All Things Taison Chatman Recruiting Thread (Class of 2023, Totino-Grace HS, Gophers Offered)

Agree. The fan base here has accepted mediocrity for way too long.
Good thought. To help support you guys I am going to get a group together to "Wish things were different". As an important part of this we will ridicule anyone not attending the group as the people who are the problem.

Am I doing this non-mediocre thing right?

There is a big difference between accepting loses and believing that you can win. Losers expect to lose, winner expect to win and do everything in their power to make it happen. All of this talk about how other programs are much better, how we never win, how we are always inferior to others is a defeatist attitude and it becomes self-fulfilling.

We are a fricking B1G program, improving our coaching and getting in a few of the right recruits can quickly put us in the hunt for the B1G title which means we are in the top tier of College Basketball.

No one who has ever achieved greatness by ever doubting their ability to compete. Many of our fans automatically think we can never compete. Winning comes from a change in mindset.
Yeah, I know all of these cliches too. We clearly do not "accept losing", as I said, we have a long history of canning mediocre coaches. As a fan base, that seems like pretty rock solid evidence that we don't accept it.

You seem to think that somehow the skepticism of the fans hurts the program and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just have a really hard time with most of the folks who discuss this concept because they usually say it out of one side of their mouth while also running away from any expectations with the other side of their mouth.

So, lets test your mindset. As you said, we can quickly hunt for a B!G title. . . when? When is that a realistic goal for this team? If that's a realistic goal for this program, I would think accepting anything less than that would be accepting mediocrity or losing. So when should we expect this program to compete for a B1G title? When does Ben's seat get hot if that goal is not being reached?

Don't be one of those fans who doubts our ability to compete. Year 3? Year 4?

Good thought. To help support you guys I am going to get a group together to "Wish things were different". As an important part of this we will ridicule anyone not attending the group as the people who are the problem.

Am I doing this non-mediocre thing right?
Typically, you also need your expectations to be completely contradictory and amorphous.

• You need to get pissed if anyone is pissed after a bad loss because negativity is the problem.
  • You need to get pissed if people don't think we're going to compete with Kansas, because accepting mediocrity is the problem.
  • Your goals, while also crying about other people's lack of commitment to the cause, is something meaningless like "I just want us to recruit the right players and develop the program through our vastly improved coaching staff."
    • NOTE: You need to delay for as long as possible on having any tangible goals while also expecting everyone to be super positive and confident. It's not real clear how a fan be both unaccepting of mediocrity and positive after bad outcomes, but don't let that get in your way of holding those contradictory thoughts.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie states on Chatman:

"The Gophers are sitting pretty with Chatman. If the Gophers can land Taison Chatman that would be a big time get."

Go Gophers!!
Man, sometimes I wish Doogie knew anything.

Doogie is used by the coaches that feed him, to say what they want said.

And he is happy to do that, since it gets him clicks and reads, which is how he puts food on the table.

Do you have proof he’s wrong? Doogie is annoying at times, but he gets fed info from D1 coaches who Chatman plays for in the summer.
I have no idea if he's wrong or not, I just don't think Doogie has any connections whatsoever. My doubt has nothing to do with whether or not Chatman will come to the U, it's a doubt in whether or not Doogie knows more than I do.

Doogie has made a career out of being played by agents (see Fred Hoiberg) or saying things that kind of mean nothing like "The Gophers could be sitting pretty for [recruit A]". Look at everyone of his predictions, they are either so open ended they could be interpreted in any way or just have no meaning.

Maybe this changes with Ben. He seems to have some connection with Ben Johnson, but for the first 20 years of Doogie's career he was essentially Charlie Walters with worse birds.

I have no idea if he's wrong or not, I just don't think Doogie has any connections whatsoever. My doubt has nothing to do with whether or not Chatman will come to the U, it's a doubt in whether or not Doogie knows more than I do.

Doogie has made a career out of being played by agents (see Fred Hoiberg) or saying things that kind of mean nothing like "The Gophers could be sitting pretty for [recruit A]". Look at everyone of his predictions, they are either so open ended they could be interpreted in any way or just have no meaning.

Maybe this changes with Ben. He seems to have some connection with Ben Johnson, but for the first 20 years of Doogie's career he was essentially Charlie Walters with worse birds.

