All Things Weather

I have a degree in both, and am very much credentialed on this subject.

But ok, blame the smoke in NYC from Canadian wildfires on America. You sound smart.

Damn, I should’ve said underwater baskets weaving and you’d have a degree in that 2😉

Just like you’re a basketball 🏀 expert as well😉
But ok, blame the smoke in NYC from Canadian wildfires on America. You sound smart.
America 🇺🇸, is one of the biggest polluters in the world. And historically America is the only country which can effect/influence positive multilateral global change (get it) and has abdicated that leadership role on this issue , so yes we’re involved in it, here let me use a biology term to break it down for you (analogously), it’s the ⭕️ of life; it’s all connected.

Last edited:

Damn, I should’ve said underwater baskets weaving and you’d have a degree in that 2😉

Just like you’re a basketball 🏀 expert as well😉

America 🇺🇸, is one of the biggest polluters in the world. And historically America is the only country which can effect/influence positive multilateral global change (get it) and has abdicated that leadership role on this issue , so yes we’re involved in it, here let me use a biology term to break it down for you (analogously), it’s the ⭕️ of life; it’s all connected.

I do know a lot about basketball, and I'm pretty well connected to multiple programs better than the Gophers.

The US pollutes at less than half the rate as China, but the wildfire smoke situation in NYC has nothing to do with man made climate change.

This thread is weather specific, as are the wildfires. If you're seeking a much needed education about climate change, I'm happy to educate you on the off topic board.

I do know a lot about basketball, and I'm pretty well connected to multiple programs better than the Gophers.

The US pollutes at less than half the rate as China, but the wildfire smoke situation in NYC has nothing to do with man made climate change.
I said we were one of the biggest polluters. I didn’t say we were number one.
This thread is weather specific, as are the wildfires. If you're seeking a much needed education about climate change, I'm happy to educate you on the off topic board.
Agree to disagree and thanks for the offer, but I consider myself to be well informed on the subject matter, as a layman and get my information from credentialed non-anonymous sources - a s I don’t Use any other social media than this -which is simply a free outlet.

If only you would have watched this in your formative years -

Last edited:

Also I do need to apologize, as I dug in harder than I should have; for all I know you could be Stephen Hawking reincarnated or Brick Tamlin.

I’m a little sensitive to it’s it’s effecting me, which always sucks, and it’s much more intense than I imagined something like this would be - I also came down with pneumonia this past winter, so I’m uber cautious about my lungs 🫁.

I’ll still give u 💩, but strive no to cross that line, Kristi😉

Big ole cutoff low is what is circulating the smoke. The air looks better in NYC today but worse in places like DC. A more progressive jet stream will kick this low out to sea this weekend and start keeping the smoke up north next week.

Last edited:

@GopherWeatherGuy Was there a drought of some sort in eastern Canada this winter? Seems like there should be nearly zero chance of Canadian forest fires happening this time of year, where the snow has just melted and everything is green. Come August or September, sure, but having them start in May seems a bit unreal to me. Does this bode really bad in terms of forest fires coming late fall?

@GopherWeatherGuy Was there a drought of some sort in eastern Canada this winter? Seems like there should be nearly zero chance of Canadian forest fires happening this time of year, where the snow has just melted and everything is green. Come August or September, sure, but having them start in May seems a bit unreal to me. Does this bode really bad in terms of forest fires coming late fall?

Canada was similar to MN/WI where they had plenty of snow, but after it melted, it has been warm and dry. There is always a period of high fire danger in the spring after the snowmelt with left over leaves/brush from the winter and before the growing season really gets going. Around here that is April into the first half of May, and that far north it shifts more into May/early June.

Here's a good video showing the lightning that caused these fires in Quebec.

Blocking highs/lows have been more strong and persistent this spring than usual, but it is still pretty typical to see this pattern for a week or two this time of the year. I used to take a storm chase vacation at the end of May, and cutoff low's or blocking highs were always a concern when planning for that.

Overall, this situation is just a perfect setup of lightning sparking the fires, then the smoke getting caught up in a large, cutoff low.

I'm not concerned about later this summer yet, but there will always be fires. Drought is not bad across most of Canada now, and the pattern will change to a more stormier pattern over the next few weeks. El Nino has arrived, which typically leads to a more stormier pattern as well.

Canada was similar to MN/WI where they had plenty of snow, but after it melted, it has been warm and dry. There is always a period of high fire danger in the spring after the snowmelt with left over leaves/brush from the winter and before the growing season really gets going. Around here that is April into the first half of May, and that far north it shifts more into May/early June.

Here's a good video showing the lightning that caused these fires in Quebec.

Blocking highs/lows have been more strong and persistent this spring than usual, but it is still pretty typical to see this pattern for a week or two this time of the year. I used to take a storm chase vacation at the end of May, and cutoff low's or blocking highs were always a concern when planning for that.

Overall, this situation is just a perfect setup of lightning sparking the fires, then the smoke getting caught up in a large, cutoff low.

I'm not concerned about later this summer yet, but there will always be fires. Drought is not bad across most of Canada now, and the pattern will change to a more stormier pattern over the next few weeks. El Nino has arrived, which typically leads to a more stormier pattern as well.
Thanks for the detailed response. Per Twitter, it was started by aliens taking out NY in a smog cloud. Nice to see some science applied to the situation. :clap:

This is what a lot of people don't understand. These fires aren't that unusual. This wasn't caused by climate change or humans at all. It's naturally happens sometimes. And it ended up being the perfect set-up to bring all that smoke south to places that normally wouldn't see it.

