All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

It might go good- that's too early to tell. As of now, it's going badly. I think this staff can coach. I hope they get the guys they need. So far they have not been able to convince players that we had or those who we recruited. That is concerning. It can all change with an excellent 2022 class, but so far nothing there....

I cannot help but wonder about what type of players we would have brought in this summer had we gotten Musselman, or even a step down from there like Smith.

I would take the roster that Smith has assembled at Utah over what we have right now, except for Fox and Battle

This seems to be the universal, accepted thing among fans of the program.

They just don't care if a single player on the roster grew up in and/or went to high school in Minnesota. Or the coaches.

Win the games that we should win, be at least competitive in all other games, land some nice prospects, coach them well, play good, fundamentally solid basketball. That's what the fans want, and will pay for.

So then why was it billed as such a big deal that Ben was going to recruit Minn kids hard and that was one of the reasons he got the job?

??????!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
because there's been a lot of good players from MN that we've missed on and instead had teams that were lacking in talent as well as not being from here? probably didn't make the MN AAU coaches all to happy that they're 2nd and 3rd tier players were ending up elsewhere

probably didn't make the MN AAU coaches all to happy that they're 2nd and 3rd tier players were ending up elsewhere
Can you explain this more, please?

Are they expecting the Gophers to take those kids, over higher rated recruits from elsewhere, in order to be allowed to have "a real shot" at the 1st tier kids??

Doesn't pass the smell test for me, regardless if true.

I don't call it panic. People are simply stating either we think a player is going to another school or asking when someone will commit.

Also, do we have any predictions yet for any recruits for 22 who would be a MN lean?
Payne and Carrington are supposed to be Minnesota leans. Idk if Jameel Brown is a lean per se, but it might be down to us and Penn State for him.

Payne and Carrington are supposed to be Minnesota leans. Idk if Jameel Brown is a lean per se, but it might be down to us and Penn State for him.

thanks. I hope we get them, Payne specially as people were right in predicting he would blow up....he's definitely getting more attention.

I agree. I really dont care where the talent comes from. No I dont believe coyle. I can go into interview wanting a big paycheck and tell everyone I'll get the minnesota kids. Doesnt mean it will happen.
Coyle believed Ben, apparently.

Battle, Willis, Lowe, and Fox are very good transfers imo. Stephen’s is also a nice player. So it’s not like the staff hasn’t gotten competent players, but with where the roster was, I understand seeing how it’s bleak in many peoples eyes. It also seems like they are in a good spot for plenty of 2022 recruits. I think we still have at least top 150 kids by September. We will just have to see.
Willis? So Ben will get a lot more from him than rp?

Can you explain this more, please?

Are they expecting the Gophers to take those kids, over higher rated recruits from elsewhere, in order to be allowed to have "a real shot" at the 1st tier kids??

Doesn't pass the smell test for me, regardless if true.
If we were signing all top 100 guys, sure. That’s why I said both not from here and not good. Look at the signings in the 2019 class for example. To me it smells that Pitino swung (poorly) at the big fish, neglected the second tier in lieu of going out state and landing middling players or people that had offers that didn’t match their hype (Washington is an example in another class). If you’re signing all highly touted and winning, the concept of aau coaches being upset wouldn’t matter, but if you’re landing more mid tier talent then following it up sucking on the court, you’re going to have a bad time. You’ll notice I didn’t mention 247 sports ratings or whatever. I’m meaning how they’re viewed by talent evaluators and in basketball circles. Star ratings are for the fans, not the coaches

And all three would be fantastic pick ups.

Still in it with Holloman, Wolf, Watson, Lee (would they take him now?), Byrd, Dix, Knight.

Have to assume Ola-Joseph is on their radar and may be getting an offer at some point. Wonder if they are waiting to see what Watson does first.

If we were signing all top 100 guys, sure. That’s why I said both not from here and not good. Look at the signings in the 2019 class for example. To me it smells that Pitino swung (poorly) at the big fish, neglected the second tier in lieu of going out state and landing middling players or people that had offers that didn’t match their hype (Washington is an example in another class). If you’re signing all highly touted and winning, the concept of aau coaches being upset wouldn’t matter, but if you’re landing more mid tier talent then following it up sucking on the court, you’re going to have a bad time. You’ll notice I didn’t mention 247 sports ratings or whatever. I’m meaning how they’re viewed by talent evaluators and in basketball circles. Star ratings are for the fans, not the coaches
I see, fair enough thanks

And all three would be fantastic pick ups.

