All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

Tre could change the landscape. No offense, but can you imagine how many trinkets this kid could sign for 20$ and a selfie? He could be a cult hero. Give him 200K to promote your car lot or GM cereal. Hometown kid makes good. Print cash, play ball, and get a business degree in a Fortune 500 playground. If I'm Ben Johnson, this is the recruiting pitch I give to all Minnesota Top 250 talents.
I don't think they are suppose to talk about that stuff with recruits. They can talk about having a marketing person on the staff and things like that, but supposedly not about getting this money from this place and so forth from my understanding. As far as the fortune 500 company angle, that's always been brought up with recruits here.

I don't think they are suppose to talk about that stuff with recruits. They can talk about having a marketing person on the staff and things like that, but supposedly not about getting this money from this place and so forth from my understanding. As far as the fortune 500 company angle, that's always been brought up with recruits here.
I'm sure they aren't supposed to share specific examples, but I bet there isn't any harm in saying you will have more success promoting local businesses for $ as opposed to traveling elsewhere and finding something to promote.

People will already know his name here...shouldn't be a problem pointing that out.

I'm sure they aren't supposed to share specific examples, but I bet there isn't any harm in saying you will have more success promoting local businesses for $ as opposed to traveling elsewhere and finding something to promote.

People will already know his name here...shouldn't be a problem pointing that out.
I think with the top tier superstars (Chet and Jalen), the big programs will continue dominate, but part of me thinks that NIL might help a lot of the mid-tier programs.

Tre Holloman will be instantly more marketable in MN. If you looked at his IG followers, I would imagine they would disproportionately be from MN. That's just starting out obviously. Now, if he goes to Michigan State and is really good, he'll pull in the endorsements. If stays here and is really good, he'll be a legend.

Under what scenerio would he actually come play here?i
Tre could change the landscape. No offense, but can you imagine how many trinkets this kid could sign for 20$ and a selfie? He could be a cult hero. Give him 200K to promote your car lot or GM cereal. Hometown kid makes good. Print cash, play ball, and get a business degree in a Fortune 500 playground. If I'm Ben Johnson, this is the recruiting pitch I give to all Minnesota Top 250 talents.

Is Ben or any other coach able to pitch anything like this?

I haven’t read the fine print of the NIL rules.

bold 1: lol. i don't think we have many/any donors that fit that profile.
bold 2: why? GMs cereals are national brands and no one is buying more Cheerios or Cinnamon Toast Cruch because Tre is on the box
bold 3: we've said this for years. guys can always come back. unless they land a deal with one of these places where they say they are interested in their NIL, it doesn't get you much of anything. We're a pro sports town without the cult following that exists for some other major universities in big markets (Miami for example). It's going to make it tough to leverage those Fortune 500 companies to matter in terms of NIL imo

Not great - the Crystal Ball prediction from MSU, Chase Carter’s tweet, Tre’s reply.

Sounds like he’s deciding in September - hopefully still time to reel him in.

Last edited:

Must be nice to be Izzo/MSU. He’s putting in minimal work with Tre right now (has watched him 1 time this summer), has a roster of multiple other PGs, yet is still the favorite to land him. Guess that is what happens when you are playing from way ahead.

Ben has started to follow multiple other PGs on Twitter - I like having back up plan upon back up plan, but have to wonder how they are feeling about landing Tre right now.

Must be nice to be Izzo/MSU. He’s putting in minimal work with Tre right now (has watched him 1 time this summer), has a roster of multiple other PGs, yet is still the favorite to land him. Guess that is what happens when you are playing from way ahead.

Ben has started to follow multiple other PGs on Twitter - I like having back up plan upon back up plan, but have to wonder how they are feeling about landing Tre right now.
Yep. Ben is waitin for the phone to ring.

He's gone. Nothing about this is going well.

This is going to be Ben's biggest challenge in attracting top recruits, MN or not.

I don't believe that him or anyone else on his staff has a history of developing players and helping them get to the next level.

I'm talking is he good at developing guards, forwards, etc.

Being a good recruiter is different than being able to send players to the next level.

If Payne doesn't sign, I think its going to be a wait and see how well our players develop until we land a top 150 kid.

He's gone. Nothing about this is going well.
I don’t think so. It’s a safe crystal ball pick not going against Izzo. Recruiting multiple point guards or signing a couple is wise.

It would appears those feeling are not too off from GH's feelings on landing Holloman.

This is going to be Ben's biggest challenge in attracting top recruits, MN or not.

I don't believe that him or anyone else on his staff has a history of developing players and helping them get to the next level.

I'm talking is he good at developing guards, forwards, etc.

Being a good recruiter is different than being able to send players to the next level.

If Payne doesn't sign, I think its going to be a wait and see how well our players develop until we land a top 150 kid.
It's going to be hard for next year's 5-26 to inspire anyone about his player development abilities.

Where’s the hell is Oturu, a fellow Cretin grad like me, who should be praising Ben with, of all players, Tre. C’mon Oturu, step up for the Raider connection to the U!

Tre said Ben asked him to lean on other MN kids to go to the U. Well, now it has turned into a shark sandwich.

I was discussing with a coworker who is a prominent gopher wrestling booster that we should start Gopher PACs (player action committees) that award money to athletes who commit here.

Where’s the hell is Oturu, a fellow Cretin grad like me, who should be praising Ben with, of all players, Tre. C’mon Oturu, step up for the Raider connection to the U!

Anyone know who was responsible for working with Oturu and developing him into an NBA draft pick?

He gone. I'll be surprised if we land any of the top 5 MN kids.

I think we have a good shot at landing Payne and Carrington, depending on if you put them in your top 5 MN kids or not. I personally think they are right up there
They are top 5. Payne is really good and either the 2nd or 3rd. Carrington is 4th or 5th. I just don’t understand the panic yet on 2022. It’s July.

I’d have hired Ed. Maybe Ben tried? No idea.
Ed was never a long term option to be here. He would’ve kept Liam, which wouldn’t have made or break us. Better to have Thorson long term and you were not having both.

I think we have a good shot at landing Payne and Carrington, depending on if you put them in your top 5 MN kids or not. I personally think they are right up there

I probably wouldn't consider them a top 5 kid. Is either a top 200 kid? I don't see them on 247.

I probably wouldn't consider them a top 5 kid. Is either a top 200 kid? I don't see them on 247.
This year just seems to be messed up with COVID for rankings. Both Payne and Carrington have had nice summers, where Watson and Prince have recently been struggling as of late so depends on what you go by

This year just seems to be messed up with COVID for rankings. Both Payne and Carrington have had nice summers, where Watson and Prince have recently been struggling as of late so depends on what you go by

Carrington has a nice offer list, so that's encouraging. Payne not so much at this point. But there's still some time left. I admittedly haven't see any of these guys play, I just noticed neither Carrington or Payne were ranked. Maybe that'll change.

Top Bottom