All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

If you don't mind my asking, how do you know who is included in Tennessee's top five?

Was wondering the same thing as he posted Pitino not on the St John's AD's list either which may all be true.

I would guess Bobby Hurley under strong consideration at St John's.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Tennessee and St. John's are interested in Pitino but I think when all is said and done he will be coaching the Gophers next year. I think Tennessee will end up with the Louisiana Tech coach Michael White and St. John's will end up with Bobby Hurley although I've seen some say their top target will be Chris Mullin.

Was wondering the same thing as he posted Pitino not on the St John's AD's list either which may all be true.

I would guess Bobby Hurley under strong consideration at St John's.

If you wanted to appoint a coach who would have instant goodwill in that location, you couldn't do better than Bobby Hurley (OK, I guess Mark Jackson would be better but not many others).

Yep, Hurley to Saint John's makes perfect sense. Have to believe he'd covet that job, much more so than DePaul.

Realistic candidates
Michael White, Louisiana Tech: He turned it down last season, but things have changed. White had his top three players coming back the last time. Now, Speedy Smith and Raheem Appleby are graduating.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota: He hasn't gone to the NCAA tourney in his two seasons at Minnesota, but he's young and his last name is Pitino. That helps.

There was 6 other Realistic candidates listed and 2 long shots and then this

My choice
Pitino. He's done a good job at Minnesota, especially when you factor in what he inherited from the Tubby Smith regime. The Golden Gophers won the NIT in his first season, and while some may view this year (the team went 18-15) as a disappointment, he really didn't have that much talent to work with. Pitino is young and while he doesn't have the energy of a Pearl, he has a personality that would work in Knoxville.

I know the AD. He certainly can not tell me who is on his list but he can tell me who is not. Pitino's got very little steam right now. He has his chance to build up a buzz at Minnesota. All these hacks want is clicks on their site and will throw out names. Agents of coaches also provide rumors to make it appear the demand for their guy is strong. He was not even the top choice here and his stock is not up. I think he may very well do a good job at U of M if given time.

I know the AD. He certainly can not tell me who is on his list but he can tell me who is not. Pitino's got very little steam right now. He has his chance to build up a buzz at Minnesota. All these hacks want is clicks on their site and will throw out names. Agents of coaches also provide rumors to make it appear the demand for their guy is strong. He was not even the top choice here and his stock is not up. I think he may very well do a good job at U of M if given time.

what's his name? ......

Lol Wow

I am simply amazed that there are 43 pages devoted to determining whether or not Pitino will leave MN at this point in time. It is quite hilarious to me, 43 PAGES!!! Dam, kind of sad actually.....

Dave Hart and he has more direct power with the new alliance to academics .

Maybe Saul smith will be our next coach. Is he a villa 7 guy. Better call Saul!

Pitino is not going anyplace....

Realistic candidates
Michael White, Louisiana Tech: He turned it down last season, but things have changed. White had his top three players coming back the last time. Now, Speedy Smith and Raheem Appleby are graduating.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota: He hasn't gone to the NCAA tourney in his two seasons at Minnesota, but he's young and his last name is Pitino. That helps.

There was 6 other Realistic candidates listed and 2 long shots and then this

My choice
Pitino. He's done a good job at Minnesota, especially when you factor in what he inherited from the Tubby Smith regime. The Golden Gophers won the NIT in his first season, and while some may view this year (the team went 18-15) as a disappointment, he really didn't have that much talent to work with. Pitino is young and while he doesn't have the energy of a Pearl, he has a personality that would work in Knoxville.
Really great job not making NIT ...

I want you all to be the first to know the latest:

I, station19, tinyarch, and killjoy will be the new coaching staff for the Golden Gophers.

Parski will be our director of recruiting.

I am simply amazed that there are 43 pages devoted to determining whether or not Pitino will leave MN at this point in time. It is quite hilarious to me, 43 PAGES!!! Dam, kind of sad actually.....

This thread was started nearly a year ago. And it's the offseason, there really isn't much to talk about.

I don't think Pitino would go to Tennessee unless he thought he'd be in trouble here in the next couple of years. St. John's concerns me slightly, but the way the Lavin deal went down makes me think that they already have a strong candidate in place (ex the Mullin rumors). Earlier this week, Adam Zagoria reported that there was a bit of a struggle going on between various factions (including boosters at St. John's) about whether or not to extend Lavin.

