All Things Weather

not over yet. river dipped in Windom over the weekend, but it's coming up again as water from the North works down the river. new forecast is predicting a possible crest of 26-feet on Wednesday. at that level, a lot of homes and businesses are going to be flooded.

the previous record was 24.7 feet, which was surpassed this morning. now at 24.74 feet.

in the Heron Lake area, it's a real mess. and Jackson, MN is facing a similar situation. down in Iowa, Spencer IA is almost completely flooded.

I'm just hunkered down. damn glad I bought a house up on the hill. before I bought this one, I looked at a house on River Road. as you can guess from the name, it's next to the river.
Gotta be one big water hazard at the golf course.

So far this year is seems to be shaping up a lot like 1993. No 90° days, wet with summer river flooding, little severe weather.

Reusse who has written about the Dukes I am sure at least a dozen times through the years wrote about the Cannon flooding issues.

They hope to be ready for action by July 7. I wish them luck.

Story is from back in March but this is still pretty wild. Ranchers in Colorado were sentenced after tampering with rain gauges to increase amount of subsidies they got for lack of rain.

Two southeastern Colorado ranch owners were recently sentenced to pay $6.6 million to resolve federal charges that they damaged or altered rain gauges in an effort to get paid for worsening drought conditions.

By preventing the rain gauges from accurately measuring precipitation, the men aimed to increase the amount of money they could receive from the federal government, according to court documents.
Federal crop insurance is typically sold through private insurance companies who are subsequently reimbursed by the federal government. The Rainfall Index plan covers annual crops and "is focused on the amount of precipitation, not on actual crop production," as described by prosecutors in a case document. "This means that a farmer can receive a payment when precipitation is below the historical normal level even if the relevant farmland suffers no loss in productivity."

Jager filed claims on the falsified lower precipitation measurements, thereby increasing the benefits received from his crop insurance policy. In return for their rain gauge activities, Esch and the two unidentified co-conspirators received payouts, as outlined in the plea agreements.

I think it will be ok, for the football playing surface. Water receded 2 weeks ago and it looks like they are working on getting it good to go by fall, aerating and topdressing.

The football practice and soccer fields on the other side of the west gym I am not as sure of the time frame. It took a lot longer for the river to recede to the banks there and the sod looks really trashed. Might have to find temporary space on the south side of Hwy 19, where most of the campus is.

Last edited:

Laird Stadium at Carleton College.

View attachment 31961
Update from Northfield News, Laird should be good to go by Carleton Knights Home Opener, Sept 21.

Soccer and football practice are being relocated.

It’s not the heat that gets you, it’s the corn sweat

Just read Phoenix hit 100 degrees for the 100th day in a row?! Is that correct? Dang!
giphy.gif

Just read Phoenix hit 100 degrees for the 100th day in a row?! Is that correct? Dang!

Wouldn't mind a break into the 90s, but it's really not bad. People don't believe me, but as an adult I've lived 5 years in San Diego, 17 years in Minneapolis and now 3.5 years in Phoenix and both my wife and I agree we'll take the year round weather all in in Phoenix over San Diego and Minneapolis. I absolutely love having so much sun and blue skies, nearly double the number of days of blue skies than San Diego. And once we dip below 95 degrees, we start the best 6-8 months of the year.

Obviously those that hate heat won't like it and I get that, but we spent the weekend in Tulsa for my son's tennis tournament and it was like 80% humidity...no thanks.

I didn't realize how much we'd come to appreciate blue skies every day until we moved here, and the cliche of it being a "dry heat" is real. The nights here in the summer are fantastic (no mosquitos, no humidity, a little breeze) and the mornings are great as well.

Go Sunshine!!

Last edited:

Wouldn't mind a break into the 90s, but it's really not bad. People don't believe me, but as an adult I've lived 5 years in San Diego, 17 years in Minneapolis and now 3.5 years in Phoenix and both my wife and I agree we'll take the year round weather all in in Phoenix over San Diego and Minneapolis. I absolutely love having so much sun and blue skies, nearly double the number of days of blue skies than San Diego. And once we dip below 95 degrees, we start the best 6-8 months of the year.

Obviously those that hate heat won't like it and I get that, but we spent the weekend in Tulsa for my son's tennis tournament and it was like 80% humidity...no thanks.

I didn't realize how much we'd come to appreciate blue skies every day until we moved here, and the cliche of it being a "dry heat" is real. The nights here in the summer are fantastic (no mosquitos, no humidity, a little breeze) and the mornings are great as well.

Go Sunshine!!

I'll take the dry heat any day of the week. And when the sun goes down, and the temp still says triple digits, it just feels kind of warm; a nice feeling really.

I hate PHX though, Bleed. It's typically 6-8 degrees hotter than Vegas, it's so much bigger than Vegas and more traffic, and honestly I think the people in PHX are rude as f*ck. I'll give PHX one thing, January and February are a lot better in PHX than Vegas.

At the end of the day, I've lived in a few places and I've come to the conclusion that no place is perfect, and just about every place is livable if you have the means and opportunity to get away a few times a year. Summer is hot here, sure, but I bust out 2-3 times and boom, it's over. I spent the last 5 days chilling here in Flagstaff but heading back home this afternoon

Nothing beats a Midwest fall. I love having the four seasons.

I know many people really like Phoenix and LV. My sister has lived both places. Other than the mountains, I find the landscape ugly. Give me trees and grass.

Nothing beats a Midwest fall. I love having the four seasons.

I know many people really like Phoenix and LV. My sister has lived both places. Other than the mountains, I find the landscape ugly. Give me trees and grass.
I felt the same as well until we really got out into the AZ desert on our ATV. Its far from ugly! Its amazing, very interesting and the landscape and foilage changes with every turn. You can see for miles. And there is water where you least expect it! Unlike here in NW Wisconsin where its basically solid trees with a few hills, when you can see them.

I felt the same as well until we really got out into the AZ desert on our ATV. Its far from ugly! Its amazing, very interesting and the landscape and foilage changes with every turn. You can see for miles. And there is water where you least expect it! Unlike here in NW Wisconsin where its basically solid trees with a few hills, when you can see them.
For sure. There's some beautiful areas. I was more talking about around the city.

For sure. There's some beautiful areas. I was more talking about around the city.

There's beauty everywhere, if you're willing to look. I'm a big believer of "When in Rome..." In the desert here, I do a shitload of cycling and more and more golf, etc.

If I were to move back up to the midwest, I would buy toys like 4-wheelers and snowmobiles and get back into ice fishing and darkhouse spearing. Whatever they do where you happen to be, that's kinda what you gotta do

anchorman-when-in-rome.gif

Freeze warnings in the boundary waters. It's coming (after this next warm up)!

1725641496993.png

Watching weather Channel with hurricane Francine. Surprise - last second it intensified to cat 2.

BTW, Jim Cantore doesn't hold onto trees for support, trees hold onto Jim Cantore.

Top Bottom