Yeah he does the speculative stuff for sure. He's had ins with MN D1 though and pretty pretty spot on with the recruitment from that organization. Hurt dad gave him stuff for sure. His petty twitter stuff gets annoying when people question him too, but I think he's good on this one. I also think Chatman is wide open still. Haven't seen him take visits or do any interviews.

Do you have proof he’s wrong? Doogie is annoying at times, but he gets fed info from D1 coaches who Chatman plays for in the summer.
Well he was saying that the gophers wanted Watson so “badly” all summer in his podcasts. Almost to the point of his commitment to ISU.

He was basically saying the gophers wanted him more than Holloman when discussing interest levels the staff had in recruits.

Well he was saying that the gophers wanted Watson so “badly” all summer in his podcasts. Almost to the point of his commitment to ISU.

He was basically saying the gophers wanted him more than Holloman when discussing interest levels the staff had in recruits.
To be fair a lot of people wanted Watson them he played one of the July’s and basically lost all his offers. I listen to all his podcasts and remember him saying that last spring, but not in the summer. After Watson committed he said what many others said that they stopped talking to him. So I guess I don’t hold him on that one. Same HS coach for them both though.

To be fair a lot of people wanted Watson them he played one of the July’s and basically lost all his offers. I listen to all his podcasts and remember him saying that last spring, but not in the summer. After Watson committed he said what many others said that they stopped talking to him. So I guess I don’t hold him on that one. Same HS coach for them both though.
It was this summer too. At least through June. I remember him still raving about him even as posters on here were talking about how bad of a summer he was having. I hope he’s right with Chatman though. And I’ll still listen to his podcast due to living out of state and can get a lot of updates pretty quickly when he just runs through his notes.

Chatman's grandma used to work for/rent from the late Dick Ames, who was a big Gopher booster that Sid would mention a couple times a year in his column. Not that it means anything as far as this young man's choice, but hopefully there's a trickle-down effect from Dick Ames' love of the Gophers.

***Taison's dad, Tommy, was a standout player in Jordan (also maroon and gold) who went below the radar as a recruit. I believe he won a National title playing juco ball at Fergus.

Talks about Iowa, Minnesota and Texas as seeming top 3 right now.

On Iowa "It was really cool. I went down there on a Friday for the preseason opener so me and my dad me the whole staff and it was a lot of fun. They said that they like how I play and how I can fit into their program. For a Big Ten team they play really fast, and I like to play fast too.”

On Minnesota “We have a good relationship right now. I’m just trying to build with as many coaches as possible. I think we are in a good spot right now. I like the culture. Minnesota basketball everybody knows each other, and they cheer for the team hard.”

On Texas “I know they want me to go down there soon so me and my dad will probably go down there in the next month maybe. They’ve been getting more known as a basketball school, and they’ve produced a lot of guards who are pros.”

It will probably be hard to match the dollars that Texas can offer.

Talks about Iowa, Minnesota and Texas as seeming top 3 right now.

On Iowa "It was really cool. I went down there on a Friday for the preseason opener so me and my dad me the whole staff and it was a lot of fun. They said that they like how I play and how I can fit into their program. For a Big Ten team they play really fast, and I like to play fast too.”

On Minnesota “We have a good relationship right now. I’m just trying to build with as many coaches as possible. I think we are in a good spot right now. I like the culture. Minnesota basketball everybody knows each other, and they cheer for the team hard.”

On Texas “I know they want me to go down there soon so me and my dad will probably go down there in the next month maybe. They’ve been getting more known as a basketball school, and they’ve produced a lot of guards who are pros.”
Interesting comments between the three.......

Taison Chatman Talks Winning State Title and Recruitment – “They want a big-time hometown kid to play for the hometown team."​

By Chris Monter

Since 2012 there have been 5 players drafted from Texas and they all were big guys
What does that have to do with what I said or what he said? They had 14 guys on NBA rosters on opening night, that is the third most of any college.

This is his quote: “They have a lot of depth. They produce a lot of NBA-ready guys every year. I feel like people who go there are destined to go to the league.”

I assume this is the quote you're thinking he was fed poor information.

The 2020-21 UT team had three rookies get some run in the NBA last year alone.

I get that you want to talk about only guards who were drafted but that isn't what he said and it isn't what I said. The University of Texas puts a lot of players in the NBA.

Cory Joseph is the last guard drafted from Texas, and the most recent. No guard since 2011.
Yep and three players from their team in 2021 played in the NBA. They do produce a lot of "nba-ready guys". I was merely agreeing with what he said.

Top Bottom