All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Thanks. Not a gamer either. Think it's a pass then.
Not a gamer either.

Just binged it this weekend and loved every moment of it.

Each episode is very tight, but you have to have a bit of suspension of disbelief through the whole thing.

Season 2 started filing In February and I’m looking forward to seeing that.

I was sort of middle of the road on the Seinfeld finale, not as good a lot of the best episodes but I do remember appreciating all the call backs. I have not seen it since it aired originally though, as I don't think it's included in the syndication packages.

Somehow Mocha Joe will be involved I am sure.
I watched the finale the other day. All you have to do, if you have is record the whole series and it will pop up before you know it.

The Seinfeld Finale wound up on Comedy Central last week so I DVRd it and watched yesterday. It was pretty much as I remembered, lots of regular episodes/story arcs that were much better but I still liked it for an ending. Lots of LOL moments.

I do appreciate how Curb called back on it.

The Seinfeld Finale wound up on Comedy Central last week so I DVRd it and watched yesterday. It was pretty much as I remembered, lots of regular episodes/story arcs that were much better but I still liked it for an ending. Lots of LOL moments.

I do appreciate how Curb called back on it.

Thanks got the update.

Just finished "HIJACK" on Apple, with Idris Elba. I'm an Elba fan, I like a lot of the stuff he's done; I really liked the "Luther" series, I forget if it was on Prime or Netflix?

I have to admit, I thought it was pretty damn good. I was waiting for a point where it would falter and start to go downhill but it never happened, at least not for me. I'd give it two thumbs up, we liked it. Only 7 episodes long, so it was easy to knock out without a massive time commitment

Just finished "HIJACK" on Apple, with Idris Elba. I'm an Elba fan, I like a lot of the stuff he's done; I really liked the "Luther" series, I forget if it was on Prime or Netflix?

I have to admit, I thought it was pretty damn good. I was waiting for a point where it would falter and start to go downhill but it never happened, at least not for me. I'd give it two thumbs up, we liked it. Only 7 episodes long, so it was easy to knock out without a massive time commitment
Is it done like the '24' show where it follows the story minute by minute? 7 episodes and it says it's about a 7 hour flight.

Is it done like the '24' show where it follows the story minute by minute? 7 episodes and it says it's about a 7 hour flight.

No. I thought that might be the case going in but no. I mean I'm sure there's some intention that it roughly follows that timeline, 7 hours of programming, 7 hour flight, but there's no point in the show I can remember where it tries to make that connection

If you're into science fiction, I'm a few episodes into 3 Body Problem on Netflix. So far it's pretty good.

If you didn't watch Elsbeth during its CBS run, I suggest you watch it.

It is a howdunit in the style of Columbo and Poker Face from the producers of The Good Wife.

Carrie Preston reprises her goofy but effective attorney from those shows, and Wendell Pierce is always worth watching.

Also, it is worth watching for the "Guest murderer of the week".

If you didn't watch Elsbeth during its CBS run, I suggest you watch it.

It is a howdunit in the style of Columbo and Poker Face from the producers of The Good Wife.

Carrie Preston reprises her goofy but effective attorney from those shows, and Wendell Pierce is always worth watching.

Also, it is worth watching for the "Guest murderer of the week".

Thanks, I’m down for anything with The Bunk in it.

Any good Peacock original shows or movies worth watching now that I took advantage of the 1 year subscription for $19.99?

Any good Peacock original shows or movies worth watching now that I took advantage of the 1 year subscription for $19.99?

I pretty much only use Peacock to watch cycling events like the Tour de France, the Paris-Roubaix, and La Vuelta, but that's not for everyone obviously. They carry a lot of cycling events and other less main stream sporting events though.

they have a show "The Continental" that is a spin-off from the John Wick franchise. and I have heard that Poker Face is a good show - about a female detective.

otherwise I think a lot of people use Peacock to watch older shows like The Office and Parks & Recreation. plus they have most of the NBC shows.

Remember,
I pretty much only use Peacock to watch cycling events like the Tour de France, the Paris-Roubaix, and La Vuelta, but that's not for everyone obviously. They carry a lot of cycling events and other less main stream sporting events though.
Peacock will have all the Olympic events.

Two episodes into The Acolyte. I don't understand the terrible reviews it's gotten so far.

I know the lead actress can be considered controversial by some (she's an outspoken feminist) but it seems people are going out of their way to give bad reviews of the show just because of the actress.

