All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

Because players like Tre have been going to Indiana in the distant past.

It takes players like Tre to trust and belief in Ben to build up the support and history at the U. It isn’t magic. Players like Tre have become who they are by having the talent and drive to achieve, but also by having numerous people help develop his skills. People who believed in his potential and trusted that he would put in the effort to make it work.

Ben is not a newcomer to Tre, he is not a newcomer to his family, he is not a newcomer to his coaches, etc. Many of those people had some influence in getting Ben hired! They all highly praised Ben and his abilities. We will soon learn if they all truly want to build a program at the U or if it was just lip service and they are more enamored with perceived “bright lights”.
Great post. There are several reasons why coming here is a great choice.

Great coaches get these players and they do it right away. I expect a great class to sign this fall.
Agree with this. It sounds like he is putting in the work, the locals have said all the right things, expectation is to have a great class from MN.

Great post. There are several reasons why coming here is a great choice.
Are there many reasons going to Minnesota is a great choice that aren’t also reasons elsewhere? I know people cite the Fortune 500 companies but how many Gopher basketball players go on to work at those places?

Not trying to being argumentative. I don’t have as much knowledge as you do about other schools.

Are there many reasons going to Minnesota is a great choice that aren’t also reasons elsewhere? I know people cite the Fortune 500 companies but how many Gopher basketball players go on to work at those places?

Not trying to being argumentative. I don’t have as much knowledge as you do about other schools.

Do you want to know Gopher athletes with good jobs in the Cities? People talk about Fortune 500, but the point is more that if you were a Gopher athlete, you will likely have better luck landing a job in the Twin Cities due to the network and the recognition and your U degree.

Hoffarber is killing it for one. So is Mitch Leidner. So is Trevor Winter. Jamal Abu-Shamala appears to be doing well. Al Nolen and Mbakwe both have good jobs with school systems (surely their connections to the U didn't hurt with those positions. Kim Royston just saved a bunch of kids' lives two weeks ago as an assistant principal. John Thomas is doing good things for the Timberwolves and the local community.

Honestly, just go to LinkedIn, search a former player and you can get a good idea from their profile.

Do you want to know Gopher athletes with good jobs in the Cities? People talk about Fortune 500, but the point is more that if you were a Gopher athlete, you will likely have better luck landing a job in the Twin Cities due to the network and the recognition and your U degree.

Hoffarber is killing it for one. So is Mitch Leidner. So is Trevor Winter. Jamal Abu-Shamala appears to be doing well. Al Nolen and Mbakwe both have good jobs with school systems (surely their connections to the U didn't hurt with those positions. Kim Royston just saved a bunch of kids' lives two weeks ago as an assistant principal. John Thomas is doing good things for the Timberwolves and the local community.

Honestly, just go to LinkedIn, search a former player and you can get a good idea from their profile.
But don’t those same opportunities exist in other communities? Like if you’re an Indiana Hoosier basketball player you’d have similar opportunities to what you just referenced. That’s all I was asking.

But don’t those same opportunities exist in other communities? Like if you’re an Indiana Hoosier basketball player you’d have similar opportunities to what you just referenced. That’s all I was asking.
Of course. My friends and associates have not hired anyone in high paying jobs because they played sports. But with some it did open doors. Blake was going to do great weather he played here or not.

Ah, I guess maybe it transfers to Indianapolis? But Indianapolis is definitely not Minneapolis as far as career opportunities, IMO.

Buy yes, I'd agree that the same provincial connection probably exists around most big universities.

The selling point most people are making when they bring that up is that the Twin Cities are probably one of the better post-sports career landing spots for job and family compared to many spots in the Big Ten. Definitely better than Milwaukee, Indy, Detroit, Baltimore, Des Moines, Omaha, Columbus or Cleveland. You could definitely make the argument that Chicago, New York and Pittsburgh are better or comparable depending on what you're looking for.

Ah, I guess maybe it transfers to Indianapolis? But Indianapolis is definitely not Minneapolis as far as career opportunities, IMO.

Buy yes, I'd agree that the same provincial connection probably exists around most big universities.

The selling point most people are making when they bring that up is that the Twin Cities are probably one of the better post-sports career landing spots for job and family compared to many spots in the Big Ten. Definitely better than Milwaukee, Indy, Detroit, Baltimore, Des Moines, Omaha, Columbus or Cleveland. You could definitely make the argument that Chicago, New York and Pittsburgh are better or comparable depending on what you're looking for.
Everybody has their own idea of what they want.Most players are deciding on where they want to go to school, who they want to play for. So many reasons to come here and so many reasons to go somewhere else.

