All Things Taison Chatman Recruiting Thread (Class of 2023, Totino-Grace HS, Gophers Offered)

This article out of Columbus sure makes it sound like he enjoyed his visit.

His father, Tommy, provides some small snippets about other officials to Kansas, Xavier, and UConn. No mention of Virginia and the U which were also among his top 5.

Father Tommy sounds like a real pimper!
That’s disrespectful. I know his family well & he definitely not pimping his son.

That’s disrespectful. I know his family well & he definitely not pimping his son.
Point made. Maybe pimping isnt the right term. I do not know the family at all but the quote below comes across as pumping for adulation. I get the sense that Tommy is enjoying the recruitment process!

“In all honesty, I don’t want this to sound like a ploy, but looking at the fan base and looking at how they were yelling his name and cheering him on, that really made him light up,” his father said. “I do believe the State fans could probably push it over the top if they got on his socials and encouraged him on those things."

I certainly have no input nor any real skin in the game but I would not be encouraging Taison to make an important decision based on who is yelling his name and blowing up his socials. I know that this feeds a kid's ego but I hope he is thinking broader than this.

I'm pleased that Tommy talked at least a little about how Ohio State might be a fit for Taison's game but over half of the article was about the butt-kissing aspect of recruiting. I know that's part of it but butt-kissing turns really quickly when things get real.

And?

I find it interesting that so many gh posters hate it when someone wants the team they support to win and win big.
You used them as an example of program building fast. Year two doesn’t look bright for them. If we finish higher in the B1G than they do in the B12 does that mean we are ok then? We did this dance earlier, winning big early rarely happens when the team was poor before.
Everyone here wants to win big. Some just understand process. Some think it’s magic. You choose your category.

Chatmans are a good family. Dad isn’t taking any of this money. He’s just helping his son sort things out. We’ve had some crazy dads from some top recruits recently, but Chatman isn’t one.

Chatmans are a good family. Dad isn’t taking any of this money. He’s just helping his son sort things out. We’ve had some crazy dads from some top recruits recently, but Chatman isn’t one.
Agreed!

You used them as an example of program building fast. Year two doesn’t look bright for them. If we finish higher in the B1G than they do in the B12 does that mean we are ok then? We did this dance earlier, winning big early rarely happens when the team was poor before.
Everyone here wants to win big. Some just understand process. Some think it’s magic. You choose your category.
I used them as an example of winning year 1. Sweet 16 in year 1. Ncaa Sweet 16. Year 1.

Conference finish doesn’t do much for me, a lot of people believe it is the bellwether.

Program building is a fun discussion. Winning fast and having sustained success are actual results.

Point made. Maybe pimping isnt the right term. I do not know the family at all but the quote below comes across as pumping for adulation. I get the sense that Tommy is enjoying the recruitment process!

“In all honesty, I don’t want this to sound like a ploy, but looking at the fan base and looking at how they were yelling his name and cheering him on, that really made him light up,” his father said. “I do believe the State fans could probably push it over the top if they got on his socials and encouraged him on those things."

I certainly have no input nor any real skin in the game but I would not be encouraging Taison to make an important decision based on who is yelling his name and blowing up his socials. I know that this feeds a kid's ego but I hope he is thinking broader than this.

I'm pleased that Tommy talked at least a little about how Ohio State might be a fit for Taison's game but over half of the article was about the butt-kissing aspect of recruiting. I know that's part of it but butt-kissing turns really quickly when things get real.
He was just stating a simple fact which is true bout most recruits. I doubt social media will be the determining factor. Nothing in that comment suggested that

Doesn’t have to. One day final 5 and the next poof. You can’t have it both ways.
Isn't that pretty much every kid? Christie had a top 5 then poof it was down to 1. It's not anything new. That's what recruiting is. He may have had an interest in the U, but there are other factors that give the other schools an edge

Isn't that pretty much every kid? Christie had a top 5 then poof it was down to 1. It's not anything new. That's what recruiting is. He may have had an interest in the U, but there are other factors that give the other schools an edge
In this case, what are said factors?

Wants to leave MSP, wants more NIL, could like Ohio State football, could have family in the area... the list goes on and on.

Coloradans wondered why Betts went out of state... familiarity with the area b/c of spending time here with family in summers was one of the key factors in him committing and then signing with the U.

