All things Players Coming and Going.

Thanks.

I was just looking at UMD coach Sandelin's record. He's had a couple periods of underperforming but came back. So maybe it's just the ebbs and flows and not out in the cold in the new world.

Some people hate UMD as the worst rivalry. North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan...

To me they are the WCHA and good. I grew up in Duluth and remember the Bulldogs being the hot ticket in town. This is Northern Minnesota.

Gophers need to play those WCHA teams not in the Big Ten.

I also remember in Duluth that the Gophers were a premier game because they were always good and they knew it. Other fans look forward to playing the Gophers even if they kind of hate the Gophers because you know you're playing one of the best.

Some people hate UMD as the worst rivalry. North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan...

To me they are the WCHA and good. I grew up in Duluth and remember the Bulldogs being the hot ticket in town. This is Northern Minnesota.

Gophers need to play those WCHA teams not in the Big Ten.

I also remember in Duluth that the Gophers were a premier game because they were always good and they knew it. Other fans look forward to playing the Gophers even if they kind of hate the Gophers because you know you're playing one of the best.
They don't kind of hate the gophers, they despise all things gophers. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't think many gopher fans would put UMD in the same rivalry class as UND and Wisconsin - those two are a clear tier above the rest. Michigan a little closer call.

"They think they are so good" is a phrase I heard about the Gophers. Also some contentiousness about listing Gophers as Minnesota-Twin Cities.

good point, I should have said all things gopher hockey.
I went to UMD and I still root for Gopher Hockey as a close second behind UMD. But am a big Gopher fan in all other sports as are most of my fellow UMD grads. At least the ones I know.

Back in the day, Minnesotan Neal Broten was a huge star for the Gophers. He won the first Hobie Baker Award in 1980-81. He won WCHA Rookie of the Year. He was a member of Miracle on Ice. Lou Nanne maneuvered to draft him for the North Stars. Broten later won the Stanley Cup with New Jersey.

3-4 years after Broten, UMD boasted back-to-back Hobie Baker winners in Tom Kurvers and Bill Watson. UMD isn't the top tier but had some glory moments like that. 3 years after that it was Gophers again with Robb Stauber and then a few years later Brian Bonin.

The last Gophers player to win the Hobey was Jordan Leopold in 2001-02 when the Gophers won the national championship. The last time the Gophers won a national championship was 2003.

In 2022-23, the Gophers just missed winning the national championship. Both Logan Cooley and Matthew Knies of the Gophers were Hobey finalists. Defenseman Brock Faber was also a top talent, becoming a Calder Trophy finalist for the Wild, the NHL Rookie of the Year award.

And now looking ahead...

Last edited:

BC brings in Letourneau a year early to replace Smith, and sure enough he's a first rounder.

Celebrini gone.

BC
big gap unless Leonard signs
BU/UM/DU/UMN/UND/MSU

UM waiting to confirm Gridin and if McGroarty gets traded
DU waiting on Buium
MSU waiting on Levshunov

Levshunov signed so MSU is out of contention

Gridin did sign so I think UM joins MSU at the back of that pack.

Gridin did sign so I think UM joins MSU at the back of that pack.
You’re a lot higher on Denver than I am at this point. They unloaded an awful lot. Then again it’s BC and everyone else either way so not that it matters a ton making these comparisons.

Someone tell the fact checkers over on GPL they're both wrong and that UND has 14 draft picks this year. If there were one thing they're missing with me not there it's attention to detail lol.

Sounds like it's still not even clear if Pitlick is coming back. That's super BS to not have made that clear to his teammates by now.

Already at 14 forwards which is not optimal, and then maybe getting down to 13 and having to bring in a guy that isn't ready...

If Pitlick does go this late in the summer:
a.) What an a-hole move to his teammates
b.) It's not like he'll get a max ELC, spend any real time in the NHL this year, or miss out on an offer he could also get by putting in the work and having a good last season
c.) Replacing him with a freshman you didn't want to bring in yet is a major hit to the teams forward depth and also reflects poor recruiting in the fact the roster already only has 14 forwards.

If Pitlick does go this late in the summer:
a.) What an a-hole move to his teammates
b.) It's not like he'll get a max ELC, spend any real time in the NHL this year, or miss out on an offer he could also get by putting in the work and having a good last season
c.) Replacing him with a freshman you didn't want to bring in yet is a major hit to the teams forward depth and also reflects poor recruiting in the fact the roster already only has 14 forwards.
i would assume they all have known about this for some time.
no he won't as i'm sure he's going to sign an AHL deal. He's not an NHL caliber player and won't be after this season even if he puts up a point/game. another season here would only help him, but it's not going to put him up into the upper echelon of guys who are signing to come straight into the NHL either way.
i would envision they're not bringing in any extra player at this point other than a body practice player if so.
Snuggy-Moore-Wood
Lamb-Huglen-Kurth
Zeimer-Clark-Nevers
Mitts-Hendrickson-Pahlsson-Falloon

Compared to last year
Pitlick-Moore-Snuggy
Kurth-Huglen-Lamb
Nevers-Nelson-Brodz
Pino-Clark-Mitts-Strobel

Would I rather have Pitlick playing with the 7s line and bump Nevers down further? Yes. Is this going to require bringing in another freshman? no. Do I wish Pitlick would've made his choice earlier so maybe you go harder after another big dog in the portal? yeah for sure.

Would I rather have Pitlick playing with the 7s line and bump Nevers down further? Yes. Is this going to require bringing in another freshman? no. Do I wish Pitlick would've made his choice earlier so maybe you go harder after another big dog in the portal? yeah for sure.
You do not roll into a season with 13 forwards. They're going to need a random from campus then. And either way, not good.

Some of the Pitlick talk makes sense and some doesn't. Smells to me like he's maneuvering for comparable NIL and could yet be retained.

If he comes back Jess Myers will lose all credibility. You can't post something like that if you're not sure when you're a supposed Gopher insider.

If he comes back Jess Myers will lose all credibility. You can't post something like that if you're not sure when you're a supposed Gopher insider.
i mean its Jess. Does he really have much for credibility? lol

Someone hopefully talks to Rhett Pitlick to not be an a**, if he hasn't signed a pro contract that would have him locked in. Come back to Minnesota and maybe get a boost to your stock while not ditching your team in August.

Lots of "expected to" news on the Internet but little confirmed. Apparently he deregistered from school, one speculation source.

Lots of "expected to" news on the Internet but little confirmed. Apparently he deregistered from school, one speculation source.
He's definitely gone then. It used to be pretty easy to check that if you log into the UMN system, but heck if I remember my password.

I don't think anyone "deregisters" from school. If you decided not to go... you just don't show up once the semester starts and don't pay your tuition. Or you just never register in the first place.

Top Bottom