All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Preview Dexter Season 8: Behind the Scenes

Go Dexter Morgan!!
There's a series on Netflix starring Gillian Anderson called The Fall. It's also about a serial killer, but not in the same vein as Dexter. Gillian plays a detective hunting for him. Really intense and entertaining. (Apology if someone posted about it already.)

Dexter starts up again a week from Sunday. I can't wait. I think it will be a fun series to watch over in a few years.

Dexter starts up again a week from Sunday. I can't wait. I think it will be a fun series to watch over in a few years.

It definitely will. I think that like many shows (HIMYM comes to mind immediately), it has gone on for a few years too long, but I'm really excited to see how they end things now that we know it's the final season.

Anyone watch Carnivale on HBO? Is it worth watching?

I'm a little surprised no one's brought up the new Arrested Development episodes. Those that have seen them, what were your impressions? Overall, I thought they were really good. The original series is one of my all-time favorites, so I was really looking forward to the new ones. I can't say I was let down, but my expectations were really high. One critique is that I thought the jokes were too layered. The originals had a nice balance between running jokes and one-and-dones. I also thought the originals spread the jokes around more. The new ones seemed very George & Lucille heavy. Could have used more Buster and others. The highlight for me were the Gob episodes. Will Arnett is perfect in that role. Ann Veal may be my favorite secondary character.

Paging Bob Loblaw...

Carnivale

Anyone watch Carnivale on HBO? Is it worth watching?

I really liked Carnivale. It is slow paced though. If you like depression era, the supernatural, and quirky characters this is a show for you.

It's not as good as HBO's best shows: the wire, sopranos, 6 feet under, Rome, but probably right after that.

Eastbound and Down recently began airing in Finland. It's made me laugh a few times. I particularly enjoy Will Ferrell's character, Ashley Schaeffer.

Eastbound and Down recently began airing in Finland. It's made me laugh a few times. I particularly enjoy Will Ferrell's character, Ashley Schaeffer.

Season 4 is coming in the fall in America. I'm pretty sure that Kenny F()cking Powers hates Finland.

I started Scandal. It started slow, but I'm starting to like it.

I just cranked through all five seasons of Sons of Anarchy! Wow what a great show. I think it is going to enter my Top 5 all time.

The character development is about as good as I've seen on any show. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Go Gophers!!

We just started the new series on Showtime, Ray Donovan, which is right after Dexter. We're only one episode in (there's only been two) but so far so good. Seems to have some good potential.

Go Gophers!!

An episode and a half into Ray Donovan and we pulled the plug. Brutal acting early on and a storyline going nowhere.

Go Gophers!!

Hannibal was decent. It made me interested in seeing what else Mads Mikkelsen has done.

Had to run through almost this entire thread to see if it was mentioned, and it looks like it wasn't.

Has anyone tried "Magic City", which I think is running on Starz? If I'm not mistaken, this is season Two. It looks intriguing to me. I think it's about organized crime in Miami in the 60's, the owner of a bar who gets involved with the Mob, etc.

Anyone check it out? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

anyone seen the fall? creepy, and dana scully.

it's on netflix.

x-files is on netflix as well. watching the first series i am shocked at how short gillian anderson is.

Go Gophers!!

pedant alert!

any lit majors here? i have always thought that the stress on ozymandias was on the penult: aw-zee-man-DEE-us. here, brian cranston stresses the antepenult: aw-zee-MAN-dee-us. Which one is correct? i don't want to embarrass myself at cocktail parties.

anyone seen the fall? creepy, and dana scully.

it's on netflix.

x-files is on netflix as well. watching the first series i am shocked at how short gillian anderson is.

I have watched The Fall. Recommended it on a previous post. (Not sure if it was on this thread.) The serial killer in this series is about as anti Dexter as you can get. Creepy is right.

All caught up on Dexter and Trueblood. So I go to IMDB to look up Dr. Evelyn Vogel because I don't recognize her at all. On the right side of the page is advertising for a series on the Discovery Channel called......Amish Mafia. Are you kidding me? Like an idiot I decide to watch the preview. The Amish dude is walking towards the camera as a horse drawn buggy explodes behind him, ala Man On Fire. Oh my gosh.

East Bound & Down. Kenny F'ing Powers. Laugh out loud funny.

* May be offensive to some people & definitely not suitable for work.

Kenny Powers is funny. I haven't watched the most recent episodes yet.

Anyone ever watch Longmire? I'm on season 2, about the 4th episode. I like it. Seems like a little too much action goes on in his area, but I guess you need to have story lines.

Kenny Powers is funny. I haven't watched the most recent episodes yet.

Anyone ever watch Longmire? I'm on season 2, about the 4th episode. I like it. Seems like a little too much action goes on in his area, but I guess you need to have story lines.

Yes, we've enjoyed it since the first episode. Wonder who ran Cady off the road? Oh did you know that Robert Taylor, who plays Longmire is an Aussie? Didn't know until one of his fellow Aussie mentioned it on Craig Ferguson.

Yes, we've enjoyed it since the first episode. Wonder who ran Cady off the road? Oh did you know that Robert Taylor, who plays Longmire is an Aussie? Didn't know until one of his fellow Aussie mentioned it on Craig Ferguson.

No, had no idea. I wasn't familiar with him at all. Phillips of course, Sackhoff because of Battle Star Galactica, but knew nothing of Taylor. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0853079/?ref_=tt_ov_st

(Oh, I almost forgot. Walt's love interest is a former wife of Dennis Hopper.)

Larry David on the possibility of another season of Curb Your Enthusiasm:

"I have not [decided]. I don't know. I really don't know. I couldn't say. Ask me in six months ... I'm an indecisive fella -- it's a big decision to decide to do a season of that show. I don't take it lightly."

Hopefully he comes around - love the show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/larry-david-clear-history-jon-hamm_n_3655321.html

Go Gophers!!

I sure hope so. On a related note...."Clear History" (LD's HBO original film which premiered this weekend) was very good. Almost identical to CYE.

Had to run through almost this entire thread to see if it was mentioned, and it looks like it wasn't.

Has anyone tried "Magic City", which I think is running on Starz? If I'm not mistaken, this is season Two. It looks intriguing to me. I think it's about organized crime in Miami in the 60's, the owner of a bar who gets involved with the Mob, etc.

Anyone check it out? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

It's alright. I haven't found any Starz original shows to be very good. Really lag behind HBO and Showtime in terms of quality. I personally gave up on Magic City after a couple of episodes.

Did anyone watch the new episode of Breaking Bad on Sunday? Oh man, that last line floored me. This is going to get nasty.

Top Bottom