Look our history compared to Ohio State, what school will he have more NIL opportunity, what school has produced more pros, what school he feels like he can develop the most at. I’m not the one making the decision but if I’m a recruit ranked in the top 50 all those things matter. It’s not an indictment on the current staff it’s just is what it is. We can blame the staff for missing on Chatman when they got a strong chance at Evans who is ranked as high, got Christie who is top 100, & Betts who would have been top 150 if he didn’t reclass. All these guys are higher than any kid from the state of MN except Chatman so I don’t understand the gripe on recruiting

Look our history compared to Ohio State, what school will he have more NIL opportunity, what school has produced more pros, what school he feels like he can develop the most at. I’m not the one making the decision but if I’m a recruit ranked in the top 50 all those things matter. It’s not an indictment on the current staff it’s just is what it is. We can blame the staff for missing on Chatman when they got a strong chance at Evans who is ranked as high, got Christie who is top 100, & Betts who would have been top 150 if he didn’t reclass. All these guys are higher than any kid from the state of MN except Chatman so I don’t understand the gripe on recruiting
Don’t think it’s griping, but isn’t Chatman the exact kid Coyle was thinking of when he referred to home state recruits?

Understand the rest, thanks.

Don’t think it’s griping, but isn’t Chatman the exact kid Coyle was thinking of when he referred to home state recruits?

I get what your saying about Coyle but aren’t the other kids bigger hauls than everyone but Chatman. Also, I see a lot of progress with the home state kids in the 2024 class minus Freitag but he has so many different things where it’s hard to make a read. Asuma, Mekonnen, Robison, & McAndrew are top 5 in state kids & Ben is really showing them a lot of attention. I think we get 2 in states 2024s

I get what your saying about Coyle but aren’t the other kids bigger hauls than everyone but Chatman. Also, I see a lot of progress with the home state kids in the 2024 class minus Freitag but he has so many different things where it’s hard to make a read. Asuma, Mekonnen, Robison, & McAndrew are top 5 in state kids & Ben is really showing them a lot of attention. I think we get 2 in states 2024s
We got 3 2022 MN kids. In good shape for Asuma and others in 2024 and Winter is still a chance. Our in state recruiting has improved markedly. Ben and Throrson show our kids a lot of love that didn’t always happen with previous staffs as a whole.

It doesn’t. Plenty of examples. Iowa state last year. Year 1. Followed by a top recruiting class. Others have huge success year 2.

Just win dak a$$
That's one example, not plenty. Give us the plenty.

FWIW - Doogie on SkorNorth talking about recruiting Chatman. He said the sense is it won't be MN, but - to quote Doogie, "it may be a 2-way street kind of thing. The Gophers may be asking if they need Chatman" because of the commit from Christie. Doogie also said the top two targets are Evans and Winter, and the Gophers "really feel good" about where they stand with Evans and "feel good" about Winter.

FWIW - Doogie on SkorNorth talking about recruiting Chatman. He said the sense is it won't be MN, but - to quote Doogie, "it may be a 2-way street kind of thing. The Gophers may be asking if they need Chatman" because of the commit from Christie. Doogie also said the top two targets are Evans and Winter, and the Gophers "really feel good" about where they stand with Evans and "feel good" about Winter.
When was the last time Doogie was right about anything that everyone didn’t know already?

Mr. Chatman is focused on the glitz & glamour and the pumping-up of their egos. Saying that everyone going onto his social media and smooching his backside is what might make the difference....and you expect me to believe that this guy won't take money LOL?

Mr. Chatman is focused on the glitz & glamour and the pumping-up of their egos. Saying that everyone going onto his social media and smooching his backside is what might make the difference....and you expect me to believe that this guy won't take money LOL?
Even if he would take money, that's not exactly pimping out your son. That would require putting him in a really bad situation for you to make some money. As much as I'd love him to come to the U, I don't think playing basketball for Kansas or Xavier really fits the bill.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I do think that pops is going after that bag, I don't know if it's not in his son's best interests. I can't think of a scenario outside of college sports recruiting where we would consider that that negative behavior from a parent.

When was the last time Doogie was right about anything that everyone didn’t know already?
He also definitely reads Gopherhole.

I'm not shocked Doogie came out with this nugget after people on GH have been saying we aren't getting Chatman for weeks.

I think as a 2nd year, never been a head coach at this level before coach as Johnson is getting the biggest in state name that happens to be a highly rated national recruit your 2nd year is a big ask.

If the coach is named Izzo, Cronin, Muss, Beard or dare I say Self, in their 2nd year with their resumes then no I don't think it is such a big ask to get the best, highest rated kid in your state.

Have you met him or know people who know him well? He’s a good guy

That's one example, not plenty. Give us the plenty.
Some counters would be:

John Wooden - took anout 17 years as a coach to have a truly remarkable season.

Mike K - took roughly 11. Including a few when more than not wanted him out.

Of course, the poster who always makes the “just win,”argument, probably only makes it because that is really all that’s understandable to said individual.

Top Bottom