All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

get over it. Richard has stated that he admires how Billy Donovan stayed at florida. I doubt Richard leaves. He may have taken a phone call to be polite but I would be very surprised to see him leave(or see that this rumor is true what-so-ever as the media is probably just using us for clicks, they have to do something during the summer)

OK, but this was reported by Rayno in the Star Trib today (OK, I know that's not Woodward and Bernstein). If he really does want to stay here, it wouldn't hurt for him to make a statement (even in his blog post) that he intends to stay here.

Agree with that as well. We're in Year 3 and we're officially in rebuilding mode, so if he's going to fly the coop now would be the time. Next year we're basically starting over from scratch no matter who the coach is. It just becomes a matter of how many of Pitino's recruits would keep their commitments (if the new coach wants them) or (presumably) follow him to his new new school.

True, but this timing would be particularly damaging from the standpoint of the good and large recruiting class coming in - or not coming in, possibly, if he left. This is admittedly a disaster scenario, but imagine the next coach having to fill SEVERAL scholarships at the last minute in order to just field a team. The program would be a smoldering pile of rubble.

I doubt the interest in Richard is substantial if it's even real. Even if it were, I think Teague would do whatever it takes to keep him. I don't think his and Richard's rapport is fake or an act. Plus Alabama just killed a once young and promising coach, despite all the money they could throw at the program. I think Richard rides out this job until we get the facilities and establishes that he can actually build a program.

If he really does want to stay here, it wouldn't hurt for him to make a statement (even in his blog post) that he intends to stay here.

I guess his last blog was kinda vague?

"The Future - We are excited about next season and beyond. We will likely have at least eight freshman and sophomores. We will be one of the youngest teams in the Big Ten but that excites me!"

"Schedule - We are currently in the process of planning a foreign trip in August. We will be able to get ten days of practice as well some games versus good competition. The timing is perfect for such a young team. Incoming freshmen will be allowed to play on this trip. As I stated earlier we are looking to add another game against a high major opponent in December. We are still not sure if it will start at our place or on the road. We believe our Big Ten/ACC Challenge game will be home but we don't know that for sure yet. We have a bunch of good options on the board. We hope to complete that soon."

"Recruiting - We have three scholarships still available and we are currently involved with several prospects for next season. Having three open doesn't mean we have to use them all, obviously. We believe we will have a top-25 recruiting class when it's all said and done. Dorsey, Dupree, Jarvis, and Jonathan all excite me. They will need to be ready to contribute right away! We hit the road again in April to watch prospects on their AAU teams for two weekends in what is called the evaluation period. Closing down the borders in Minnesota is vital! Thanks again to everyone again for their support!"

One possibility: If Alabama hires Gregg Marshall an announcement will follow from Richard he's happy at Minnesota...or if he gets word he's not in the mix at Alabama. But dad could have easily said Richard will be at Minnesota for a long time and did not....that's telling.

I guess his last blog was kinda vague?

"The Future - We are excited about next season and beyond. We will likely have at least eight freshman and sophomores. We will be one of the youngest teams in the Big Ten but that excites me!"

"Schedule - We are currently in the process of planning a foreign trip in August. We will be able to get ten days of practice as well some games versus good competition. The timing is perfect for such a young team. Incoming freshmen will be allowed to play on this trip. As I stated earlier we are looking to add another game against a high major opponent in December. We are still not sure if it will start at our place or on the road. We believe our Big Ten/ACC Challenge game will be home but we don't know that for sure yet. We have a bunch of good options on the board. We hope to complete that soon."

"Recruiting - We have three scholarships still available and we are currently involved with several prospects for next season. Having three open doesn't mean we have to use them all, obviously. We believe we will have a top-25 recruiting class when it's all said and done. Dorsey, Dupree, Jarvis, and Jonathan all excite me. They will need to be ready to contribute right away! We hit the road again in April to watch prospects on their AAU teams for two weekends in what is called the evaluation period. Closing down the borders in Minnesota is vital! Thanks again to everyone again for their support!"

He's not stupid and nobody had offered him a job then either...these guys gotta listen when opportunities come up. Things change.

One possibility: If Alabama hires Gregg Marshall an announcement will follow from Richard he's happy at Minnesota...or if he gets word he's not in the mix at Alabama. But dad could have easily said Richard will be at Minnesota for a long time and did not....that's telling.

what exactly is it telling us? That Rick gave a no comment after he lost a OT game to get to the final four?

We are all CRAZY.

I'm in here for the entertainment. If he leaves he leaves, if he stays he stays. I'm not going anywhere. I don't believe Rayno, she's still reporting that Alvin Ellis was given his ok to leave, thats how current she's been in recent reporting. SHE believes in Sasquatch...

Richards open to hearing job opportunities just like I am. Makes me feel wanted. He's always going to be part of the conversation because he's young and his name is nice on letterhead.