The more interesting thing to me is that Pitino is clearly putting his name out there. It could be as simple as trying to get a raise, but it also could have to do with Admissions/Academic support related issues or the open ended time from for the facilities upgrade. It's very possible he's trying to posture for higher pay and/or more power. Whatever the reason is, Pitino/Teague need to get on the same page or move on from one another. It doesn't help the program to have Pitino's name out there and it doesn't help Pitino to continually have his name out there (if he ends up staying). He's really the only high major guy being associated with open jobs which is not a good look for either side.

My goal is for it to be the longest thread in GH history when Pitino finally leaves 10 years from now. Or at least pass the Shaka Smart at the View thread.

My goal is for it to be the longest thread in GH history when Pitino finally leaves 10 years from now. Or at least pass the Shaka Smart at the View thread.

Without richmondinsider's assistance, it'll never happen. :drink::drink::drink:

Can we be honest? No major conference team is hiring Richard Pitino in 2015. While he clearly has an agent who is good at calling Myron et al, he is at least one year of success away from a better job.

Tennessee would go crazy if they hired a 6-12 Big coach. Rightly so.

Fret not fellow Gopher fans.

I don't think Pitino would go to Tennessee unless he thought he'd be in trouble here in the next couple of years. St. John's concerns me slightly, but the way the Lavin deal went down makes me think that they already have a strong candidate in place (ex the Mullin rumors). Earlier this week, Adam Zagoria reported that there was a bit of a struggle going on between various factions (including boosters at St. John's) about whether or not to extend Lavin.

The more interesting thing to me is that Pitino is clearly putting his name out there. It could be as simple as trying to get a raise, but it also could have to do with Admissions/Academic support related issues or the open ended time from for the facilities upgrade. It's very possible he's trying to posture for higher pay and/or more power. Whatever the reason is, Pitino/Teague need to get on the same page or move on from one another. It doesn't help the program to have Pitino's name out there and it doesn't help Pitino to continually have his name out there (if he ends up staying). He's really the only high major guy being associated with open jobs which is not a good look for either side.
Doesn't mean he's putting his name out there. Schools have openings they have their lust of candidates. Pitino is young ambitious and has a prestigious name. Shaka name gets thrown out every year it's not hurting vcu. Losing is what will hurt the program not internet rumors designed to get clicks from "sources"

I finally had to look up to see who this guy is. From Wisconsin and went to Mankato State. Oops. Fail.

Without richmondinsider's assistance, it'll never happen. :drink::drink::drink:

Hmm. Well, if Pitino leaves I heard we're getting Shaka with Chris Mooney as his assistant.

There, that's his bat signal...

There will be zero interest from any power conference schools. Right now he is not a coaching superstar. He has not proven that he can build a winner on any level.

I would think the last thing we would have to worry about after this past season is that someone would try to hire our coach away.

I want you all to be the first to know the latest:

I, station19, tinyarch, and killjoy will be the new coaching staff for the Golden Gophers.

Parski will be our director of recruiting.

As long as I have all the authority and none of the responsibility.

For RP to leave soon it takes two. Is the equation at least 50% complete for several opportunities? Does the sun rise in the east? ;)

For RP to leave soon it takes two. Is the equation at least 50% complete for several opportunities? Does the sun rise in the east? ;)

Another cryptic message from GW. Let's see if I can unravel the mystery.

50% of the equation = RP has reached out to the several opportunities

Sun rise in the East = Yes

GW must have some high level sources.

GW is a mercurial character in an absurdist farce.

Thanks for the help with the sun part. The man is so deep that some of what he proclaims is indeed a mystery.

2% chance GW knows anything

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Richard Pitinois not interested in the St. John's job, per sources.</p>— Adam Zagoria(@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/581858060957810688">March 28, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Inspired by GW's cryptic message, I went to http://www.ichingonline.net/index.php
to ask the I Ching if Richard Pitino was leaving for another coaching job. I think it means he should stay. Maybe. Any other interpretations? GW?

Cast Hexagram:13 - Thirteen - T'ung Jên / Social Mechanism

Heaven reflects the Flame of clarity:
The Superior Person analyzes the various levels and working parts of the social structure, and uses them to advantage. [Interp. hence his name is mentioned and he uses this to his advantage]

Success if you keep to your course.
You may cross to the far shore. [Yikes! this could mean an east coast team...?]

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

This is a matter of Positioning -- not only yourself, but others as well.
There are niches to be filled, potentials to be realized, right livelihoods to be found.
You are not building a new organization, but shoring up an existing infrastructure.
It's worth the effort, because it will provide union, community, and an ironclad alliance.

Top Bottom