Still in it with Holloman, Wolf, Watson, Lee (would they take him now?), Byrd, Dix, Knight.

Have to assume Ola-Joseph is on their radar and may be getting an offer at some point. Wonder if they are waiting to see what Watson does first.
I know Watson has had a rough summer. Not saying they wouldn’t take him because I don’t know that, but he has struggled

I know Watson has had a rough summer. Not saying they wouldn’t take him because I don’t know that, but he has struggled
I’ve seen/read that as well. At least with him, there aren’t new schools entering the conversation after his performance this summer.

Not real fair comp as roles will be different and Willis is healthy. I expect Willis to be a very fine and competent B1G player like he was when he was here standing around watching the Carr show.
Didn’t care set a program record for assists that year?

Didn’t care set a program record for assists that year?
Sure, but had a ridiculously high usage rate and played 40 minutes in a system with tons of possessions per game cause they couldn’t defend at a high level.

Sure, but had a ridiculously high usage rate and played 40 minutes in a system with tons of possessions per game cause they couldn’t defend at a high level.
So Willis didn't have great numbers despite a a ton of possessions. See how that works against your original argument? The defense wasn't just on Carr either.

So Willis didn't have great numbers despite a a ton of possessions. See how that works against your original argument? The defense wasn't just on Carr either.
Willis didn’t have a high usage rate at all. When healthy he put up good numbers for the 3rd or 4th starter. He was an average to above average defender and good passer while shooting up 30% from three. The ankle injury did seem to effect him. I bet if Willis was the lead ball handler with a similar usage rate (would’ve been an awful strategy) two years ago he would’ve broke the assist records too. He certainly wouldn’t have scored like Carr did obviously. So I guess, no I don’t understand how it fits my argument.
The defense was on the team. They didn’t defend well together. Schemes were ok, no grit or togetherness. Carr was awful, Demir was slow, Oturo got lost. Willis and Gabe were ok to above average depending on the days.

It would be nice and maybe they are under the radar recruits but none are listed as Top 10 on 247.
Top 10 Minnesota HS Recruits
Yeah that list is off…
Tre
Heide
Payne
King
Carrington
Watson
Ola-joseph
Lee

that’s my top 8….after that things get muddy
Bjerke
Omot
Nnaji
Prince
Nilson
Blue

point being that 247 list I think will look a lot different by September.

Last edited:

Willis didn’t have a high usage rate at all. When healthy he put up good numbers for the 3rd or 4th starter. He was an average to above average defender and good passer while shooting up 30% from three. The ankle injury did seem to effect him. I bet if Willis was the lead ball handler with a similar usage rate (would’ve been an awful strategy) two years ago he would’ve broke the assist records too. He certainly wouldn’t have scored like Carr did obviously. So I guess, no I don’t understand how it fits my argument.
The defense was on the team. They didn’t defend well together. Schemes were ok, no grit or togetherness. Carr was awful, Demir was slow, Oturo got lost. Willis and Gabe were ok to above average depending on the days.

I agree with most of this except that if the Peyton Willis we saw a couple years ago had Marcus Carr's usage rate, it would have been extremely ugly. Willis (from my recollection) was an average ball handler. I still see him way more as 2 than a 1. Carr dribbled the air out of the ball, but was a good ball handler.

From what I can gather, Tom Izzo has been in Georgia watching games at the same HS where Howard Pulley is playing. He was there yesterday and this morning. No idea what other players he might be after that are also in this same tournament, but whatever attention he did or did not pay to Tre the last few months that made people question if Tre was a priority for them, seems like he’s turning up the heat. Have to assume that if Izzo is there, Ben is there. And maybe Shaka?

per Shooter:

Tre Holloman, the 6-2 incoming Cretin-Derham Hall senior point guard who has Michigan State, Minnesota, Marquette, Oklahoma State and Dayton on his final five recruiting list (no favorite), on Sunday heads to Orlando, Fla., for a week as one of 60 national preps invited to the National Basketball Players Association camp.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom