All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

anyone know if he was equally excited on twitter about visiting the U and after visiting the U?
Solely based on the Twitter activity, I would say MSU is the easy front runner for Tre. Time will tell but I doubt he comes here. The 2022 class is pivotal. As others have said, the key is getting an early commitment from an impact player to start a chain reaction.

I think Minnesota is in a really good place with Tre after his visit last week and I like that he got the official visit to MSU done already, but those tweets kind of say it all unfortunately.

I do wonder the playing time situation at MSU and if that will impact him. At MN, he is probably starting day 1.

Last edited:

Ryan James was on KFAN Sunday morning with Gaard. About Holloman's visit, James said both sides came away feeling "very positive." James claims Holloman was told that "he would be the starting PG on Day 1." Holloman's family also has ties to the U, so James seems to think that the Gophers are definitely in contention.

Ryan James was on KFAN Sunday morning with Gaard. About Holloman's visit, James said both sides came away feeling "very positive." James claims Holloman was told that "he would be the starting PG on Day 1." Holloman's family also has ties to the U, so James seems to think that the Gophers are definitely in contention.
Thank you! Probably not for this thread, but anything on the other MN kids?

I think Minnesota is in a really good place with Tre after his visit last week and I like that he got the official visit to MSU done already, but those tweets kind of say it all unfortunately.

I do wonder the playing time situation at MSU and if that will impact him. At MN, he is probably starting day 1.
Seems like even when we have a legitimate shot at big time Minnesota recruit we face a major head wind. This time it’s a hyper motivated Izzo coming off a gift NCAA tourney-bid; a first round exit and Michigan gaining steam under Howard. Izzo wants Tre for a variety of reasons.

I like this. Put it all on the line BJ. I don't know what else you can do besides basically guarantee being a day 1 starter as a freshman

Seems like even when we have a legitimate shot at big time Minnesota recruit we face a major head wind. This time it’s a hyper motivated Izzo coming off a gift NCAA tourney-bid; a first round exit and Michigan gaining steam under Howard. Izzo wants Tre for a variety of reasons.
Re: Howard

He's being mentioned as a NBA coaching candidate. For the sake of the B1G, I hope he stays. Michigan was the only B1G team do to decent in tourney.

Well of course we are in contention.

Based off of last season, (I have no clue who MSU is bringing in in this 21 class) I’m guessing Tre could start at MSU day 1 as well.

I hope that several recruits can see the benifits that would be there.for those who stay , to help turn this around, and still be able to be drafted by the pros.

If Tre really wants to represent the state of Minnesota, then he should chose to play for Minnesota.

There is no more excuses for players, parents or coaches to think they are too good for the U. The U has taken a risk and picked who they wanted to be our coach, it is time to step up and take a risk on making the University of Minnesota basketball the program they all hope it to be. Nothing will ever be gained by making excuses to play for another program and still pretend that they represent the state of Minnesota. Commitment and dedication is a two way street. Do not expect others to give you respect or commitment if you do not give it back to them. This is a great opportunity for the youth basketball communities in Minnesota, it would be a shame for it to be wasted by players, parents and coaches chasing the “bright lights” of other programs. If this gamble doesn’t work, you can guarantee that it will never happen again. In other words, “put up or shut up”.

If Tre really wants to represent the state of Minnesota, then he should chose to play for Minnesota.

There is no more excuses for players, parents or coaches to think they are too good for the U. The U has taken a risk and picked who they wanted to be our coach, it is time to step up and take a risk on making the University of Minnesota basketball the program they all hope it to be. Nothing will ever be gained by making excuses to play for another program and still pretend that they represent the state of Minnesota. Commitment and dedication is a two way street. Do not expect others to give you respect or commitment if you do not give it back to them. This is a great opportunity for the youth basketball communities in Minnesota, it would be a shame for it to be wasted by players, parents and coaches chasing the “bright lights” of other programs. If this gamble doesn’t work, you can guarantee that it will never happen again. In other words, “put up or shut up”.
I agree with the sentiment, but if Coyle made this choice believing what AAU people told him, well then, he got played.

What if they look at the whole country and whole college thing differently then you do ? What if they have dream schools in other states but still fell like representing their own state no matter where they play. Also, many kids feel a strong pull to represent their hometown, their high school then they do the state. Different for everyone. What if a really good player thinks he will get better coaching elsewhere ?

Blind homerism at work.

“Choose the University of Minnesota because (random fan) thinks it’s the best decision for you to stay home.”

IMO, Coach Johnson was unfairly put in a position where he is expected to bring in more quality MN players than any recent coach. But he has accepted that challenge. The question remains. How will he do?

I hope he can be successful soon and get his first quality MN high school kid to become a Gopher. Then maybe more will follow just as MN players who have transferred back home recently. Could guys like Fox, Battle, etc. and their experiences be of assistance? But its pretty much up to BJ.

In reality, nothing has really changed as it will be very difficult for Coach Johnson as most MN kids have gravitated to the successful programs. They want to play for established, winning programs and BJ can't offer that; just like Pitino. What does Coach Johnson have to offer that can change that. The draw for kids to stay home has not been there.

Poor reason to take the risk. One move that someone doesn't like and BJ will be treated just like RP and any other coach.