We've received just 1/8" of rain in our area since the last week of April and is repeating a cycle of the last three (3) years. It's panic time once again for the farmers in the area.

I have a fascination with storms and tornadoes, as long as nobody is hurt and the roof stays on the house, of course. We had two (2) thunderstorms for all of 2022 and have yet to have a single one this year.

Growing up, it seemed like 3 - 4 times per week in the Summer, there would be storms that would build up between 3:00pm - 8:00pm from the daytime heat and then blow through before nightfall.

Where are my damn thunderstorms??? 😡

We've received just 1/8" of rain in our area since the last week of April and is repeating a cycle of the last three (3) years. It's panic time once again for the farmers in the area.

I have a fascination with storms and tornadoes, as long as nobody is hurt and the roof stays on the house, of course. We had two (2) thunderstorms for all of 2022 and have yet to have a single one this year.

Growing up, it seemed like 3 - 4 times per week in the Summer, there would be storms that would build up between 3:00pm - 8:00pm from the daytime heat and then blow through before nightfall.

The official reports won't be tabulated for a few more months, but I can't imagine a Minnesota spring with fewer severe weather reports.

Since May 1st, the north metro has been especially dry, with only about an inch of precip since then. The south metro has been somewhat better with 2-4" common. Then you have SW Brown County with 9-13".

1686845514750.png

This is what a lot of people don't understand. These fires aren't that unusual. This wasn't caused by climate change or humans at all. It's naturally happens sometimes. And it ended up being the perfect set-up to bring all that smoke south to places that normally wouldn't see it.

And because Canada lets their fires burn in sparsely populated areas, as they should, they will continue until mother nature puts them out. Unfortunately that will cause smoke around here every time a piece of the jet comes south.

We went from our two wettest years ever in 2018 and 2019, to 3 dry years since, which really isn't that surprising with 3 years of La Nina.

The water is very warm, very early this year. The interesting thing is that after a month with a very weak jet stream across the US, we now have a very strong subtropical jet across the southern US, which is odd for this time of the year. It looks more like March/April.

That has been what is causing the severe weather across the south this week, but it will also keep any hurricane development suppressed.

It looks like the jet will shift to a more typical June pattern next week and start developing more severe thunderstorms across the northern plains. That should keep the smoke in Canada though.

The water is very warm, very early this year. The interesting thing is that after a month with a very weak jet stream across the US, we now have a very strong subtropical jet across the southern US, which is odd for this time of the year. It looks more like March/April.

That has been what is causing the severe weather across the south this week, but it will also keep any hurricane development suppressed.

It looks like the jet will shift to a more typical June pattern next week and start developing more severe thunderstorms across the northern plains. That should keep the smoke in Canada though.
I’ll take some thunderstorms for sure. It’s so dry here in Wisconsin as well.

I believe this is the furthest east in the Atlantic in June that a tropical storm has formed.

The official reports won't be tabulated for a few more months, but I can't imagine a Minnesota spring with fewer severe weather reports.

Since May 1st, the north metro has been especially dry, with only about an inch of precip since then. The south metro has been somewhat better with 2-4" common. Then you have SW Brown County with 9-13".
YTD Tornado warnings issued by forecast office: 2022 vs. 2023

1687230487792.png

Not sure if this is really weather related, but Venus looks amazing right now near the crescent Moon at dusk in the western sky.
The Venus/crescent Moon thing tonight is again pretty spectacular.

On the downside, days will now start getting shorter. Bummer.

I witnessed this 8.96 inch Berwyn, IL rainfall total in person. Biblical.

Yikes. I’m here in MN for the week but know back at home in WI we finally got rain of around an inch. That’s more than we got all of June.

Yikes. I’m here in MN for the week but know back at home in WI we finally got rain of around an inch. That’s more than we got all of June.
Whatever the pattern was, it certainly improved the air quality in Wisconsin. My whole drive down last Thursday felt like it was in one big smoke cloud starting in about Tomah all the way to the Illinois border.

The way back on Monday, was vastly improved, barely noticeable.

Last edited:

@GopherWeatherGuy any recommendations of a place I can find what the radar looked like in an area in the past, like 12-24 hrs ago? Or even the ability to go back further to a specific timeframe?

@GopherWeatherGuy any recommendations of a place I can find what the radar looked like in an area in the past, like 12-24 hrs ago? Or even the ability to go back further to a specific timeframe?

NOAA has an archive here, the resolution leaves some to be desired though

Iowa St also has a nice site

Last edited:

Death Valley may approach 130 this weekend. 134 is technically the record for highest temp ever recorded but it was from 1913 so many question it. The highest reliable record is 130 so could see a possible tie or record. Possibility of multiple nights of a low not dipping below 100 too.

It's a place I would love to visit sometime. I believe the golf course there stays open all year no matter what.

Last edited:

Death Valley may approach 130 this weekend. 134 is technically the record for highest temp ever recorded but it was from 1913 so many question it. The highest reliable record is 130 so could see a possible tie or record. Possibility of multiple nights of a low not dipping below 100 too.

It's a place I would love to visit sometime.
I have driven through on my way from LA to Vegas. All I remember was a giant thermometer.

Top Bottom