however, both are English.

Who knew that the smoky taste in my mouth would drive a craving for BBQ - maybe at some point we’ll all be BBQing together outside since this is real and not just a hoax.

A month of this over every town from seas to shining sea might flip the narrative: as Winnie said, “You can count on America to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other possibilities.”

It was Churchill and not Pooh for those of you playing at home; however, both are English.

What are you rambling about? What does America have to do with Canadian wildfires?

What are you rambling about? What does America have to do with Canadian wildfires?
NYC has the worst air in the world 🌎 - it came from 🇨🇦.

Do you understand the correlation now?

Climate change doesn’t respect geographic boundaries 🤦‍♂️.

We’ve already established you don’t have a major in geography. What about science? How does any science academia you’ve acquired compare to Nobel Laureates (you know those intellectual lightweights😉) who are labeled as climate change alarmists, gor sounding the alarm ⏰ on it.

I don’t have any academic credentials, but enough 🐴 sense and humility to listen to the experts who are credentialed in those fields.

Crystal clear?

Last edited:

NYC has the worst air in the world 🌎 - it came from 🇨🇦.

Do you understand the correlation now?

Climate change doesn’t respect geographic boundaries 🤦‍♂️.

We’ve already established you don’t have a major in geography. What about science? How does any science academia you’ve acquired compare to Nobel Laureates (you know those intellectual lightweights😉) climate change alarmists.

I don’t have any academic credentials, but enough 🐴 sense and humility to listen to the experts who are credentialed in those fields.

Crystal clear?

I have a degree in both, and am very much credentialed on this subject.

But ok, blame the smoke in NYC from Canadian wildfires on America. You sound smart.

Top Bottom