All Things Weather

Weather pattern looks to be pretty active the next couple of weeks.

I do think it will be a warmer than average winter, the majority of El Nino's are. Where I've disagreed with others is that I think it will be slightly above average snowfall as well. I don't think winter will really get going until January, and then we'll see above average snowfall Jan-Apr.

Snowfall during El Nino winters is much harder to predict. Typically they are drier, but we have had some very snowy El Nino winters as well.

I posted this in the OTB climate thread in response to @Full Speed Ahead's question on November 16th, and so far we are pretty much on track. It's going to be interesting to see how much snow we get this month, and the rest of the winter.

The pattern is changing and it's going to stay that way for awhile.

I posted this in the OTB climate thread in response to @Full Speed Ahead's question on November 16th, and so far we are pretty much on track. It's going to be interesting to see how much snow we get this month, and the rest of the winter.

The pattern is changing and it's going to stay that way for awhile.
Bring it

giphy.gif

I'm fine with precip. Just want the temp to happen to be above freezing the entire time its raining. :)

F snow.
F ice.

I kinda feel bad for meteorologists now days. We had a nice storm here in Wisconsin yesterday. The responses on social media for the NWS and local guys was brutal. People are just mean. For most of the area the forecast was dead on. But for a small portion they didn't get as much snow as expected. It was a tricky storm with temps around 33-34 all day and the warm Lake Michigan.

One of the meteorologists from the local station had a lady respond that in her area they were going to get less than 2 inches but school was called off. He made sure to go back to that post at the end of the day to let her know her city actually received 12 inches. I got a kick out of it.

The models predicted this one really well. But it's not perfect. People are so ignorant and ridiculous with their expectations sometimes.

I kinda feel bad for meteorologists now days. We had a nice storm here in Wisconsin yesterday. The responses on social media for the NWS and local guys was brutal. People are just mean. For most of the area the forecast was dead on. But for a small portion they didn't get as much snow as expected. It was a tricky storm with temps around 33-34 all day and the warm Lake Michigan.

One of the meteorologists from the local station had a lady respond that in her area they were going to get less than 2 inches but school was called off. He made sure to go back to that post at the end of the day to let her know her city actually received 12 inches. I got a kick out of it.

The models predicted this one really well. But it's not perfect. People are so ignorant and ridiculous with their expectations sometimes.
It's popular to joke about meteorologists being wrong all the time, but the reality is they are actually really damn good at what they do when you consider all the variables involved.

It's popular to joke about meteorologists being wrong all the time, but the reality is they are actually really damn good at what they do when you consider all the variables involved.
Yeah I see it all the time "If I was as wrong as they are all the time, I'd be fired". Well they're right most of the time for one. It's just that most people don't notice unless they do get it wrong. And secondly most jobs don't require you to predict the future.

It will finally be necessary to break out the big coats this week-end.

We're gonna get another big storm here Friday into Saturday. 6+ inches. Then brutal cold.

I wish we had this weather a weak earlier so we could be going on our ice fishing trip this weekend.

These were happening all around the area yesterday. Very cool.

IMG_3014.jpeg

Can we bring back global warming...I'm freezing.
You do realize that the result of global warming is the next Ice Age? Dennis Quaid has all the data.

My dog looked at me this morning and gave me the "you effing go outside to pee, a-hole" look.

It’s such a midwestern thing to be mad that you get less snow than predicted. I am thrilled when they say 10 inches and it’s only a couple of inches. (That’s what she said)

It’s such a midwestern thing to be mad that you get less snow than predicted. I am thrilled when they say 10 inches and it’s only a couple of inches. (That’s what she said)
It seems the bulk of the complaints are when schools close and things are canceled and then it isn’t that bad. I get the frustration but these people don’t understand how difficult it is to predict snowfall totals, especially with these very complex storms. They’re the same people that would be bitching if they don’t predict a lot and it ends up being really bad.

Got our first snow of the year yesterday. Not much about an inch, followed by around a quarter of an inch of freezing rain. Stopped most everything here in Eugene. Current temp at 10 am is 22 F. Should be over by Wednesday. Then back in the 50s. Women's basketball game is still going to be played today, just without spectators.

We have tickets for Chicago today, that will be cancelled.

Attachments

• Jan 14 2024 snow and ice.jpg
    Jan 14 2024 snow and ice.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

January 14, 2019, another El Nino winter where we had no snow. Then came the snowiest February on record.
1000002199.jpg

To date in the Twin Cities, the airport has had just 11 cumulative inches of snow DEPTH for the season. This is t-2nd lowest all time with 1960-61, behind the 8 inches of 2002-03.

By contrast, the most to this point in the season was not surprisingly 1991-92 with 799 inches.

2003 did not have a day exceeding 2 inches until January 31, and 1961 did not have one until February 18th.

I wore my winter coat for the first time (this winter) today. Hate wearing all that extra bulk.

To date in the Twin Cities, the airport has had just 11 cumulative inches of snow DEPTH for the season. This is t-2nd lowest all time with 1960-61, behind the 8 inches of 2002-03.

By contrast, the most to this point in the season was not surprisingly 1991-92 with 799 inches.

2003 did not have a day exceeding 2 inches until January 31, and 1961 did not have one until February 18th.
799 inches eh 😎

I wore my winter coat for the first time (this winter) today. Hate wearing all that extra bulk.
I went on a hike last weekend. It was -4 below when I got out of my car.

I had long johns, fleece sweatpants, and snow pants on. I also wore a sweatshirt, the lining from an old winter coat and my new winter coat. Electric gloves (Christmas gift...they work). Facemask stocking cap to round it out. I was very, very toasty. I imagine you would have really hated wearing all of that.

Top Bottom