Edit: See multiple articles stating this is the result of people review bombing the show. Get a life people.

Last edited:

Two episodes into The Acolyte. I don't understand the terrible reviews it's gotten so far.

I know the lead actress can be considered controversial by some (she's an outspoken feminist) but it seems people are going out of their way to give bad reviews of the show just because of the actress.

Edit: See multiple articles stating this is the result of people review bombing the show. Get a life people.

Look, people can have legitimate criticisms about a TV show or movie, based on the writing, direction, acting, etc. and some of the criticisms of the Acolyte are, I think, valid. some of the characters are written in a way that just doesn't make sense to me. I would give the show so far a B- grade - passing, but could be better.

But - with any Star Wars property, there is a different level to the criticism. Star Wars hard-core fans have this proprietary attitude toward any new project - and if that project does not meet their personal satisfaction, they take it as some kind of personal affront - hence the phrase "This is not My Star Wars."

and then there is the bottom level - the people who criticize any project that has a strong female lead, or has any type of LGBTQ material as "woke" - and in their eyes, woke is bad. the common line is "the creators are forcing their political views down my throat."

Clipped has been weirder and better than I anticipated, apart from his beloved racist tropes. Doc Rivers consulted on it and it is based on a book by bucket 🪣 writer Ramona Shelbourne.

Weirder = Sterling’s approach to life in general. Doesn’t seem like a happy camper, in general, and in my experience that can lead to all kinds of wackiness. The Beatles song, “Money can’t buy you Love,” always resonates when I see unhappy well yo do folks.

Better = Basketball stuff feels authentic and Lawrence Fishbourne is a good embodiment of Rivers. Even the basketball scenes on the court are reasonable enough, not to distract from the larger story itself.

Ed O’Neill’s petulance is firstly rate and I give it a solid B through three episodes.

and then there is the bottom level - the people who criticize any project that has a strong female lead, or has any type of LGBTQ material as "woke" - and in their eyes, woke is bad. the common line is "the creators are forcing their political views down my throat."

Uhhhh, there's quite a massive gap between "a strong female lead" and a heavy thrusting of LGBTSWXPOTE down your throat. Being present is one thing, and most reasonable people will say little to nothing about that; having it hammered relentlessly throughout the product is another thing altogether.

A personal criticism is just that; a personal criticism. Too dark/heavy, too much bad language, too much violence, not enough violence, bad script, bad acting, bad casting, and yes, too woke.

I'm not sure why someone isn't allowed to have that opinion just like all the others I listed? Are we REALLY that far down that road that it's that inexcusable to have a different opinion on that kind of subject matter?

No. I thought that might be the case going in but no. I mean I'm sure there's some intention that it roughly follows that timeline, 7 hours of programming, 7 hour flight, but there's no point in the show I can remember where it tries to make that connection

Man, I had forgotten the name of that series already when someone asked me about what I had seen recently. I still liked HiJack a lot, thought it was well done and as I said, I'm a big Idris Elba fan. LOVED his series "LUTHER", by the way. I think that is on Amazon Prime. Great show

We just finished "Sugar" on Apple TV. I'm a big Colin Ferrell fan, thought it would be good, and I honestly can't say I would recommend it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great, and the ending was just completely off the wall. All in all, I would have to say it was pretty disappointing as a whole.

Has anyone else started watching "Presumed Innocent" on Apple TV?

The old Harrison Ford movie was just outstanding, one of my favorites. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone. I am fully aware going in that it will be hard for the series to stack up. They kept a lot of the names the same and the same general premise.

Uhhhh, there's quite a massive gap between "a strong female lead" and a heavy thrusting of LGBTSWXPOTE down your throat. Being present is one thing, and most reasonable people will say little to nothing about that; having it hammered relentlessly throughout the product is another thing altogether.

A personal criticism is just that; a personal criticism. Too dark/heavy, too much bad language, too much violence, not enough violence, bad script, bad acting, bad casting, and yes, too woke.

I'm not sure why someone isn't allowed to have that opinion just like all the others I listed? Are we REALLY that far down that road that it's that inexcusable to have a different opinion on that kind of subject matter?
Someone’s triggered…

Watching the 4th season of The Boys. I don't know, starting to wear me out. Reminds me of how weary Walking Dead became. Is this the last season?

Watching the 4th season of The Boys. I don't know, starting to wear me out. Reminds me of how weary Walking Dead became. Is this the last season?