He's not stupid and nobody had offered him a job then either...these guys gotta listen when opportunities come up. Things change.

Then why do some want him to issue a statement or comment on it in a blog?

The only way I see Pitino being interested in Alabama is if they offer the same kind of money ($3 million) to him that they are at Marshall. Isn't Forde mostly a football writer? I don't put much stock into what he says since Sunday he wrote in an article that Marshall had told Alabama to not even bother when the Texas job opened up and then the very next day the Alabama AD was meeting with Marshall. Alabama can have as much interest as they want in Pitino but what really matters is does Pitino have interest in Alabama and I don't think so unless it is a huge raise.

Teague will find a good replacement if Richard does leave us. We need to trust the our president and Athletic Dept want winning programs. Gopher hoops has a long rebuilding process that would take a huge step back if he does leave. We are two years away currently. If Richard goes, it will set us back at least 3 or possibly 4.

I am on record as saying he will stay.....

Teague will find a good replacement if Richard does leave us. We need to trust the our president and Athletic Dept want winning programs. Gopher hoops has a long rebuilding process that would take a huge step back if he does leave. We are two years away currently. If Richard goes, it will set us back at least 3 or possibly 4. I am on record as saying he will stay.....

Agree with this.

And even if Richard does want to leave, the negative recruiting he'd have against him by longer tenured coaches would be tough to overcome at his new job. I'm sure it will already start for him here thanks to the rumors.

Agree with this.

And even if Richard does want to leave, the negative recruiting he'd have against him by longer tenured coaches would be tough to overcome at his new job. I'm sure it will already start for him here thanks to the rumors.

Izzo to the NBA. Bo is going to retire. Crean is gonna get fired. There are rumors no matter who you are or where you are. And it only takes one family member to believe them and you are not getting that recruit. It's all part of sales and overcoming objections.

It is everyone on this board that is too blame for the ridiculous rumors. 37 pages and counting about a new coach that has stated emphatically that he would like to stay here for a long time.

We have got to get out of this inferiority complex that has everyone thinking that we are just a stepping stone program. How many times do you have to be told that a good B1G program is a destination job! How many times do you have to be told that B1G coaches never leave. How many times do you have to be told that we have one of the best fan bases in the country. How many times do you have to be told that we have one of the best game atmospheres in the country. No, we are not a Duke, but we can easily be a MSU.

It is not healthy for the fan base to constantly be doubting and whining about being inferior.

Richard isn't going anywhere and stupid speculation by "reporter" means nothing.

We need to just laugh off these stupid rumors. And just shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the AD. He certainly can not tell me who is on his list but he can tell me who is not. Pitino's got very little steam right now. He has his chance to build up a buzz at Minnesota. All these hacks want is clicks on their site and will throw out names. Agents of coaches also provide rumors to make it appear the demand for their guy is strong. He was not even the top choice here and his stock is not up. I think he may very well do a good job at U of M if given time.

Not on the list is a little different than 4th on the list. Have things changed in the last four days?

If Pitino goes, he goes. It is clear that he (or his agent) is playing the game.

Fact is, he is only a D-1 coach at his age because of his father. He may end up being great or may not. Same as the next coach if he leaves.

Have to say I have more and more respect for Jerry Kill who doesn't embrace "whoring" (sorry but that is what it is) himself out to be in the media, get a raise etc.

Maybe Calipari's kid will be available if Pitino goes.

No, i was given 3 names so the best he could be is 4th. In other news Tony Bennett turned down the Texas job today at 3.5 per

No, i was given 3 names so the best he could be is 4th. In other news Tony Bennett turned down the Texas job today at 3.5 per

Not sure I buy that. Was that before or after it was offered Shaka Smart and Greg Marshall?

Seth Davis says 1st choice for the back to back ACC Champion coach, 2 times national coach of the year and one of only two to do that at 2 different schools.

I agree with Reusse and Baraero that Norwood needs to put this to rest within 24 hours. The longer this festers, the least likely we are to
get Ellis or some other recruits the program desperately needs. If he is gone, good riddance as it will make it much more difficult for him
to get established in Bama. His best opportunity to compete for a "Big Job" is to have success in Minnesota. I think he is a very good coach
and will be successful here, but it is going to take at least 3 more years.

OK, but this was reported by Rayno in the Star Trib today (OK, I know that's not Woodward and Bernstein). If he really does want to stay here, it wouldn't hurt for him to make a statement (even in his blog post) that he intends to stay here.

Pat Forde actually had a note about it in his column first...that they were in contact.

exactly. This is Pitino's agent doing his job to boost value by profile. It is up to Richard to put a end to it and make it clear he wants to win here and create the first substance of his career. Unless he wants to leave or his ego needs it. Depends on what he values. Most people have money and prestige on the top of the list, some want to establish something meaningful, some community, some climate, and on and on

When did we become Wisconsin football? Coaches don't leave us every year or two. We fire them.

Top Bottom