All Things Pharrel Payne Recruiting Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Have Offered)

• A reduction in men's basketball official visits for the 2021-22 academic year by five
  • Aggies just don’t have enough visits….(wishful thinking)
Be javonte brown’s backup for several years at a&m or be the starter at the U?

Well done! Again seems like a kid we can ignore the current * rankings, looks like a very nice get.

Super excited about Pharrel committing to the U! He is absolutely legit and is a top 100 talent in this class. Congrats to Ben and staff on getting this commitment. Looking forward to seeing Pharrel in maroon and gold!

Really nice pick up! He looks smooth both inside and out.

Newest Gophers commit Pharrel Payne talks about joining Minnesota basketball​

By Chris Monter

per Marcus:

he Big Ten is stacked with something first-year Gophers men's basketball coach Ben Johnson is missing in his program right now: a dominant inside presence.

Johnson need not look far to find one. They've been popping up right in his backyard – in the Land of 10,000 Big Men.

Two of Minnesota's most intriguing center prospects squared off Wednesday night, when Park of Cottage Grove played Holy Family. Fans were treated to a Big Ten-like frontcourt battle with 6-9 senior Pharrel Payne versus rising 6-11 junior Boden Kapke.

It was a glimpse into the future, especially since both players can picture themselves matching up with the bruisers in the Big Ten. Payne is already signed with the Gophers, and they have Kapke in their recruiting sights, too.

"I wish I could speed up the time," said Payne, who had 24 points and 17 rebounds in Park's win over Holy Family. "I look forward to getting out there and making a name for myself against those big players. Showing the Big Ten what I've got to offer."

Payne is another in a long line of talented big men to come from the Minnesota high school ranks, going back to the days when the Gophers were Big Man U, keeping local stars like Kevin McHale at home.

This year's projected No. 1 pick in the NBA draft could be another tall talent from Minnesota with 7-1 Gonzaga freshman Chet Holmgren, last year's high school player of the year at Minnehaha Academy.

Holmgren is likely to make it three straight years where a big man from Minnesota hears his name called in the NBA draft, following Zeke Nnaji (Hopkins) and ex-Gopher Daniel Oturu (Cretin-Derham Hall) in 2020 and Jericho Sims (Cristo Rey Jesuit) last summer.

"We're one of the best states for making bigs," Payne said. "It's a thing to be proud of."

Go Gophers!!

"I wish I could speed up the time," said Payne, who had 24 points and 17 rebounds in Park's win over Holy Family. "I look forward to getting out there and making a name for myself against those big players. Showing the Big Ten what I've got to offer."

"My man!" (said like Denzel Washington)

How did Kapke perform in this game? Anyone know?

Last edited:

"My man!" (said like Denzel Washington)

How did Kapke perform in this game? Anyone know?
Found the box score:
Kapke 16 pts, 11 rebounds, 1 block, 4 turnovers, 3 fouls.

Anybody make it to the HF v Park game by chance? Was looking to see if anyone had to insight to offer on the matchup.

Full game on this link.
If Payne would have had a little more touch around the rim he probably would have went for 30. It was a crazy game for him by any means, had some sweet dunks, but looked solid. You can tell he is a good athlete, and is playing a fairly skilled big as well.

If Payne would have had a little more touch around the rim he probably would have went for 30. It was a crazy game for him by any means, had some sweet dunks, but looked solid. You can tell he is a good athlete, and is playing a fairly skilled big as well.
Yes, think you're right. Kind of a quiet 24-17. One time in particular he just raced down the court to get back defensively. Looks like he has a good wing span, thick lower body. Got to the line a lot.
Like the other kid also. He was sturdier than I suspected. Thought they gave him too much rest on the bench. Holy Family plays that zone, so it's difficult to tell if he's a good defender.

Last edited:

per Marcus:

he Big Ten is stacked with something first-year Gophers men's basketball coach Ben Johnson is missing in his program right now: a dominant inside presence.

Johnson need not look far to find one. They've been popping up right in his backyard – in the Land of 10,000 Big Men.

Two of Minnesota's most intriguing center prospects squared off Wednesday night, when Park of Cottage Grove played Holy Family. Fans were treated to a Big Ten-like frontcourt battle with 6-9 senior Pharrel Payne versus rising 6-11 junior Boden Kapke.

It was a glimpse into the future, especially since both players can picture themselves matching up with the bruisers in the Big Ten. Payne is already signed with the Gophers, and they have Kapke in their recruiting sights, too.

Payne is another in a long line of talented big men to come from the Minnesota high school ranks, going back to the days when the Gophers were Big Man U, keeping local stars like Kevin McHale at home.

This year's projected No. 1 pick in the NBA draft could be another tall talent from Minnesota with 7-1 Gonzaga freshman Chet Holmgren, last year's high school player of the year at Minnehaha Academy.

Holmgren is likely to make it three straight years where a big man from Minnesota hears his name called in the NBA draft, following Zeke Nnaji (Hopkins) and ex-Gopher Daniel Oturu (Cretin-Derham Hall) in 2020 and Jericho Sims (Cristo Rey Jesuit) last summer.

"We're one of the best states for making bigs," Payne said. "It's a thing to be proud of."

Go Gophers!!
Doubt Chet's gonna go number one, but I think he will be in the 3-5 range

I'll be surprised if he doesn't start next year.
Looking at the roster I would have to agree. Probably him and a transfer big? Ihnen, Thompson, Fox at the 4. Anybody's guess is as good as mine at the 1-3. I'd assume we find a transfer PG/SG to start and possibly Henley or Ola Joseph at the 3? Carrington getting solid minutes at the 1/2 maybe.

Top Bottom