Eric Kripke announced that next season (season 5) will be the last.

The June 20th episode might have been the best of the series.

I understand your point. and yes, all media criticism is personal, to an extent.

I was watching an episode of the new "Doctor Who" series, and in the show, there was a sequence where two men were dancing with each other and kissing. Now, for me, it was a little too much. I thought they could have gotten the point across with a more subtle approach. but I didn't go online and call for the show to be cancelled or give it a 0-star review on Rotten Tomatoes. that one sequence didn't ruin the show for me, because I can put it in context. and this is in a show where most of the episode involved shape-shifting aliens stealing human's bodies.

so the question comes down to - was that a story-telling choice by the writers, or were they trying to shove their politics down my throat? I choose to see it as a story-telling choice. and I choose to not get overly offended by it.

I think for me, that is different than saying I was offended by this, and you should be offended by it, too.

I don't disagree that they try way too hard sometimes and it's a bit annoying. But I don't really see it being that much of a thing with this series specifically so far 3 episodes in. There's a colony or group of only women but they're witches, so naturally they would be all women. It's there but I wouldn't label it to being even close to "hammered relentlessly".

Review bombing is where a group of people create multiple accounts and purposely give the lowest score possible on websites like imdb and rotten tomatoes. This series has seen significantly more reviews of any kind than any of the other much more popular Disney Star Wars series even though it just started.

Someone’s triggered…
uhhhh... okay....
Review bombing is where a group of people create multiple accounts and purposely give the lowest score possible on websites like imdb and rotten tomatoes. This series has seen significantly more reviews of any kind than any of the other much more popular Disney Star Wars series even though it just started.

Review bombing has been going on for both hard right and hard left for years, I don't think you're going to get past that, unfortunately. The extent of my efforts in offering my opinion stops at simply not watching.

That's why we come HERE!! To hear other posters' thoughts and opinions on shows and movies from people we're pretty damn sure are real people! Hallelujah! I've gotten good ideas on a number of shows or movies to watch here, what a beautiful thing!

so the question comes down to - was that a story-telling choice by the writers, or were they trying to shove their politics down my throat? I choose to see it as a story-telling choice. and I choose to not get overly offended by it.

I think this is a pretty easy one that you can answer for yourself, SON. If there's a portion of the story that needed those two characters to be identified as gay in order to support part of the storyline, then it was part of the story-telling by the writers; if not (which is most likely), then it was a conscious effort by the writers to infuse LGBT into the product. At this point in time, knowing how Hollywood works, it would not surprise me in the least that this type of writing is mandated to some extent. It would be hard to explain any other way really.

Enough thread hi-jacking for now.

Speaking of hijacking, did I mention that the Apple TV series "Hijack" with Idris Elba is a really good show by the way?!? ;):ROFLMAO:

uhhhh... okay....

Review bombing has been going on for both hard right and hard left for years, I don't think you're going to get past that, unfortunately. The extent of my efforts in offering my opinion stops at simply not watching.

That's why we come HERE!! To hear other posters' thoughts and opinions on shows and movies from people we're pretty damn sure are real people! Hallelujah! I've gotten good ideas on a number of shows or movies to watch here, what a beautiful thing!
I honestly didn't know it was a thing until now. I looked up the reviews because I was curious and was surprised the ratings were so low.

I honestly didn't know it was a thing until now. I looked up the reviews because I was curious and was surprised the ratings were so low.

I kinda stopped looking at things like Rotten Tomatoes a long time ago. I use my own set of criteria or benchmarks and just plain old gut feel to determine what I want to watch. It's usually solid, although that was one thing that disappointed me with "Sugar" on Apple. Disappointing to see Colin Ferrell in a let-down of a show.

The Star Wars franchise was founded on questionable social storylines and characters from the beginning:

1. Luke was the original "Who's your Daddy" kid abandoned by his father.

2. They introduced incestuous thoughts about what Luke was really thinking about Leia.

3. And then there's the concept of beastiality. What do we suppose Jabba would do with a scantily clad princess all chained up???

4. Chewy...why is it assumed it was of the male gender? It wore no pants...or jockstrap.

5. And why was R2-D2 shaped like a giant dildo, always vibrating and humming all over the place?

As for "The Acolyte", personally, I can relate to any character that finds women attractive. But, do we really need to make politically social statements for fans that really just want to see a great Sci Fi movie with crazy special effects? I think not...and neither did George Lucas.

Top Bottom