All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

This nonsense gets old every April. We had the same rumors every April when Tubby was here.

It would be nice if he would come out and say there is nothing to these rumors. My guess is that probably isn't the case.

It may have been in this thread earlier.....but as somebody pointed out, he is the only power conference coach with rumors circulating around him. This can't help recruiting in the short or long run, in my opinion.

This nonsense gets old every April. We had the same rumors every April when Tubby was here.

It would be nice if he would come out and say there is nothing to these rumors. My guess is that probably isn't the case.

It may have been in this thread earlier.....but as somebody pointed out, he is the only power conference coach with rumors circulating around him. This can't help recruiting in the short or long run, in my opinion.

I blame our reporters. The only constant is them. different athletic directors, different players, different coaches, different coaching positions rumored... mostly the same media.

But BuiltBadgers spoke directly to his buddy the AD, who said that they had no interest in Richard.

If the rumors are true and RP wants out of Minnesota that badly might as well go now. As you point out this April nonsense gets old fast and certainly can't help the perception of the program going forward.

I blame our reporters. The only constant is them. different athletic directors, different players, different coaches, different coaching positions rumored... mostly the same media.

I know we like to blame the media for a lot around here but this is quite the stretch to blame the media. All the reporters are doing is putting out what they are hearing. Rayno put it out there and Forde confirms. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you but not the reporters fault for putting it out there.

I know we like to blame the media for a lot around here but this is quite the stretch to blame the media. All the reporters are doing is putting out what they are hearing. Rayno put it out there and Forde confirms. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you but not the reporters fault for putting it out there.

They're paid to sell papers or get clicks. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. It's probably a little bit of both.

Pretty confident all that comes out of this is Richie gets his raise (or a bigger one) from Norwood, but certainly among fans that will only increase the pressure on him to prove his coaching acumen will become more like Papa Rick than more like Todd Lickliter (overmatched in B1G pond). At minimum he needs to do what Kill has done on the football side of things, make the Gophers -- if not great -- at least relevant and a non-bottom feeder in the B1G.

Heres a conspiracy theory.

Why did Malik Ellison reopen his recruiting? Cause Pitino said he's not staying in Minnesota?!?!?!

PLOT THICKENS!

Interesting with all this "communication between camps for awhile" that Pitino has found so much time for recruiting visits.

Isn't this the point in the opera where everybody starts posting their candidates to replace the current coach, even though he hasn't left yet?

Heres a conspiracy theory.

Why did Malik Ellison reopen his recruiting? Cause Pitino said he's not staying in Minnesota?!?!?!

PLOT THICKENS!

When did he re-open if they just had a visit with him yesterday?

This does get tiring. How did we not go through this every year of the 90's with Clem? I realize the internet/twitter weren't around to spread rumors, but I literally don't recall ever hearing a single one about him?

The next FB or MBB to leave Minnesota for another job will be the second in my lifetime. Likely the first for many here.

Tubby fired. Brew fired. Monson fired. Mason fired. Clem fired. Wacker fired. Gutey fired. Dutcher resigned. HOLTZ BAILED. Salem fired. Stoll fired.

The next FB or MBB to leave Minnesota for another job will be the second in my lifetime. Likely the first for many here.

Tubby fired. Brew fired. Monson fired. Mason fired. Clem fired. Wacker fired. Gutey fired. Dutcher resigned. HOLTZ BAILED. Salem fired. Stoll fired.

+1000. I was in elementary when Holtz left.

This does get tiring. How did we not go through this every year of the 90's with Clem? I realize the internet/twitter weren't around to spread rumors, but I literally don't recall ever hearing a single one about him?

didn't really ever have it "closed" the term reopened usually referrers to when a player de-commits. In this case Ellison had said he was down to 6 and then said he wasn't.

I think right when the rumors started flying. And I'm being serious about the timing, I'm not serious about Pitino leaving. That would be a tough one to recover from for his image to be jumping ship this quick. Or it might be tough on our image seeing as Richard could just have Rick bash us in the media.

Saul Philips ew, no.

Tim Miles #1 candidate

Archie Miller Top 5

FLIP? um....no

SHAKA? Of course!

SLICK CAL? We'll never be that desperate.

I'd add Tad Boyle, Mark Fox and Baldy McBalderson to the list.

Interesting with all this "communication between camps for awhile" that Pitino has found so much time for recruiting visits.

I'm not saying one way or another whether I think he is leaving or staying, but Richard would continue to do his job in the meantime regardless.

I did, however, find it interesting that papa Pitino had nothing to say about his son at his end of year press conference. Rick was a fountain of information about players leaving early for the pros, up to 3 players likely transferring, his schedule, his returning players, performance, etc. Very candid about everything but this. Clearly I didn't expect Rick to come out and say Richard was talking to Alabama, but it was an odd response. What isn't being said in either camp is a little telling to me.

didn't really ever have it "closed" the term reopened usually referrers to when a player de-commits. In this case Ellison had said he was down to 6 and then said he wasn't.

And he said this in the last day?

I'm not saying one way or another whether I think he is leaving or staying, but Richard would continue to do his job in the meantime regardless.

I did, however, find it interesting that papa Pitino had nothing to say about his son at his end of year press conference. Rick was a fountain of information about players leaving early for the pros, up to 3 players likely transferring, his schedule, his returning players, performance, etc. Very candid about everything but this. Clearly I didn't expect Rick to come out and say Richard was talking to Alabama, but it was an odd response. What isn't being said in either camp is a little telling to me.

get over it. Richard has stated that he admires how Billy Donovan stayed at florida. I doubt Richard leaves. He may have taken a phone call to be polite but I would be very surprised to see him leave(or see that this rumor is true what-so-ever as the media is probably just using us for clicks, they have to do something during the summer)

Or it might be tough on our image seeing as Richard could just have Rick bash us in the media.

Rest assured if Richard leaves Minnesota, eventually at some point Rick will have something to say about Minnesota, and I'm guessing it won't be all that flattering. Rick should spend more time worrying about his own program than commenting on his son's team/program (and its shortcomings).

And he said this in the last day?

Must have been about a week or 2 ago. (March 10th by 247 as the same day or the day after they ran the article saying he was down to 6, he said he wasn't on twitter)

How did we not go through this every year of the 90's with Clem? I realize the internet/twitter weren't around to spread rumors,

You answered your own question.

Must have been about a week or 2 ago. (March 10th by 247 as the same day or the day after they ran the article saying he was down to 6, he said he wasn't on twitter)

Which is darn close to when Pitino's name started getting spit around the Alabama Tree....

dude I'm onto something!

ALIENS2.gif

get over it. Richard has stated that he admires how Billy Donovan stayed at florida. I doubt Richard leaves. He may have taken a phone call to be polite but I would be very surprised to see him leave(or see that this rumor is true what-so-ever as the media is probably just using us for clicks, they have to do something during the summer)

I'm not sitting in a corner of a room in the fetal position. I'm just offering an opinion, as you are.

My money is still on him staying, but I've also not been naive enough to believe everything that I've heard. He also said he could see himself staying here forever, about two hours after his plane landed for the first time.

I think Scools had it right....if he will be looking every spring, I'd rather it be now.

I think Scools had it right....if he will be looking every spring, I'd rather it be now.

Agree with that as well. We're in Year 3 and we're officially in rebuilding mode, so if he's going to fly the coop now would be the time. Next year we're basically starting over from scratch no matter who the coach is. It just becomes a matter of how many of Pitino's recruits would keep their commitments (if the new coach wants them) or (presumably) follow him to his new new school.

Top Bottom