What if they look at the whole country and whole college thing differently then you do ? What if they have dream schools in other states but still fell like representing their own state no matter where they play. Also, many kids feel a strong pull to represent their hometown, their high school then they do the state. Different for everyone. What if a really good player thinks he will get better coaching elsewhere ?
What if, what if, what if.

Win baby.

IMO, Coach Johnson was unfairly put in a position where he is expected to bring in more quality MN players than any recent coach. But he has accepted that challenge. The question remains. How will he do?

I hope he can be successful soon and get his first quality MN high school kid to become a Gopher. Then maybe more will follow just as MN players who have transferred back home recently. Could guys like Fox, Battle, etc. and their experiences be of assistance? But its pretty much up to BJ.

In reality, nothing has really changed as it will be very difficult for Coach Johnson as most MN kids have gravitated to the successful programs. They want to play for established, winning programs and BJ can't offer that; just like Pitino. What does Coach Johnson have to offer that can change that. The draw for kids to stay home has not been there.
Your last statement is accurate, it will be difficult for any coach. However "IMO, Coach Johnson was unfairly put in a position where he is expected to bring in more quality MN players than any recent coach. But he has accepted that challenge." Unfairly? He wasn't promoted from within after the coach was fired.., he literally lobbied for the job using recruiting as a big reason why to hire him. He brought any expectations on himself.. and will succeed or fail as a result.

I agree about the challenge of getting players to stay here. One other thing that has not made sense to me....thinking that one Minnesota kid committing will lead to other Minnesota kids committing. Maybe, if they know the other player or played AAU with them (that is why it is so important to get kids from Howard Pulley and D1), but otherwise, what is the pull? Recruitment is so much about relationships with the coaches and the other players. I just don't see one player from MN seeing another player from MN committing and feel they should too.

The example of the transfers coming home is different. Each player made a step up in level of play, plus got to come home to the U. I doubt that Battle committing inspired Fox to commit, etc. Fox committed because the U offered him a committable offer and I believe he would have come here regardless of who was coaching or his teammates were.

I agree with the sentiment, but if Coyle made this choice believing what AAU people told him, well then, he got played.
There is a degree of accountability and integrity that enters into the situation. The AAU people can't complain and keep using the same old excuses that the U is ignoring them. True character is defined by saying what you do and doing what you say, not bullsh!t. If their intent was to play the U then they have no integrity and are also playing the kids and the parents that are involved with the programs.

Blind homerism at work.

“Choose the University of Minnesota because (random fan) thinks it’s the best decision for you to stay home.”
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in what I tried to say. Players can go play wherever they want to play based upon their priorities. I was addressing the point where so many are claiming that they want to represent the state of Minnesota.

There are major changes happening at many of those "successful programs". Many of the long time established coaching legends are retiring and most of those programs will have new coaches. Does anyone really think that Izo will still be coaching MSU when Tre graduates? (maybe he will go pro early). Success at the U can't start without players believing that they can create it.

There is no more excuses for players, parents or coaches to think they are too good for the U. The U has taken a risk and picked who they wanted to be our coach,

The prior coach may have been a negative factor but he was not the only negative factor. The current coach may not be a negative factor but he might not be a decisive positive factor either.

The example of the transfers coming home is different. Each player made a step up in level of play, plus got to come home to the U. I doubt that Battle committing inspired Fox to commit, etc. Fox committed because the U offered him a committable offer and I believe he would have come here regardless of who was coaching or his teammates were.

Well said! The U of M was a step-up in competition, exposure, and facilities for the transfer commits. For highly rated incoming freshman, it's just a comparable destination at best.

Your last statement is accurate, it will be difficult for any coach. However "IMO, Coach Johnson was unfairly put in a position where he is expected to bring in more quality MN players than any recent coach. But he has accepted that challenge." Unfairly? He wasn't promoted from within after the coach was fired.., he literally lobbied for the job using recruiting as a big reason why to hire him. He brought any expectations on himself.. and will succeed or fail as a result.
Agreed. I am not sure if people just have short memories or if people are purposely moving the goal posts to lower expectations. The big rip on Smith and Dutcher was that they haven't recruited Minnesota and that's why BJ was the better choice; apparently recruiting Minnesota was so critical that we needed to ignore other qualifications to the point that we wouldn't even interview those other candidates. If you now say it's not fair to put pressure on Johnson to get MN players, then why in the world would you have hired him without interviewing any other candidates? That was literally the only thing on paper you could look at, without speaking to the candidates, and say Johnson had on the other candidates.

Here's a thought. If a MN kid goes to another school, he's just a basketball player.

but, especially in the current situation, if a highly-rated MN kid goes to MN, people will be putting a lot of extra expectations on them to "save the program," including the expectation that they will help convince other MN players to 'stay home.'

Some players may willingly accept that level of expectations.

Other players may not want anything to do with it.

Don't get me wrong - I would like to see more of the good MN kids play for the Gophers. But I want them to do it for the 'right' reasons - not because people are putting pressure on them or claiming they have some kind of an obligation to stay home and support the program.

I could see a kid saying "bleep it, I don't need that extra pressure. I'm going to go to School X."

Top Bottom