Of course. My friends and associates have not hired anyone in high paying jobs because they played sports. But with some it did open doors. Blake was going to do great weather he played here or not.
No doubt. I work for a company full of former Gopher athletes because the owner is a former Gopher athlete. But I think everyone there who is successful would have been successful without the company we are at, but its worked out well overall.

I don't disagree but I think a lot of it is overstated because we focus on what we know. Every team in the B1G provides different things for their graduates. I'm guessing Huskers get plenty of opportunities in Lincoln/Omaha. Maybe not as large of companies as Minneapolis but still really solid, entry level spots. Same type of job you'd get graduating from Minnesota as a basketball player. Just an example and I could be way wrong.

No doubt. I work for a company full of former Gopher athletes because the owner is a former Gopher athlete. But I think everyone there who is successful would have been successful without the company we are at, but its worked out well overall.
If you wrestled in HS or college, you move to front of the line at the company I work for when it comes to hiring. Hard work, tenacity, toughness, sacrifice and commitment all transfer nicely no matter which career path you travel after schooling.

If you wrestled in HS or college, you move to front of the line at the company I work for when it comes to hiring. Hard work, tenacity, toughness, sacrifice and commitment all transfer nicely no matter which career path you travel after schooling.
I did not my wrestle but I'm surrounded by D1 all-americans in my office.

per Marcus:

With the dead period finally lifted this week after more than a year, four-star Cretin-Derham Hall point guard Tre Holloman is the first prospect to visit the Gophers on Tuesday.

Holloman, arguably Minnesota's top player in the 2022 class, told the Star Tribune he's visiting the U campus unofficially, meeting with new Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and staff.

The son of former Gophers player Crystal Flint, Holloman called being offered by the Gophers a "blessing."

"They're my hometown school," he said. "Just for them to show love, I'm really grateful."

One of the most sought after point guards in the country, Holloman said he scheduled an official visit with Michigan State on Thursday. He is also planning for an official visit to Marquette at the end of June.

One of the priorities for Johnson after replacing Richard Pitino is to keep the state's top players from playing elsewhere. Holloman is at the top of the Gophers' most-wanted list.

"I think they'll be recruiting their tails off," Cretin-Derham Hall coach Jerry Kline said earlier this spring. "Can't forget Ben was a huge reason early on why Daniel [Oturu] was really attracted to the U."

Go Gophers!!

It’s pretty clear by the schools he is visiting that diversity of the student population is important. Go get ‘em Ben!

per Strack:

Well, the recruiting dead period is officially over and that means prospective division I college athletes are free to roam college campuses who are inviting them in for a visit. As expected, Minnesota Gophers head football coach PJ Fleck is wasting no time in getting kids to the U of M campus and will host multiple visitors today. His guest list has one little twist in it, though. In a tag-team effort with new head basketball coach, Ben Johnson, Cretin Derham Hall point guard and defensive back, Tre Holloman, will be on campus today.

Go Gophers!!

It’s pretty clear by the schools he is visiting that diversity of the student population is important. Go get ‘em Ben!
Just curious about this observation....Michigan State, Marquette, and Minnesota. You see that list and come to the conclusion that diversity of student population is important. Are these three schools known to be more diverse than others? I would have not come to that conclusion but I hadn't really thought about it that way. Is Cretin also diverse?

Just curious about this observation....Michigan State, Marquette, and Minnesota. You see that list and come to the conclusion that diversity of student population is important. Are these three schools known to be more diverse than others? I would have not come to that conclusion but I hadn't really thought about it that way. Is Cretin also diverse?
It’s just a bit that he constantly hammers on: “White players go to Wisconsin, black players go to Marquette/not Wisconsin.” What he’s saying is that Tre is black, and will not be interested in Wisconsin because everyone at Wisconsin is white. He will likely post something similar about how every black recruit we offer is “not what Wisconsin is looking for” or “more of a Marquette type player.”

It’s just a bit that he constantly hammers on: “White players go to Wisconsin, black players go to Marquette/not Wisconsin.” What he’s saying is that Tre is black, and will not be interested in Wisconsin because everyone at Wisconsin is white. He will likely post something similar about how every black recruit we offer is “not what Wisconsin is looking for” or “more of a Marquette type player.”
Gotcha

Probably should note that those two tweets were sent in the opposite order before people start having heart attacks ("here I come" refers to the official visit and was two days earlier).

Probably should note that those two tweets were sent in the opposite order before people start having heart attacks ("here I come" refers to the official visit and was two days earlier).

Ha! Good call.

Go Gophers!!

If you're a D1 Athlete from a Power 5 conference from a major sport (and you graduate) you can get a good job in any major market much easier.

There is a lot of mystique surrounding former power 5 players in the workplace.

They are like unicorns.

So no, it's not just the twin cities.

If someone who played basketball at gonzaga wanted a good paying job here after they graduate, they'll get a good paying job.

Top Bottom